Help with Deluxe Tweed. Almost Unplayable

Andre Antunes

Inspired
Hello guys,

The Deluxe Tweed model is sounding way too strange for a guitar amp. It has that "flubby blocking distorion" at whatever drive and treble settings I get.

The wiki says "For Neil Young's Tweed Deluxe tone: crank both Drive and Treble " -> Well, It's just not working, not even close.

Probably that's the way the amp is supposed to sound. It's just strange, I guess. Is it normal?

Check out the Wiki on this amp, which has bottom end issues at high drive levels. That said, the only thing I've ever changed on this amp is to hit the bass cut in the amp block and it sounds killer. Not sure why you're having problems unless you have incredibly high output pickups.

The Tweed Deluxe is one of my all time favorite amps.
The sound of blues, old dusty rock and soul.
Minor tweaks to the stock version / preset and a OH Silver Alnico or Jensen speaker IR and I'm i heaven with strats, teles, ES 345 and ES 330.
Takes boosts and mid-gain (TS style) pedals like a champ. Add a bit of tape delay, trem or spring verb and you can do a lot with that amp.

Those amps have a ton of blocking distortion. Not every amp will sound good with every guitar and one person's "flubby blocking distortion" is another person's perfect tone.

Which is part of what makes the Axe such a great unit, because like with real amps, different guitars may (or may not) play well with them.

Lesser units work, but sound rather the same, with any guitar you plug into them. Being able to model a given amp, warts and all, is really a testament to the realism Cliff & Co. have achieved.

Luckily, with 199 other great amp models to choose from, you should be able to find one that works great with your guitar and gives you the tones your after

Cheers

Plus, there are so many pre/post tone, drive, and compression parameters in the amp block; you can shape most things you dont like right out.

I don't know diddly about Neil Young tone, but when I've played this amp in person it was so loud I had to keep the volume/drive knob down extremely low to avoid going deaf. Doesn't get too blocky and flubby sounding with the volume way down, but you can also remove some of it by adding negative feedback to the amp in the advanced parameters and then increase the amp's natural gain with less of that effect.

You'll probably have better luck with single coils for the Tweed Deluxe. High output humbuckers with a lot of bass will likely sound like poop without some tweaking. Roll off some bass with the low cut switch, bass knob, or low cut parameters to reduce the blocking distortion. Cranking the treble control will help too. Keep in mind the real Tweed Deluxe has only a volume and a tone knob, which is modeled by the treble control in the Axe II. Leave the bass and mid knobs at 5 to mimic the original circuit. If you want a similar tweed vibe with less blocking distortion, try the 59 Bassman model. The higher wattage design gives it more headroom, and the full tone stack gives it a bit more versatility. You can switch the tube type on the Bassman from 6L6 to 6V6 and lower the negative feedback if you want it closer to the Tweed Deluxe sound. 6V6's have a unique "chewy" harmonic sound to their breakup.

...when I've played this amp in person it was so loud I had to keep the volume/drive knob down extremely low to avoid going deaf.

Yep. It's easy to forget how loud some of these amps really are when they break up. Getting a real Twin Reverb to really break up is downright painfully loud. However, it's super easy in the Axe II. That interaction between distortion and volume that happens in a real tube amp and cab is a very different experience compared to the Axe II and monitors or headphones. The tone is there, but the gut shaking volume is not. It's a blessing for recording, but it takes quite a bit of getting used to live.

Back
Top Bottom