Guess What Amp I Just Bought

For many, this amp is the undisputed Heavyweight Champ, Holy Grail, Supreme Leader and Be All End All of tube guitar amplification. The implications of Cliff getting his hands on one is the stuff of legend.

Quick Dumble History from various reading I remember over the years (don't quote me exactly..):

Dumble was probably the first 'boutique' amp builder. He made a small number of amps (less than 300?) from the 60's to the 90's. You couldn't simply buy an amp from him. It took more than money. He had to deem you worthy, either already a famous musician or an amazing player. If you met his eccentric criteria he would agree to work with you and build you an amp. He would 'voice' each amp to the player, so no two were exactly the same. He built several distinct designs, of which the 100w ODS became the most highly revered (not the rarest). At some point (way before digital, and before amp mods and 'clone' builders became common), he realized that other builders were snooping inside his amps to learn his secrets and make schematics. So he started putting dark epoxy 'goop' over the preamp circuit to hide all the components. Of course, that didn't stop cloners.. some amps had the goop painstakingly removed. Schematics ARE out there, and there are several well known D-influenced amps in the market (Two Rock, Bludotone, Fuchs, etc).

The question is, how accurate can clones be when there were so few original amps, very few of which were ever examined\measured by builders? You can read discussions about this for years on other amp forums.

Sounds like everything that's been said about every amplifier ever. :lol

I guess good for you, Cliff. Whatever floats yer boat and sure, hopefully we'll see a true Dumble model in the Axe-IIs menu in the not-too-distant future.

I've never really bought into the hype of Dumble. I think there are many other more accessible amps out there that'll do the job equally as well, without buying into the bad karma voodoo of Dumble. If you really wanna see the internet explode, schedule a time that you'll webcast taking a sledgehammer to the amp...

That'll really get the dentists and corksniffers in a knot :)

I read an interview with Howard Dumble in Guitar Player back in the early 80's and he said that his amps were built so tough that you could drop one onto the sidewalk from a 2 story window, replace the tubes and speaker and it would still fire up.... LET'S TRY IT!!!! :)

So now that you guys have your 'holy grail' of amps, can we maybe spend a bit of time concentrating on giving us bassists something other than a grand selection of one amp to choose from?

Perfect succinct summary of 10,000 posts and "stories" about Dumble. Only thing I could add is a short list of some of the most famous players: Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, SRV, John Mayer, Sonny Landreth, and Carlos Santana.

John Mayer stands out on this list for a non-musical reason. The others all 'really' used their Dumbles, integral to their rigs and they built their careers with them. But Mayer first got famous with acoustic pop, made a ton of cash and went on a Dumble buying spree. This is years ago now, but the rumour was he was buying up every Dumble amp that came up on Ebay worldwide for a while. I'm not saying Mayer doesn't use his Dumbles, but I think what he was really doing is investing. All those random Dumbles are now 'John Mayer Dumbles' and thus worth a lot more money. Reminds me of Joe Bonamassa.. he seems to be on a tear aquiring vintage Gibsons last few years. They cost him a fortune, but then he records and tours with them, gets them on the cover of Guitar Player Magazine, etc. Smart. His profits are locked in and growing along with his career.

Wow. Can you deduct that purchase from your taxes? After all, it is a business expense.

Cliff has a legend of his own in the making. Maybe when he's done MIMIC-ing it to perfection he'll put it up for sale as 'The Cliff Chase Dumble, as modeled in the legendary Axe-Fx II' and make a huge profit from increased collector value.

It's a no lose situation for Cliff. The publicity alone will be worth many times what he paid for it. Every Dumble fan that turned their noses up on the AxeFx will want to check one out now.

In the mean time it's a tax write off as a business expense. Not to mention it is like owning a rare piece of fine art. Cliff can keep it as long as he wants and sell it anytime in the future for more than he paid for it.

Not a bad deal for us either!

Years ago the vintage tweed Bassman became my holy grail. I recruited some help to build a clone. After MANY man-hours (research, Ebay parts ordering, build time) it all came together and sounded great. I was all proud of myself that it only cost about $1000 whereas decent vintage originals were selling for 5 or 6 grand at the time.

Yeah, I was stupid then. I can see now that, had I dropped 5 grand on the vintage one it would be worth at least double now. Meanwhile I'd be lucky to get 500 bucks for my clone if I tried to sell it.

I think Cliff should celebrate his new purchase with a, "drop v.10 party" tonight!
whistling.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom