How to setup EV-1 as Wah?

ZebulaJams

I just got the EV-1 pedal for Christmas and I'm having hard time understanding how to set it up. I have read the manual and it doesn't mention anything about setting the pedal up for WAH. I have also sifted through Leon's videos and he mentioned to plug the pedal into the "Pedal" port. However the Axe FX III does not have a "Pedal" port, rather it has an "Expression" port. It seems like everyone I look up on YouTube has the FC to plug their pedal into, are you unable to use the WAH block with the EV-1 unless you have a FC?

Side note: I have my guitar running into the "In" jack on the EV-1, then a cable running to the "instrument" jack on the Axe FX unit going to the "Out" jack on the pedal, then I have one more cable running from the "Expression" port on the pedal to the "Expression" port on the unit. I can use the pedal for volume, but that's about it. In all, I would like to be able to use the pedal for WAH and Expression (similar to the intro of Xanadu by Rush), depending on what I am playing. Is this achievable with just the EV-1?

Thanks.

I just got the EV-1 pedal for Christmas and I'm having hard time understanding how to set it up. I have read the manual and it doesn't mention anything about setting the pedal up for WAH. I have also sifted through Leon's videos and he mentioned to plug the pedal into the "Pedal" port. However the Axe FX III does not have a "Pedal" port, rather it has an "Expression" port. It seems like everyone I look up on YouTube has the FC to plug their pedal into, are you unable to use the WAH block with the EV-1 unless you have a FC?

Side note: I have my guitar running into the "In" jack on the EV-1, then a cable running to the "instrument" jack on the Axe FX unit going to the "Out" jack on the pedal, then I have one more cable running from the "Expression" port on the pedal to the "Expression" port on the unit. I can use the pedal for volume, but that's about it. In all, I would like to be able to use the pedal for WAH and Expression (similar to the intro of Xanadu by Rush), depending on what I am playing. Is this achievable with just the EV-1?

Thanks.

I should mention that I have attached the WAH block to my preset and tried changing the Source 1 Control to every option that is available and still no luck.

I just got the EV-1 pedal for Christmas and I'm having hard time understanding how to set it up. I have read the manual and it doesn't mention anything about setting the pedal up for WAH.

from the manual, page 54:Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 12.32.42 PM.png

I have also sifted through Leon's videos and he mentioned to plug the pedal into the "Pedal" port. However the Axe FX III does not have a "Pedal" port, rather it has an "Expression" port. It seems like everyone I look up on YouTube has the FC to plug their pedal into, are you unable to use the WAH block with the EV-1 unless you have a FC?
the Expression Ports are the correct ports to use for expression pedals. on some gear, these ports are called "Pedal Ports." it's the same thing.

Side note: I have my guitar running into the "In" jack on the EV-1, then a cable running to the "instrument" jack on the Axe FX unit going to the "Out" jack on the pedal, then I have one more cable running from the "Expression" port on the pedal to the "Expression" port on the unit.
you can't use both the analog volume function and the expression function at the same time. unplug the cables from the In and Out jacks of the EV-1.

you need a TRS cable from the Expression port on the EV-1 connected to an Expression jack on the Axe-Fx III. the setup is also in the Axe-Fx III manual, page 12:

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 12.35.42 PM.png

from the manual, page 54:View attachment 76744

the Expression Ports are the correct ports to use for expression pedals. on some gear, these ports are called "Pedal Ports." it's the same thing.

you can't use both the analog volume function and the expression function at the same time. unplug the cables from the In and Out jacks of the EV-1.

you need a TRS cable from the Expression port on the EV-1 connected to an Expression jack on the Axe-Fx III. the setup is also in the Axe-Fx III manual, page 12:

View attachment 76745
I will give this a try, thank you! I guess I was looking at the wrong manual - I had the one that was directly about the EV-1 and how to plug it in. The two page one.

from the manual, page 54:View attachment 76744

View attachment 76745
Follow up, I'm not sure if you saw my update post that I forgot to include in the original, I have already tried setting the pedal to every option in the "Source" under the "Wah Config" and it still does not recognize the pedal at all.

Other thoughts?

Thanks.
You are going to have problems tying to do both actions (expression and physical volume) at once. Even if you could get the Wah working, your volume will also be going up and down as you work the Wah.

You can get a single expression pedal to work as a (virtual) Volume and a Wah with some clever routing and switching.

You are going to have problems tying to do both actions (expression and physical volume) at once. Even if you could get the Wah working, your volume will also be going up and down as you work the Wah.

So should I just have the guitar running to the "In" and then the "Out" running to the "Instrument" on the Axe FX?

These are the Wah settings for this particular preset. Read up on the parameters with a '?'

Axe-Fx III modifier 2.png

I have just added the EV-1 as a Wah pedal to my Axe FX III MK II + FC-12. Everything is working great; except, I haven't figured out how to disable the EV-1/Wah when I don't want it. Anyone know how to do that? Ideally there would be a FC switch for this IMO, but haven't found it yet.

Thanks!

I have just added the EV-1 as a Wah pedal to my Axe FX III MK II + FC-12. Everything is working great; except, I haven't figured out how to disable the EV-1/Wah when I don't want it. Anyone know how to do that? Ideally there would be a FC switch for this IMO, but haven't found it yet.

Thanks!

You could of course configure an FC switch to bypass the Wah Block, but it's probably more convenient to use the "Auto Engage" feature in the "Edit Modifier" page. See page 58 in the manual.

@ZebulaJams
It’s important that you understand that expression pedals only control parameters inside the Axe Fx, and have no wah sound of their own. Without this firmly in your head, it might be harder to grasp the great instructions provided by @chris and @Moke above. Just so you know, those two guys are among the very best at using these functions and pedals, and at explaining those uses to others, so you are in good hands.

Just think of the expression pedals as a remote hand turning a “knob” inside your unit, raising and lowering that control as you move the pedal. You assign what it’s controlling by assigning it in the Axe Fx. Auto-engage, a very powerful function, can be used at the same time so that a certain portion on one end of the pedal travel also turns the effect on or off.

Back
Top Bottom