How many of you are running stereo to FOH?

Akstrat

Experienced
My keyboard player runs stereo to FOH. He asked me last weekend, if I had ever tried running stereo to FOH, I answered no. Really no reason, just thought a mono feed would be good enough. I'm wondering how many of you are running stereo? Recommendations for a stereo cord or are you using two regular xlr's? Thanks and have a great gigging weekend!

I run stereo guitar and stereo keys. I know that unless you're standing in the perfect spot, you won't get the full stereo spread, however, I still think it sounds cool and creates a 3D soundscape so things sound slightly different as the audience moves around.

I just use Hosa a dual TS 1/4" cable for both.

The reason for my double post is that I was trying to ask the following question; if running stereo to FOH, is your monitor setup stereo as well?

in your other (duplicate) thread, you asked about monitoring: my monitor is mono. I really could care less if I can even hear my guitar when I gig, since I know it sounds good to the audience. I just have a single ZLX-12P monitor that I get a feed from the mixer (Behringer X32) and I can mix it myself on my iPad.

PS: You can always just edit your post(s) if you need to :)

My keyboard player runs stereo to FOH. He asked me last weekend, if I had ever tried running stereo to FOH, I answered no. Really no reason, just thought a mono feed would be good enough. I'm wondering how many of you are running stereo? Recommendations for a stereo cord or are you using two regular xlr's? Thanks and have a great gigging weekend!
I run stereo to our split on stage, so front of house has me in stereo, and I am also stereo in my in ear monitors. It sounds so good! I’ve had to do a handful of gigs with somebody else’s PA and had to go mono, and it was a real letdown. Once you get used to hearing those stereo effects, you’ll never want to go back!

For a while, I would send stereo to foh at my church… but I would get a mono monitor feed. I don’t have the option of using a monitor, so I’m stuck w/iem.

They don’t have enough channels to send a stereo monitor mix, nor add any room ambience. So what I’m listening to is…. Well…dull to say the least.

Sean Meredith-Jones

I do ... but my stuff will sum to mono ok. Most if not all places we normally play support stereo (though some I think pan centre .... the soundguy controls all from an iPad while wandering around so who knows what the hell he gets up to) - we hire stereo capable rigs when needed ... so I've got away with it so far

Home: stereo
Gig: mono

At a gig I just send the left or right output to FOH. No need to change settings if you know what you’re doing when creating presets.
I do ... but my stuff will sum to mono ok. Most if not all places we normally play support stereo (though some I think pan centre .... the soundguy controls all from an iPad while wandering around so who knows what the hell he gets up to) - we hire stereo capable rigs when needed ... so I've got away with it so far

^^ what they said

The stereo things I use are a different cab L/R, offset stereo delay, and maybe some reverb. Usually I had the sound guy two XLR's and ask for them to be panned hard L/R. I've tried all variations of it at our rehearsal space and basically:

• I don't really care / doesn't matter which channel actually ends up on which side
  • If the system ends up being mono for some reason there are no phase issues; only thing is the delay sounds a bit more dense
  • If I only get one channel, the delay sounds a little less dense. The cabs, though different L/R, aren't drastically so and either one works fine on its own

I run the monitor in mono; if I do get a true stereo mix FOH then I'll feed the monitor whichever side I'm standing closer to, but it doesn't really matter. I don't really like a lot of stage volume.

Thanks for the replies. We have the ability with my Midas board and stage box to run stereo. I’m going to pan hard L/R and link the channels for the sound guy. I also have the ability in my studio to run into two K12’s for trials. My stage monitor is a RCF NX-12SMA and I’m happy with mono there. Two much hassle at gigs to set up a stereo monitor rig. I’m getting to the point in the learning curve to experiment with the stereo options. I have the feeling I’m going to want another expression pedal? Let the games begin!

Mono.

Stereo is about balance, and few seats in the house get that. Everyone else gets less and less the farther from that perfect center they are, to a point where they only hear half the sound. It is inspiring for the musicians on stage though, and I can imagine using it for monitoring. I’d like to do that, but it’s impractical for a lot of stages I encounter (interacting with the crowd at stage-front made IEMs impossible), so mono makes it both easier and more consistent for me.

At home, stereo is easy and sounds great to the whole audience… which is just me.

Last edited:
Mono.

Stereo is about balance, and few seats in the house get that. Everyone else gets less and less the farther from that perfect center they are, to a point where they only hear half the sound. It is inspiring for the musicians on stage though, and I can imagine using it for monitoring. I’d like to do that, but it’s impractical for a lot of stages I encounter (interacting with the crowd at stage-front made IEMs impossible), so mono makes it both easier and more consistent for me.

At home, stereo is easy and sounds great to the whole audience… which is just me.
Agreed 100%.

I have had a lot of conversations about this with folks online and in person. The stereo champs usually end up with “well….you’re just not doing it right”.

Anecdotally, 150 gigs a year for the last 20 years or so and I don’t think I have met a sound engineer or tech worth their salt, in studio or live, who is enthusiastic about stereo setups. Mono all the way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom