Guess What Amp I Just Bought

I saw the thread title and I felt a little Dumble twitch but I thought , naw. Opened it and couldn't believe it!
And this is after I spent the weekend learning Dont Take Me Alive by Steeley Dan.

Guess I'll have to spend some more time getting those Larry Carlton parts down cold!

... I wonder if it sounds any good :mrgreen I think it does, and I'm pretty blown away about it. If there is a MIMIC version of this in my axe-fx one day.. Well that's gotta be the guitarists heaven.

would be interesting if and what Cliff learns about the actual "Dumble magic" once he's running it through his tools. maybe he finds a raw layout for a time travel machine...fairy dust...the holy grail... who knows :). not sure though if Dumble's gonna be real happy about this :)

Shocked and Stoked. I thought John Mayer owned all the Dumbles by now ('cept for Robben's and Larry's of course).

:lolPretty cool! Must be a fun day at the Fractal office! Somewhere out there, TAG is taking note. What can I say, the man knows tone.:lol

Last edited:
Woooooow? :-o

Seems Cliff felt like "starting over"... :mrgreen

(Michael Landau has one too)

Last edited:
For the non-Dumble aficionados, what's so special about this particular amp?

For many, this amp is the undisputed Heavyweight Champ, Holy Grail, Supreme Leader and Be All End All of tube guitar amplification. The implications of Cliff getting his hands on one is the stuff of legend.

Quick Dumble History from various reading I remember over the years (don't quote me exactly..):

Dumble was probably the first 'boutique' amp builder. He made a small number of amps (less than 300?) from the 60's to the 90's. You couldn't simply buy an amp from him. It took more than money. He had to deem you worthy, either already a famous musician or an amazing player. If you met his eccentric criteria he would agree to work with you and build you an amp. He would 'voice' each amp to the player, so no two were exactly the same. He built several distinct designs, of which the 100w ODS became the most highly revered (not the rarest). At some point (way before digital, and before amp mods and 'clone' builders became common), he realized that other builders were snooping inside his amps to learn his secrets and make schematics. So he started putting dark epoxy 'goop' over the preamp circuit to hide all the components. Of course, that didn't stop cloners.. some amps had the goop painstakingly removed. Schematics ARE out there, and there are several well known D-influenced amps in the market (Two Rock, Bludotone, Fuchs, etc).

The question is, how accurate can clones be when there were so few original amps, very few of which were ever examined\measured by builders? You can read discussions about this for years on other amp forums.

For many, this amp is the undisputed Heavyweight Champ, Holy Grail, Supreme Leader and Be All End All of tube guitar amplification. The implications of Cliff getting his hands on one is the stuff of legend.

Quick Dumble History from various reading I remember over the years (don't quote me exactly..):

Dumble was probably the first 'boutique' amp builder. He made a small number of amps (less than 300?) from the 60's to the 90's. You couldn't simply buy an amp from him. It took more than money. He had to deem you worthy, either already a famous musician or an amazing player. If you met his eccentric criteria he would agree to work with you and build you an amp. He would 'voice' each amp to the player, so no two were exactly the same. He built several distinct designs, of which the 100w ODS became the most highly revered (not the rarest). At some point (way before digital, and before amp mods and 'clone' builders became common), he realized that other builders were snooping inside his amps to learn his secrets and make schematics. So he started putting dark epoxy 'goop' over the preamp circuit to hide all the components. Of course, that didn't stop cloners.. some amps had the goop painstakingly removed. Schematics ARE out there, and there are several well known D-influenced amps in the market (Two Rock, Bludotone, Fuchs, etc).

The question is, how accurate can clones be when there were so few original amps, very few of which were ever examined\measured by builders? You can read discussions about this for years on other amp forums.

Perfect succinct summary of 10,000 posts and "stories" about Dumble. Only thing I could add is a short list of some of the most famous players: Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, SRV, John Mayer, Sonny Landreth, and Carlos Santana.

OMG. The holy grail. The Carol Ann is quite the sleeper in the Axe. I can't imagine what your model of the Dumble will be like. Wooooo hooooooooooo.

Can't wait to see the algorithm for modelling the 'crystal lattice'...

CrystalLettuce.jpg

I saw Eric Sardinas using a Dumble. He was opening for Steve Vai.

Tone was smokin'. But it was a little unconventional because he plays acoustic guitar slide and acoustic dobro through the Dumble.

Was trying to think, but that may be the only live show I've ever seen one.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom