How to look dumb 101

fremen

Axe-Master
Vendor
Rehearse with a ten piece band. Play a U2 medley ending with "Where the streets have no name". Stop everything just after starting, shouting "sorry guys, the delays are out of sync, dunno why, but I'm sure I did store the preset at the correct tempo before". Correct the tempo (around 126 will do it), store the preset.
Repeat at rehearsal 2. And then at rehearsal 3, and rehearsal 4.

After one month of rehearsals, finally notice the "tempo to use" parameter was on "global", not "preset". doh.

So, if you downloaded or asked for my presets, you know what to do ;)

LOL - that's thrown me in the past too... could not figure out how when switching presets my delays (which spill over) were getting out of whack... till I figured the exact same thing out.

....at least it was only at rehearsals and not a live gig ;)
I have better tricks in my hood for live display of dumbness, like hitting preset #4 (Fender clean) instead of #9 (ubermetallead) for my "impress the guitar players in the audience" wankfest shred solo spot, or starting a big show in a festival with that powerfull big sustaining powerchord, without turning my Nady transmitter on ;)

I have better tricks in my hood for live display of dumbness, like hitting preset #4 (Fender clean) instead of #9 (ubermetallead) for my "impress the guitar players in the audience" wankfest shred solo spot, or starting a big show in a festival with that powerfull big sustaining powerchord, without turning my Nady transmitter on ;)

Sidenote: I saw Loverboy opening up for someone way back when...and on their big song and set finale (Turn me loose...) He steps up into the spotlight, stadium eager for that big power chord, pick and arm back, swing hard and...NOTHING...no sound...moment LOST! He quick head turns offstage, and the guitar kicks in on an off chord...ugh, they continue, but methinks a guitar tech lost his job that day...

But then again, it was only Albuquerque...

R

Reecently played a high profile corportate show, where there were awards presented during the night, so all my pedals were moved back on my amp with guitar still on stage. Confirmed with the stage manager that the running sheet is correct - we DO have 5 minutes after we walk on stage to get organised and check tuning. Yes, no problem.

So you know what's coming: They introduced us before we walked back on stage, I hurriedly put the MFC back out front, pedals still disconnected, started to tune while the stage manager is yelling out "START NOW, START NOW", so the drummer starts up, I hit the first chord - someone has obviously knocked the guitar during presentations, all top 3 strings are way out :evil

I glared at the stage manager, who wisely was not seen for the rest of the night.

Not remembering to flip my amp off standby has gotten me a few times. Especially when it's in an isolation cab.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about that with my AxeFX.

Drummer starts up, you hit that opening chord, and...nothing. Check my knobs...all turned up. Check the Axe...getting signal. Check the preset...it's the right one. What the fudge????

Oh yeah, this is the patch where I've got the expression pedal assigned to volume. Rock that sucker forward. Try to look cool when you do it, like you meant it to happen that way. Four bars in, and you can finally join the band. By the third song, the red has finally drained out of your face. :)

i think i win:

"owner of a lonely heart" intro; 800 hundred in the audience; after the short drum break, guitar totally silent !!
20 seconds of the worst imprecations ever heard, trying to incinerate the sound guy with my x-ray sight, only to find out that i wacked off the volume knob on the guitar.
of course the official explanation was "bad instrument jack" :-D

Playing the solo with "I don't need to look at the fret board during the solo" which was flawless, when suddenly my eyes met my girlfriend's in the audience and she is making painful facial gestures. Yeah, the solo was perfectly executed 1 fret higher...

Many moons ago I was playing a backwoods bar in WI, (that's kind of redundant), and I see some hotties at a table across the dance floor. My solo is coming up, so to impress the girls, I decide to jump off the stage and run over to their table just in time to start the solo so I can melt their faces off. (Silly boys) Right as I'm getting to the table, I hit a wet spot on the floor, my feet go flying out from under me and I am suddenly lying on my back in the middle of a puddle from a spilled drink. I would love to say that I still played the solo flawlessly, but we all know that didn't happen. :roll At least I gave the girls a good laugh. :lol

Let's see.. hard to pick one :lol

I was playing in this summerparty where I work and after I had too many beers (cutting that one out, it does not make you play better, at all)

we were playing "summer of 69", hence the summerparty, and we all know about this part after the B-part where the bass hangs and nothing but the guitar plays the melody right?

ah what the hell, why don't I just give you all a good laugh:

So as the video implies: don't drink and drive or worse, play the guitar!

Cliff, I'm sorry if my playing in this video brings shame to the axe-fx, as I was going FOH/FRFR.

I think we all could agree on , I should rather have been going NOWHERE/OR ANYWHERE ELSE.

Come on guys, we all have great stories. Let's see some more proof, hehe! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom