Guitarjon's Tonematch/Preset request thread!

I've read that some people have difficulties when loading someone else's tonematch with another guitar.
It can be the case that the amount of gain doesn't match because of the output differences in the pick-ups, or the eq is a bit off.
This is kind of unavoidable but very easy to overcome.
Here is what you should do:

Load in the tonematch.
Use a guitar that is similar to the guitar used to do the tonematch (same types of pick-ups etc.).
Jam a bit and compare it to the soundclips I posted.
Does it sound good and is there a match? Then don't worry and play your guitar.
Does the guitar you are using have less output? Add some gain or input trim until the gain matches with the recording.
Is your guitar a bit brighter or duller then the one I used? Adjust the amp's EQ but not too much.

I posted here earlier about the Tonematch still remembering all the data from the match.
I was wrong, so if you feel that tweaking the amp eq a bit doesn't suffice you have to do both the reference and local procedure over again.
However, I think that tweaking the amp gain/imput trip, amp eq's and/or eve adding a PEQ block before the amp should be enough to get you really close with your own guitar.
I hope this helps!

I won't have a lot of time the coming days but I'll try to do some matches today!

Last edited:
Not trolling, been on this forum 4 years longer than you, just asked a simple question... It takes a whole minute to load up an mp3 into an editor and send to the axe and match. Most people don't have good results using other peoples matches. I'm wondering if he has something special that nobody else can do thus all the requests, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Yes it sounds lazy to me, glad he's here to help you guys.

Well I think most of the people here have tried but maybe they couldn't get their match to sound right?
In that case what's the harm in asking for a little help?
If people are lazy who cares, we're just having fun here and enjoying this great feature of the Axe FX.
I know I am here to have some fun and explore guitar tones that are also new to me.
I do however agree that if you've never tried to do a match, you should give it a go! it's fun and doesn't have to be hard at all!

Hey

Thanks mate ,yeah it was clipping. I was record that few days ago ,its was quick test. I was notice clipping after recording ,and i was have very busy day. Did not have extra time to record that test again ,but it sounds amazing. I was only record that test if there is some passive pickup users ,and they want to know how it sounds whit passive pickups.

Hey!
It sounds good man!
I think there is some clipping going on though.
Make sure no meters are hitting red!

These next ones are for RONJONES2020, nignog and anderson.
Quite diverse sounds I must say!

For the Bryan Adams tone I used my Fender strat with Hotrail in the bridge, so it's humbucker just not a very loud one.
I tried to use a single coil strat but it didn't sound right to me.
I also decided to use a marshall amp.

For the Mintjam tone I only had a very small part to tonematch for the rhyhtm patch but it sounds nice and tightly focused!
I used my Les Paul classic wich sounds a bit aggressive so you may have to adjust the gain/eg on the amp or tubescreamer.
I hope this works for you.
This patch can work as a starting place to tweak further to your desire.

For the Trivium tone I used my LTD SC607b baritone with EMG 707's as requested.
This one was quite easy and it sounds spot on to me!

Listen to them all here:

Like I said earlier I won't have a lot of time the coming days to do matches but let me know if you need help with a match and I'll see what I can do later this week.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Bryan Adams It's only love.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Mintjam rhythm.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Trivium Strife Rhythm.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 145
Wow, that Trivium sounds spot on. They actually used a Kemper in the studio on their latest cd.

Jon, your tone matches are outstanding. Great work and much appreciated!

I know you're probably overwhelmed with requests, but I've been trying to nail the sound from this Suhr Badger 35 video with no luck. It's the "On the Edge" tone about 40 seconds in. If you have a chance, I would love to see what you can do. Thanks!

SUHR BADGER 35

What about rhythm tone from Legion of the damned on the cult of the dead album? Its in C# tuning with EMG 81, a mahogany body and an ENGL.

Thanks

Last edited:
Woah woah woah stop the clock... I didnt request any Bryan Adams.
That must have been an imposter! ;)

I will try it out anyway kind sir just because of all your effort. Thanks. :)

I listened to your Adams recording and it sounded too Raw to me so I went and listened to the original again. Your distorted part is actually very close. I realized however they blended it with a clean guitar at the same time in order to get that crisp sound. No wonder that tone has always bothered me when I tried it live. Er I mean tried it live for the first time 5 minutes ago. ;)

Anyways great work as usual!

Not trolling, been on this forum 4 years longer than you, just asked a simple question... It takes a whole minute to load up an mp3 into an editor and send to the axe and match. Most people don't have good results using other peoples matches. I'm wondering if he has something special that nobody else can do thus all the requests, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Yes it sounds lazy to me, glad he's here to help you guys.

Of course I have tone matched and had some great and terrible results. However Jon's Metallica matches made us all realize it could be done so much better. He does a lot of work over and above the tone match that makes all the difference. Call me lazy but I think the guy just has a better ear than I do or more patience. Either way I will accept and appreciate the help and sure wont flame others for it.

What about rhythm tone from Legion of the damned on the cult of the dead album? Its in C# tuning with EMG 81, a mahogany body and an ENGL.

Thanks
More info would help :).
Give me an isolated guitar riff and I'll try...

I listened to your Adams recording and it sounded too Raw to me so I went and listened to the original again. Your distorted part is actually very close. I realized however they blended it with a clean guitar at the same time in order to get that crisp sound. No wonder that tone has always bothered me when I tried it live. Er I mean tried it live for the first time 5 minutes ago. ;)

Anyways great work as usual!

Ok I tweaked it a bit to blend in a clean tone, this way it may suit you better for live gigs.
Check it out!
I did the tweaks on a different guitar though, I now used my American Special Telecaster loaded with Texas Special pick-ups.

Attachments

• Bryan Adams It's only love twk.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 142
Didn't have much luck finding stems, but some personal requests of mine would include Tool, Dr. Feelgood-era Motley Crue, some newer Slash stuff, and One Day Remains-era Alter Bridge.

That's been the standard for James Hetfield for 20 years or so....
The Emg 81 is the most common bridge pick-up that Emg has.
The Emg 60 is by far the best active humbucker out there in my opinion.
I prefer the 60 over the 85, It has more character!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom