Having trouble finding good info on drop tuning FRFR setup

Uesr

I play drop C in a hard rock (wouldn't say metal, but some songs 'get there') band with an off the boat Russian (hard hitting) drummer. I just made the AXE FX II XL+ purchase and I've been driving myself nuts looking at the different speaker options.

I was originally looking at the Matrix FR12, so I emailed them and their response was that the FR12 was not going to give me the bottom end I'd want for drop C tuning.

I've looked at the following:
- Gemini 1 & 2 (2 is a little high $$ at $1,500)
- Friedman ASM-12
- Atomic CLR (apparently they only have the NEO option available now?? Would this work for me?)
- Mackie HD1221

I still don't have answers as to what will handle what I need (doesn't have to be one of the above):
- Drop C tuning
- Enough volume to get over a rather heavy hitting drummer
- Falls in my price range (REALLY want to keep it to $1,000 or lower)
- Would have liked a lightweight option, but that's looking like it's not a possibility right now.

Are you only considering FRFR or is a regular cab an option (either with standalone power amp or using a tube amp power section)?

Are you only considering FRFR or is a regular cab an option (either with standalone power amp or using a tube amp power section)?

I currently have a Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo. For the time being when my AXE FX arrives, I'm gonna run through that (using the FX loop Return I believe), but I want the extended abilities that an FRFR get me. I want to be able to fully utilize the Cab IRs in AXE FX so when I go to record, I know (pretty closely) what it's going to sound like exactly, and have consistent tone live > rehearsal > recording.

Just keep in mind that you'll want to cut a ton of low end using an FRFR. You want clarity in the low notes, and a regular guitar cab will already naturally have a limited low end. An FRFR will want to reproduce more of it and it will clash with the other instruments in that 50hz range. Cutting low end won't make the note disappear, but give clarity like I mentioned.

Plenty of low end in most any FRFR speaker, as long as they go down to about 50hz, and most respond lower at around -1db. I play an 8 string tuned to G on the 8th and B on the 7th, and even the little JBL LSR studio monitors had plenty of low end, too much in fact, I had to use the low cut.

That's valid. I'd suggest it's not a bad idea to play through the Roadster combo for a bit to see how you get along with it. Try it with power amp and cab off of course, but don't be scared to try it with power amp and/or cab on. I've been using my Matrix power amp and Mesa 2x12 cabs and it's pretty awesome with drop C (I turn off power amp and cab sims). I may consider FRFR at some point too because of the power of IRs. I kinda have my eye on Xitone, Friedman, and Atomic. Good luck with your search!

That's valid. I'd suggest it's not a bad idea to play through the Roadster combo for a bit to see how you get along with it. Try it with power amp and cab off of course, but don't be scared to try it with power amp and/or cab on. I've been using my Matrix power amp and Mesa 2x12 cabs and it's pretty awesome with drop C (I turn off power amp and cab sims). I may consider FRFR at some point too because of the power of IRs. I kinda have my eye on Xitone, Friedman, and Atomic. Good luck with your search!

Right, that's the other problem, I DON'T want to use my Mesa's power amp. That's part of the entire reason I got the AXE FX. As much as I love the Mesa, lately I've been feeling it's lacking in clarity for full chords (what I'm looking for is the pristine clarity like in the opening of Dream Theater's Metropolis Pt 1.)

Plenty of low end in most any FRFR speaker, as long as they go down to about 50hz, and most respond lower at around -1db. I play an 8 string tuned to G on the 8th and B on the 7th, and even the little JBL LSR studio monitors had plenty of low end, too much in fact, I had to use the low cut.

Are those JBLs rehearsal volume quality? (In case you couldn't tell, I'm a bit of a novice at this FRFR / monitor stuff)

I'm getting quite sick of the search tbh...

Just keep in mind that you'll want to cut a ton of low end using an FRFR. You want clarity in the low notes, and a regular guitar cab will already naturally have a limited low end. An FRFR will want to reproduce more of it and it will clash with the other instruments in that 50hz range. Cutting low end won't make the note disappear, but give clarity like I mentioned.

I have no problem cutting the low freq out, what I'm looking for here (specifically in this thread) is, a solid personally tested suggestion/opinion on an FRFR speaker that I wont regret the purchase on. If I have to go up to $1,500 so be it, but I don't want to make a purchase and feel like it's lacking in:
1) Volume
2) Clarity
3) Is cumbersome to use
4) Works without problem in drop C

I have two EV ELX115Ps talk about crushing volume!!! Best metal sound I've ever got! That's lots of gear to haul though. Also, I've never played these in a loud band setting. I've played them beside my roadster though and they smoke it! it's getting mushy befor the EVs break a sweat.

I had the CLR and it was good but a bit bright in the high end for me so I went back to a guitar cab. It was just a bit to hifi for me.

Also take a look at Accugroove and Xitone. I think those sound the best from the Youtube videos I have heard. An Xitone is probably in my future plans you can get those custom made to order in about any color and combination.

Are those JBLs rehearsal volume quality? (In case you couldn't tell, I'm a bit of a novice at this FRFR / monitor stuff)

I'm getting quite sick of the search tbh...

No studio monitor is SPL capable of band rehearsal levels as far as I know.

What @chris said. Drop-C tuning gives you a few extra low notes to play with, but it's not the fundamental frequencies that count when you're reaching that low—it's the harmonics. If you try to compete in the low end, you'll get buried by the rhythm section.

Long story short: the job of reproducing drop-C is essentially the same as reproducing a guitar that's using standard tuning. Don't sweat whether the speaker is "optimized" for drop-C. There's no such thing, unless you're playing unaccompanied in the bedroom at low levels.

What @chris said. Drop-C tuning gives you a few extra low notes to play with, but it's not the fundamental frequencies that count when you're reaching that low—it's the harmonics. If you try to compete in the low end, you'll get buried by the rhythm section.

Long story short: the job of reproducing drop-C is essentially the same as reproducing a guitar that's using standard tuning. Don't sweat whether the speaker is "optimized" for drop-C. There's no such thing, unless you're playing unaccompanied in the bedroom at low levels.

Appreciate the info here, I thin I'm gonna go with the Mission Engineering Gemini 2 or the Friedman ASM-12. Heard good things about both.

And a big thanks to everyone else here, can't wait to spend the next month dialing in tones!

Back
Top Bottom