Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m upping my 401k contribution percentage today. Even if I haven’t timed the bottom it’s a nice place to start. End of last year, fearing a market correction, I moved about 85% to low risk investments so I’m very happy about that (although I wasn’t thinking about a pandemic style correction). Time to jump in on this fire sale.

TFSA's and RRSP's in Canada. I put some money into a TFSA yesterday and I've already lost money. I think I'm going to just leave it in a high interest e-account for now and wait for the market to hopefully show signs of bottoming out...at some point. I also teach, so if they close the school, who knows what will happen next fall. No Sept. start-up = no revenue = no paycheck!

I’m upping my 401k contribution percentage today. Even if I haven’t timed the bottom it’s a nice place to start. End of last year, fearing a market correction, I moved about 85% to low risk investments so I’m very happy about that (although I wasn’t thinking about a pandemic style correction). Time to jump in on this fire sale.

Agreed - everything is on sale. yeah - I've lost a ton of money in the last 2 weeks - but now is the time to beef up the ol 401k - my wife and I are now both maxed out with our contributions. We both still have 14 more years until retirement - so a long ride. And historically money is made in recessions. Once everything calms down, the market will come roaring back.

Toopy14:
So much for kids not being susceptible.

"Baby boy among 17 new COVID-19 cases in Ontario"
I don't think anyone ever claimed kids were not susceptible. (Whoever said that? Did you see someone claim that?)

As I understand it, Wuhan Flu infects basically anyone. But the symptoms can be more or less severe by age:
  • kids (generally understood as toddlers to teenagers) tend to shrug it off as an unusually long cold with a mild fever;
  • adults tend to experience it more like a flu with a longer-lasting fever and a dry cough which takes a while to go away;
  • the elderly and persons with chronic health problems often have the dry cough turn into viral pneumonia, which can kill.

I don't know that anyone has claimed kids were immune to getting it.

They observed that kids tended to get it and then not experience symptoms that were as severe as those of adults.

And I don't know whether anyone intended to include newborn infants in the category "kids." Toddlers and babies aren't quite the same thing. There may not have been enough very-young babies for us to know how it affects them.

Not sure whether this YT article has been posted yet. It's long but contains a lot of concise information from an apparent expert, it seems.

I don't think anyone ever claimed kids were not susceptible. (Whoever said that? Did you see someone claim that?)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...erly-understanding-why-may-help-defeat-virus/

I don't know that anyone has claimed kids were immune to getting it.

I didn't claim kids were immune...my exact words were...'not as susceptible' as per articles I read and statistics I've seen.

Obviously, there are still a lot of variables and the situation is extremely dynamic.

Our so-called leaders are working on a spending bill to fight the virus. As if throwing money at the problem will magically make the virus go away. That's all they understand: problem = spend money (and make sure my crony friends and family profit).

Bunch of friggin' idiots. They should shut everything down, quarantine the outbreak zones, sterilize public spaces. But, nope, we'll piss away tens of billions of dollars instead.

"One thing that I believe may have saved me from getting worse respiratory symptoms is the fact that I consistently took Sudafed, used Afrin nasal spray (3 sprays in each nostril, 3 days at a time and then 3 days off), and used a Neti pot (with purified water). This could have kept my sinuses clear and prevented the symptoms from spreading to my lungs. This is not medical advice: I’m simply sharing what I did and correlating it with the fact that I had no respiratory symptoms. The two could be entirely unrelated based on the viral strain and viral load that I received. .."

Due to a lifetime of severe allergies, which has led to complications with my hearing (and all that goes along with that), I have found that the only thing that has made a significant dent in my allergies was sinus irrigation. Due to one horrendous sinus infection, I tried it out of desperation, and it worked great for clearing that up And for my allergies - it has restored my hearing.

Been using sinus irrigation for the last 11? years.. maybe longer... I think I have had two? or three? colds ...in those 11 years, and they have only been very-mild, lasting a few days.. No flu.

With kids in school - used to be, I would get a cold every year - sometimes twice a year.. They were severe, and they would last up-to two-weeks...

...Was going to say something about this the other day, but, I didn’t want to spread false hopes.

There has been statements that have been put-out there which state – clearly – that sinus irrigation does Not prevent contracting this thing.

In the same statement it gives the nod to many reports where sinus irrigation has had an impact to alleviating and reducing symptoms of “the cold”.

Both of those statements are very-true in my experience.

And that’s as far as I want to go with that.

If you have sinus issues though.. :0)

If you are at the end of your rope and want to give sinus irrigation a try, Don’t get a neti-pot. Get one of these:

Amazon product ASIN B001CWT4JI

I make my own rinse.

1 gallon of distilled water. 1.35oz of pure salt – not table salt – table salt contains anti-clumping ingredients which can trigger allergy reactions. Morton’s Canning Salt (or the like) – pure salt, will do. ..You add it to the water to balance the water to your body’s PH. This is important.

In addition to the salt, I add 2.15oz of Xylitol. Xylitol is a sugar substitute which has anti-bacterial properties. It’s used in sugar-free foods (chewing gum) and also Nasal Sprays.

^^^…that is tuned to me.

...Everybody who is serious about sinus irrigation makes their own rinse, with a-little more of this, a-little less of the other, or use different ingredient entirely.

All my doctors have signed off on this treatment, and those ingredients, and regard the use of this treatment as safe.

I rinse at-least once a day, and have no-more real issues with sinus allergies..

Anything else? I wouldn’t want to get anybody’s hopes up. Might help. Might not. I just can't make statements in any regard outside of my own personal experience with it.

If you are at the end of your rope and want to give sinus irrigation a try, Don’t get a neti-pot. Get one of these:
I have a pretty well constant sinus issues, mostly in the winter but all year it can happen. I use a neti pot but am interested in what you have there. Except I am not able to see it. All I see is a sad looking piece of paper. Can you give the name of what you are talking about?

Thanks

1. The stock market has lost lost trillions in value and Trump's tax cut blew up the deficit by a another trillion. So a few 10s of billions of dollars of spending will be drop in the bucket (and, had his administration not done everything in its power to cut pandemic preparedness, would undoubtedly have saved a buttload of money in the long run if spent up front).
2. Fiscal stimulus will be necessary but will only be helpful if properly targeted: bailing out affected businesses (as usual--when, oh when, will the puerile fantasy of "free markets fix everything" finally be left on the rubbish heap of intellectual history where it belongs?), paying people (in some industries and locations) who cannot otherwise afford to do so to stay home, etc.
3. I'm an investor. What frightens me is not the virus, but the the utter lack of leadership--and worse, contempt for facts, demonstrated by this administration and its spokespeople from the beginning. To wit, "it's no worse than the common cold"--from our recent Congressional medal of freedom winner; "it'll be like a miracle, it'll just disappear"; "anyone who wants a test can get one", etc. Last night was a chance for the President to boldly assert leadership and provide a comprehensive, sensible plan. Did he succeed? The markets have spoken.
4. But hey, at least no one will bring the virus over from Europe.

My local news had a story on.. that they have a therapy for it, a cure. They said it was developed in the 1960's for Cancer.. it's called Oya 1. And it successfully stops reproduction of Covud19... for 8 days...
It's already gone through all clinical trials, and can be fast tracked into production.

Last edited:
I have a pretty well constant sinus issues, mostly in the winter but all year it can happen. I use a neti pot but am interested in what you have there. Except I am not able to see it. All I see is a sad looking piece of paper. Can you give the name of what you are talking about?

Thanks

It's called a SinuPulse Elite.. ..the pump is based on dental waterpick technology. I'm on my second machine. last one worked - with both me and The Wife using it daily - for six years. It's worth the cash if you are needing something like this.

1584033899239.png

I have had sinus issues since I have been a kid.. Over the years they have led to multiple hospitalizations including a complete rebuild of my left inner-ear, and removal of part of my skull that had rotted away due to years-long inner-ear infections.

...Literally.. For me.. It's been ... :0) ...great! :0)

Good luck with it!. ...They tried everything with me, from grommets to steroids to exposure therapies, medicines never worked. I was quite-literally left deaf at one point due to my allergies. ..This is the only thing that has worked.

Again, Good Luck with it. :0)

Last edited:
Our so-called leaders are working on a spending bill to fight the virus. As if throwing money at the problem will magically make the virus go away. That's all they understand: problem = spend money (and make sure my crony friends and family profit).

Bunch of friggin' idiots. They should shut everything down, quarantine the outbreak zones, sterilize public spaces. But, nope, we'll piss away tens of billions of dollars instead.
Current state of politics has me deeply cynical and jaded. I see everything through a "how did the people in the (house|senate|executive) vote on this and how did it benefit them personally?" lens now and I frigging hate that that is how I have to assess every decision politicians make.

The 2 infected co-workers are fine and will be soon back in the office, like a lot of quarantined workers. Sure, that means more work on my desk soon.
As Murphy’s law goes, I’ll be sick at the beginning of my holidays’ week...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom