How to setup EV-1 as Wah?

@ZebulaJams
It’s important that you understand that expression pedals only control parameters inside the Axe Fx, and have no wah sound of their own. Without this firmly in your head, it might be harder to grasp the great instructions provided by @chris and @Moke above. Just so you know, those two guys are among the very best at using these functions and pedals, and at explaining those uses to others, so you are in good hands.

Just think of the expression pedals as a remote hand turning a “knob” inside your unit, raising and lowering that control as you move the pedal. You assign what it’s controlling by assigning it in the Axe Fx. Auto-engage, a very powerful function, can be used at the same time so that a certain portion on one end of the pedal travel also turns the effect on or off.
Once you wrap yer head around that, consider that the same remote hand can turn more than one knob at a time, and it can be different knobs in every preset if you want it....
🥴

@ZebulaJams
It’s important that you understand that expression pedals only control parameters inside the Axe Fx, and have no wah sound of their own. Without this firmly in your head, it might be harder to grasp the great instructions provided by @chris and @Moke above. Just so you know, those two guys are among the very best at using these functions and pedals, and at explaining those uses to others, so you are in good hands.

Just think of the expression pedals as a remote hand turning a “knob” inside your unit, raising and lowering that control as you move the pedal. You assign what it’s controlling by assigning it in the Axe Fx. Auto-engage, a very powerful function, can be used at the same time so that a certain portion on one end of the pedal travel also turns the effect on or off.

No I fully understand that, absolutely. The pedal now functions but only moves the WAH parameter between .00 and .05. I have calibrated it multiple times and reset the unit. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Currently have my guitar running directly in to the Axe FX 3 and then the EV-1 running directly into the Expression port on the unit. Thoughts?

Once you wrap yer head around that, consider that the same remote hand can turn more than one knob at a time, and it can be different knobs in every preset if you want it....
🥴

For the record, I don't think that the pedal is a WAH pedal. I understand that it is a controller to control the parameters on the blocks. I just can't get it to function that way.

No I fully understand that, absolutely. The pedal now functions but only moves the WAH parameter between .00 and .05. I have calibrated it multiple times and reset the unit. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Currently have my guitar running directly in to the Axe FX 3 and then the EV-1 running directly into the Expression port on the unit. Thoughts?
Please post screenshots of your controller settings.

Sounds like you need a specific cable to make the unit work?
Yes.. a (three wire) balanced TRS x TRS cable. Should be in the pedal manual?
Something like this? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1036635-REG/pearstone_pm_trs06_pm_series_trs_m_to.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI:514&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_qD_BRDiARIsANjZ2LDnwxlsoAtlOOUxPrLw99xu7Qy79lmZvTpc4mxEJjfhxgiOjM1klkwaAr7XEALw_wcB

No audio goes through the cable so technically the quality doesn't matter as much. But a better cable will last longer and give you less troubles.

Yes.. a (three wire) balanced TRS x TRS cable. Should be in the pedal manual?
Something like this? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1036635-REG/pearstone_pm_trs06_pm_series_trs_m_to.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI:514&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_qD_BRDiARIsANjZ2LDnwxlsoAtlOOUxPrLw99xu7Qy79lmZvTpc4mxEJjfhxgiOjM1klkwaAr7XEALw_wcB

No audio goes through the cable so technically the quality doesn't matter as much. But a better cable will last longer and give you less troubles.

I see. Wish I would have known that when the pedal was bought or it was mentioned on the product page of the pedal. Fair enough - I'll buy one and see if it makes a difference. Thanks to everyone for their help and patience.

I see. Wish I would have known that when the pedal was bought or it was mentioned on the product page of the pedal. Fair enough - I'll buy one and see if it makes a difference. Thanks to everyone for their help and patience.
They are fairly common. If you have a music store near you, and they are open, you should be able to find one. If not, the internet has them. You can get the parts and make one at the perfect length if you are handy with a solder gun.

It's one of the first things mentioned in the 'Product Guide' PDF. But not in the 'Overview' on the website.

Last edited:
It will make a difference as that's the only way it will work is with a TRS cable. Make sure you re-calibrate the pedal after you get the TRS cable.

I see it’s already been covered but, yes, a TRS cable is needed, as shown at the top of the product guide:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/ev-1/EV-1_Product-Guide.PDF

I'm having a problem using the EV-1 as wah. Can't get it to sound good. Watching the control knob, when it hits around 50% it jumps straight up to 100%. in that 5-10 range it has a very unpleasant sound. When I calibrated, it didn't run smoothly either, a little after halfway it slows down. I've tried other TRS cables to make sure that isn't the issue (I'm using a new cable). Any advice would be appreciated.

Any chance you have a multimeter? If it was mine, I’d probably check to see if the resistance between tip and ring on the end of the TRS cable ,downstream from the Ev-1, was in the range of zero - 100k when moving the pedal from heal down to toe down. Do both ends of the cable feel solidly engaged in their respective jacks? No “special” curves applied when setting up this pedal to handle the Wah duties? Best of luck, Lee

Any chance you have a multimeter? If it was mine, I’d probably check to see if the resistance between tip and ring on the end of the TRS cable ,downstream from the Ev-1, was in the range of zero - 100k when moving the pedal from heal down to toe down. Do both ends of the cable feel solidly engaged in their respective jacks? No “special” curves applied when setting up this pedal to handle the Wah duties? Best of luck, Lee
Thanks, all connections are good, was hoping there was a setting I was missing that but maybe the pedal is the problem.

Back
Top Bottom