• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

I am addicted to cab Air

Are you smoking cab air?

• Yes, it turns me on

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • On some special occasions

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Never. I don't find it useful

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I was not aware of that parameter

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters

Piing

Forum Addict
Best answers
Short story:

I’ve just found that I am addicted to the Air parameter from the CAB block.

Long story:

I believe that this started with the Axe-FX Ultra. I loved to tweak all the advanced parameters, so I probably got a good tone with the Air parameter engaged and I used it as a template to create other presets. Then I transported them to the Axe-FX II, and continued creating all my presets with that base.

Now I was creating my Axe-FX III presets around my favorite ones imported from the Axe-FX II.

I forgot about that parameter, but the other day I found that there was sound spilling when I muted all the 4 CABs at the cab block; it was not completely muted. I was about to open a bug report, but then I realized that I had the Air parameter at 33%.

Today I’ve spent some time browsing CABs just to find that I don’t like most of them if I don't give them some air. The highs sound too harsh and buzzy to my ears. The Air has become like an instant-satisfaction button for me.

Am I the only addicted?

Last edited:

Justmc

Inspired
Best answers
I've been adding some Air for a while now. Was using about 10% on the Axefx 2 to get a more amp in the room feel . With the Axefx 3 , 5% seems to be the magic # for me . Brings the patch to life .

Pombero

Inspired
Best answers
Yep, I put it at like 20-30% on all the cab blocks. It is awesome and can replace a little reverb.

zenaxe

Fractal Fanatic
Best answers
I do not use it 100% of the time but I do use it to taste as needed, it really brings some dark cabs to life.

Honestly, the cab block is probably the one block I really 'tweak' the most on the II and III.

On the Ultra I used to touch a lot of params in the amp block, by the time we got to Quantum on the II it was down to almost nothing non-standard, except for some cool experimental "mod" stuff (variac, tube type PPIMV); ditto on the III.

andyp13

Forum Addict
Best answers
Am I doing something wrong, after reading the posts I thought I must try the cab air...I adjusted both the Cab Air which was at 0% all the way up to 100% and heard no difference at all? I also adjusted the room size again with no audible effect? Does the Axe III need to be at gig volume to hear a difference - I tried this at low volume.

Justmc

Inspired
Best answers
On the III it appears to be more intense than the II . A little goes a long way. Very audible to me .

Gordon-

New here
Best answers
Very new to this and haven't really experimented with this yet. Are there any good tutorial videos on these parameters that you could point me too please?

Many thanks,

G.

TruckstopChuckie

New here
Best answers
A must when just sitting and playing for myself! Brings a lot to the table I think, at least when playing through studio monitors. Without it it’s too much ‘in your face’, and as others have pointed out, it sweetens the top end a little (I also tend to use the low/hi-cut in the cab block - and always this before reaching for the eq block).

yek

Best answers
Am I doing something wrong, after reading the posts I thought I must try the cab air...I adjusted both the Cab Air which was at 0% all the way up to 100% and heard no difference at all? I also adjusted the room size again with no audible effect? Does the Axe III need to be at gig volume to hear a difference - I tried this at low volume.
Try it with a distorted tone.

To hear its effect by itself, mute all cab channels except one, point that one to an empty cab slot, and then turn up AIR.

I used to add AIR, years ago. I don't anymore and I don't miss it. I think of it as the "cardboard" parameter.

effulgent

Inspired
Best answers
Try it with a distorted tone.

To hear its effect by itself, mute all cab channels except one, point that one to an empty cab slot, and then turn up AIR.

I used to add AIR, years ago. I don't anymore and I don't miss it. I think of it as the "cardboard" parameter.
Can you explain why you don't use it anymore?

Top Bottom