How many of you are running stereo to FOH?

I go mono to FOH. I don’t really see a benefit to stereo in a live setting where room acoustics have a great effect and a stereo signal only further complicates matters.

My band has two guitarists as well, and we get slightly panned to our respective sides in the mix. So stereo makes even less sense for me.

I never ran a stereo rig using traditional amps, so no need to do that now with a modeler. I am one of two guitarists. The style of music we do (Heart tribute, so 70's-80's rock) does not require any elaborate effects.

I actually run two mono signals to FOH, one is for acoustic and one is electric. My presets are panned to the appropriate side.

I do run my keyboards in stereo though. Soundguys are more used to that coming from keys. But I could send a mono signal for those rare occasions where they don't have enough channels.

After reading the last few posts, I have changed my mind and will stick with the traditional mono mode for FOH and monitoring. It has worked well for years for me and can definitely use the time practicing, rather than tweaking presets. I too play in a setting with another guitarist, where we pan a bit to the L/R of the stage depending where we are standing. Best to keep sleeping dogs lay. MHO

I run stereo FOH and mono to a monitor. I am the only guitarist and tend to really like the way stereo delays sound when soloing (I use the 75% delay time trick). I also use a few stereo sweeps to create some atmospherics on certain parts.

I agree though that some of this can be lost in the audience, especially if not handled by the sound person correctly.

The reason for my double post is that I was trying to ask the following question; if running stereo to FOH, is your monitor setup stereo as well?
My monitor setup was stereo when I used FRFR speakers, now I use in-ears and they remain stereo.

My band's our PA system is also stereo, and we always run stereo to any clubs with an in-house PA as well. Makes a big difference, and most people aren't parked in front of one set of mains or the other, so most people get the full effect, especially when I have things set "wide"!

I have been running stereo since the summer of 1991, pre-FractalAudio (I was using ADA at the time, with the split stack!) Back then, there were 2 guitarists, and I was panned L+R in stereo and the other right up the middle, since he didn't use many effects.

Now I am in a Guitar/Bass/Drums/Vocalist band (3 of us sing), so I have a lot more to fill in, and our sound man says the stereo sounds wonderful in this context, especially when I am being overtly stereo effects heavy in some sections.

Last edited:
Is there a quick way of checking my effects (delay, reverb) to ensure that they will not degrade if if I just grab the left XLR for FOH?

Is there a quick way of checking my effects (delay, reverb) to ensure that they will not degrade if if I just grab the left XLR for FOH?
You can tell the FM3 or FX3 to use stereo or mono in the settings, and easily switch back and forth as you're testing.

Using FM3-Edit, look in Setup -> Audio/USB -> OUT 1 CONFIG -> Mode, or OUT 2 CONFIG -> Mode.

Using Axe-Edit, look in the same path except it's "Audio" instead of "Audio/USB", and each OUT block has its own setting.

Pick whichever output you need to test, and click or TAB to the "Mode" label which will select the box. Use the up/down keys to scroll through them.

The "Mono and stereo" page in the Wiki talks about the various settings.

Last edited:
Are there specific settings in reverb and delay that ensure the effect is not degraded if mono is used, or am I asking the same question?

My monitor setup was stereo when I used FRFR speakers, now I use in-ears and they remain stereo.

My band's our PA system is also stereo, and we always run stereo to any clubs with an in-house PA as well. Makes a big difference, and most people aren't parked in front of one set of mains or the other, so most people get the full effect, especially when I have things set "wide"!

I have been running stereo since the summer of 1991, pre-FractalAudio (I was using ADA at the time, with the split stack!) Back then, there were 2 guitarists, and I was panned L+R in stereo and the other right up the middle, since he didn't use many effects.

