How did all the water get on planet earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What always amazes me is how little water there really is compared to the scale of the Earth. We think of the oceans as being so deep and vast but if you scaled earth down to the size of a billiard ball, it would be just about as smooth as one. Put another way, if the earth was the size of a basketball, you could easily wipe away all the oceans with a single paper towel.

all-the-worlds-water.jpg

Last edited:
What always amazes me is how little water there really is compared to the scale of the Earth. We think of the oceans as being so deep and vast but if you scaled earth down to the size of a billiard ball, it would be just about as smooth as one. Put another way, if the earth was the size of a basketball, you could easily wipe away all the oceans with a single paper towel.

all-the-worlds-water.jpg
I wonder if "Liquid fresh water" should have been labeled "Liquid fresh water contained in plastic bottles". :-/

My personal theory, based on conjecture:

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe. When the earth was forming by sweeping up whatever it encountered as it sped through space, it likely encountered a lot of hydrogen, and swept that up too. The earth was hot then, with lots of volcanos and stuff. Some of that hydrogen burned. When you burn hydrogen you get water.

I tend to believe the theory primarily that when the earth was still very hot (Hadean Era) volcanic out gassing added water vapor to the atmosphere, which condensed, then flooded the earth with water. Comets and asteroids probably brought additional water to earth.

Something like that, lol. I'm definitely paraphrasing.

Last edited:
My personal theory, based on conjecture:

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe. When the earth was forming by sweeping up whatever it encountered as it sped through space, it likely encountered a lot of hydrogen, and swept that up too. The earth was hot then, with lots of volcanos and stuff. Some of that hydrogen burned. When you burn hydrogen you get water.
Burn? In the early stages of the earth's formation, something necessary for that to occur was entirely absent :).

Burn? In the early stages of the earth's formation, something necessary for that to occur was entirely absent :).
Entirely? Bound oxygen has been around for a long time. Some reduction must have occurred.

Or maybe you’re right. :)

If we were discussing this at MIT they might laugh at us. Probably not at Cliff though, because I think he is a MIT graduate and is smart as fuck.

Fire Tetrahedron - Fire Triangle

A fire burns due to the presence of three elements: fuel, oxygen and heat. This is often referred to as the fire triangle. Sometimes it is known as the fire tetrahedron if a fourth element is added: a chemical chain reaction which can help sustain certain types of fire.

Let me go check my Bible and get right back to you with THE correct answer. :)

(Sorry, my inner George Carlin has been wanting out and rattling in his cage
for days now.) :)
It's an interesting discussion, but not the place to bring it up on this forum. The creation vs. evolution discussion has been the endless debate among those with faith-based mindsets and theorists alike.

If perhaps you'd like to explore creationism vs. evolution, feel free to PM me. Because of forum rules, we can't discuss certain topics on this forum, but may do so privately.

If perhaps you were just being a bit sarcastic regards Carlin, I can understand that. Yet, if you have questions, I'd be more than happy to share some thoughts that some scientists and doctors say about creation vs. evolution, via PM.

Was the AxeFx created or did it evolve?
You could likewise ask, why does a cat tend to land on its feet, or why does a cat's eye's pupil open vertically? Not so much, why do people think giant lizards are the forebears of birds? Why do birds enjoy birdbaths? Not so much, why does Twitter involve so much misinformation in society?

Yup. From the nemesis of lizards and amphibians the trend "evolves" into Twitter.

Fractal devices are the product of human engineering, from the minds of technical people who know music and tone. Essentially, a gift from men who used their God-given brains to create FAS products. Think of it. We use about 10% of our current brains, but have the capacity to create untold works of art, music, architecture, just to name a few.

I hope, someday, that mankind realizes its error, because we've given people the wrong idea that a T Rex is nothing more than the ancestor of a big bird. I think my virtual cat's kibble dish would like to make the difference in this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom