Guess What Amp I Just Bought

...but only a few of them didn't understand the power of the little attenuator trimmer between clean and the OD circuit - about balance between the amplification rate and the biasing of a preamp triode stage - tube characteristic curves, and barkhausen's tube equation etc....

Dumble, along with many forensic amp builders, have also commented on the way things were soldered and positioned within the amp - taking into account length of leads and the like. It's interesting to say the least, and something I'd be more interested in if the tone of the amp was something that appealed to me more. Sort of like telling me I've got VIP passes to check out Dwight Yoakam; I simply don't care.

For what it's worth, there's another one currently for sale on ePay:
Dumble Overdrive Special Full Rig 'Estate Items in Mint Condition' | eBay

So it goes.

Dumble, along with many forensic amp builders, have also commented on the way things were soldered and positioned within the amp - taking into account length of leads and the like. It's interesting to say the least, and something I'd be more interested in if the tone of the amp was something that appealed to me more. Sort of like telling me I've got VIP passes to check out Dwight Yoakam; I simply don't care.

I'm pretty much aware about parasite capacitive and resistance side effects, high frequency or other parasite oscillation etc. etc, inducted by wiring and position of components inside an amp to each other.....

As I said in another thread, i personally don't care about VIP, about pricing tags - I simply care about tone (also being able to get the difference between articulaction of a player and the characteristic counterpoints of an amp design). Don't put me into something, I never was before....

Thank you...

Looking forward to CLiff's impressions of the Dumble.

Same here. Really curious about Cliff's first impressions and how he compares it to other great amps in his impressive collection. Since Dumbles were tailored for specific players I wonder what kind of tone the original owner was after.

I'm thinking he got the Dumble, heard tonal nirvana, then decided to give up on Fractal. He sold it all to Line 6 and is taking his Dumble across the nation on a Cliff's boogie blues tour.

they all have been oftley quiet lately. Hmmmmmm.

I'm thinking he got the Dumble, heard tonal nirvana, then decided to give up on Fractal. He sold it all to Line 6 and is taking his Dumble across the nation on a Cliff's boogie blues tour.

My moneys on that they work around the clock, rebiulding that dumble so it will sound as good as the other amps in the AF2.
;)

The Dumble that's currently on the Axe sounds really good to me for softer, lower gain (but not clean) emotional stuff. It's not suited for power, imho, but it'll do it. I use a boosted Dual Rectofier for high-gain. My 2 favourite dirty amps.

The Dumble that's currently on the Axe sounds really good to me for softer, lower gain (but not clean) emotional stuff. It's not suited for power, imho, but it'll do it. I use a boosted Dual Rectofier for high-gain. My 2 favourite dirty amps.

yes the Dumble Lead amp model that's in there now is based on the "Ojai" Dumble Overdrive Special Robben Ford plays style-wise.

Have you tried it with Saturation and Boost on, even kick up the Input Trim to simulate a higher setting on the interstage trim pot. You'll probably want to lower the Drive setting but the current ODS-100 model can really rock - grab a slide and you're into David Lindley territory. For cabs try the '4x12 SLM H65' with the '4x12 SLM H75', or for crunchier highs the '4x12 SLM H75' with the '4x12 Basketweave G12H30' . Try the U87 mic on one cab and the R-121 on the other.

Use the tone controls to dial in the OD (turn them all to 10 if you want to fake a PAB switch) then use the Amp block graphic eq to contour the overall sound (and pretend you're dialing in the post-distortion tone trimpots!). Also try increasing Definition in advanced tab of the amp block as you increase gain.

Last edited:
Use the tone controls to dial in the OD (turn them all to 10 if you want to fake a PAB switch) then use the Amp block graphic eq to contour the overall sound (and pretend you're dialing in the post-distortion tone trimpots!). Also try increasing Definition in advanced tab of the amp block as you increase gain.

I think the PAB bypasses Bass and Treble pots, but not the Mid pot.

Back
Top Bottom