Now I am in a Guitar/Bass/Drums/Vocalist band (3 of us sing), so I have a lot more to fill in, and our sound man says the stereo sounds wonderful in this context, especially when I am being overtly stereo effects heavy in some sections.
Back in the 80s I ran my ADA into a Digitech 128+ then a 300W QSC power amp into the ADA split cabs (each 2x12). It was really great sounding, especially the ADA chorus. I think this is where I learned to love running stereo. I still kind of wish I had those split cabs.

it really depends on what the stereo feed actually is. if your clean tone was left only and your lead tone was right only, then i can see there being a great imbalance for the audience.

but if left and right just have differen cabs/IRs, and there's slight stereo effects where each side basically gets the same information, i don't see the issue. i run stereo at gigs with a stereo setup. even if just my lead delay is slightly different in left and right, it creates a nice effect. if the far right side of house isn't feeling that - it's ok because it's the "mono" signal they'd get otherwise.

i don't know any audience member who would complain about knowing he didn't get the perfect stereo signal. they don't know what it could sound like, so they just take in what they're getting wherever they are sitting.

i think the "problem with stereo" is a bit of overthinking (in most cases, depending on what exactly the stereo signal is made of).

-
adding a bit. it also helps to think of the guitar in terms of the entire mix. if i'm in a duo or trio, i'm definitely running stereo to get as much depth as possible with such few instruments. in a 10 piece band, i'll still send stereo if possible, but only have my lead or "solo" moments utilize it. for rhythm i'd keep it programmed as mono.

it all depends on the function of the guitar in context with everything else.

Last edited:
Something else to think about: if the house is stereo, and you're sending a stereo mix that you want to be preserved, you're limiting the sound guy's options to pan you where he needs you.
Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. Great point.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. Great point.
if that's a great point (which i agree), then the whole "audience doesn't get anything out of stereo" idea goes out the window the same way.

just saying that there isn't a difference between a guitar signal being stereo on its own vs mono signals being panned creatively in the mix. if "one side won't hear things" in one situation, the same applies to the other.

that's why i think the "one side won't hear things" idea isn't really that applicable (again depending on the specifics of the stereo mix).

If you're playing rooms of any size at all...you will sound better in mono in FOH.
It's always been that way.
Think about it.
If a person is sitting on the left of the venue, all they hear is the left side of the speakers...especially if it's crowded.
So all the stuff you have going on in the right side? Gone to them.
Same for the people on the right hand side as well...they don't hear what's coming out of the left.
Even the people in the center aren't hearing all that fancy panning you might have going on the way you intended it.
You are in a mix. People in the crowd themselves will cancel out a lot of frequencies and make the mix sound different everywhere you go.

I first ran a stereo rig back in the mid 1980's. Mesa preamp -> Simulclass 295 -> 2 4x12 cabs mic'ed up.
Sounded fat and glorious onstage. But I had the cabs side by side right behind me. So of course it sounded fat.
But it was all center panned out front of house.
And when I went out with my wireless to the soundboard he showed me the difference.
He panned it stereo out front and it sounded thinner and "meh"
Center panned? BOOM! There it was.

Keep in mind we were playing hair band stuff: Bon Jovi, Poison, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, etc. So I wanted my guitar to have plenty of focus and power.

I'm sure that huge bands (if there are any left) playing stadiums with multi-million dollar P.A. systems have some way to technically make a stereo guitar sound great in the mix.
But for the rest of us...nope.
Especially when most of the gigs I play have house sound and house soundmen.
I want my guitar to sound consistent and powerful.

If a person is sitting on the left of the venue, all they hear is the left side of the speakers...especially if it's crowded.
So all the stuff you have going on in the right side? Gone to them.
Same for the people on the right hand side as well...they don't hear what's coming out of the left.
Even the people in the center aren't hearing all that fancy panning you might have going on the way you intended it.
what's the downside of this?

also, you can have some sounds be mono (same signal sent to 2 channels panned = center) and other sounds in stereo when needed. it's not all or nothing.

and if the crowd themselves will cancel out frequencies and make the mix sound different everywhere, what does that do to a mono signal?

Stereo since 1995 (Boss GX-700, Roland VG-8...) both at home and the stage. The main tone is usually centered, but some delays, reverbs, chorus, rotary, different CABs for L and R channels, etc. benefit from the stereo field.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom