Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is: This is bad, but let's not get carried away.

Have to agree here - particularly about the banks. Though it's possible I suppose, saying it's imminent seems way premature (and that sort of thing can become a self fulfilling prophecy). I feel like what started as a constructive "let's all pitch in and help" thread is turning into the mother of all doomsday threads.

Toilet paper, cancelled shows! These are nothing!

Be prepared, we will lose a lot of people. Bunch of our favorite bands will disappear. Members needs to be replaced.
Also, people we know will die. It will be a very sad year!

The current ratio is around 6% in Italy, so we will lose 3-6% of people we know! Let that sink in.

Friends, Family :(

And if you think even more ahead: Who will treat anything else, if the doctors get sick and 3-6% of them die?
Who will go out to the fires, who will get to your house if there was a trouble?
How many will die because of lack of public service?

Medicine shortages? Another bunch of people.

This is bigger than the virus.

Do you want to get prepared? Don't bother with the toilet seat! Get mosquito repellent!

Last edited:
Very first coronavirus impact has started for me. Agent emailed that all convention gigs for March & April are cancelled due to the virus.

The lethality of CoVid-19 depends strongly on your age and medical condition. If you are under 60 and healthy, you will experience anything from a slight cough to a half bad flu. I am not worried about the life of my children, my wife or my own. If we contract it, we could just stay at home under quarantine a few days and be done with it. And immune afterwards.

However, my 83 year old Mum with a heart condition is an entirely different story. The lethality among that demographic group is somewhere around 20%. And that is with a currently still functioning health system. (I live in Germany.) If the number of infections goes up too quickly - and it will due to the exponential growth if the government does not apply drastic measures - then the hospitals will be so overloaded with patients, especially elderly people with previous conditions, that they will not be able to give appropriate treatment. Without the possibility to receive treatment, a lot more people will die of an accompanying pneumonia or something similar. Lethality among the elderly and previously sick will go through the roof.

And I still see people writing on Facebook "it's just the sniffles". They should drive the 600 km down to Italy and ask the loved ones of the 196 people that died JUST YESTERDAY what they think about these "sniffles".

To clarify, you’re saying the worst possible issue is a half bad flu?
no, he's saying if you're under 60 and healthy it's most likely just as bad as a half bad flu

Correct. All the cases of young and healthy people here in Germany / Europe had a very mild flu, that was all. Italy published a demographic lethality rate recently: Under 40 lethality was 0.2%, 41-50 was 0.4%, 51-60 was 1.3%, 61-70 3.6%, 71-80 8.0%, and over 80 was 14.8%. The death cases under age 60 were usually people who had heart insufficiency, asthma, diabetes or any other previously existing complications.

So again - children and young / healthy people need not fear for their own life. But if you have loved ones over 70, they are an altogether different story. And of course an indirect danger is the possibility of it spreading so quickly that the entire health system will break down under the sheer load of infected people, then people will suffer and even die because treatment is unavailable, not only for Covid-19, but also entirely different diseases.

This twitter thread is interesting, it normalizes current CFRs of China, Italy, and Korea with each country's respective age distribution. Result is: China 2.3% -> 1.4%; S Korea 0.8% -> 0.6%; Italy 6.6% -> 2.0%. Italy's confirmed case pool is disproportionately old compared to the general population, seems to explain the high percentage.

I don't really understand the testing thing. I get that for political reasons, they might not want people to know how many are sick, which is bullshit enough, but how do they screw up getting the tests made? I mean, Korea and other countries seem to be able to test at will. Korea had freakin drive through testing sites. Shouldn't it be as simple as asking them, "hey, how did you do that?"

It must look strange to other countries that we've basically done zero so far. I guess we'll see if the shit hits the fan in a week or two.

It's not political, it's just the nature of a large bureaucracy possessed of many and varied laws, rules & regulations. The larger the government, the less competent it is. The more voluminous the laws, rules & regulations the tougher it is to get anything done and the rather vastly more difficult it is to do anything in a timely manner (or successfully). When even the New York Times clearly notes that government is the problem, you can bet that's the case.

Italy's confirmed case pool is disproportionately old compared to the general population, seems to explain the high percentage.
Exactly.
Anyway the first case in Italy was a 38 years old healthy athlete and he was kept on an ICU bed for 2 weeks, he's now healing but even if you're young and healthy you can't be sure to be safe, it's just less likely to go bad.
And it seems that the risk of complications for smokers is higher regardless of their age.

If the world was fair dinkum about getting this thing under control, every country would shut down every airport. It started in China and only got out of there because people did. As long as the airports are open the spread will continue. If each country was a virtual island, there would be a much better chance of containment and control but when new carriers are waltzing through the airport everyday, no wonder it's out of control. Imagine the spin off benefit to the climate if we shut down the airports :eek:

Most of my family are back east and are big supporters of the current administration.
Some of the stuff I've read on FB the past week is making me smash my head against the wall.

"The media is blowing this so out of proportion. We won't cancel the upcoming marathon because we're 'Boston Strong'!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom