Given up on ethernet cable link

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I've given up on using the ethernet cable to run my MFC in favour of the MIDI cable method. It's a shame because I like the idea of not having to plug in a separate adapter to provide power to the MFC, but the ethernet cable takes 10-12 minutes before it starts transmitting data. Yesterday at rehearsal my band was ready to start playing and I found myself standing around like an idiot waiting for my MFC and Axe to start talking to each other. After already returning one faulty Axe-II unit, I thought this issue was solved but it looks like unreliable tech right now. :/

I'd be looking at both cable and input sockets on the Axe and MFC. You've had the Axe replaced, the cable is easily replaced, so that leaves the cat5 socket on the MFC (or something else in the MFC) maybe as needing checked out?

I changed the cable once with the old unit but it made no difference. So I swapped the unit for this one, and this one behaved better with the cable but still doesn't respond immediately. Needs about 15 minutes to "warm up" before it starts transmitting data. Maybe the MFC is faulty...

Mine starts working immediately mate - I've used 3 different cables and all have worked flawlessly so definitely looks like a problem in the chain somewhere.

I haven't experienced this either--mine works immediately with different cables. I've tried at least 4 different cables, different ratings, different lengths, and they all work without issue.

I would contact support.

@String... my first question would be.. How long is your CAT5 cable? Is it CAT5 or CAT5e or CAT6 ?
I'm in the same boat as the other posters.. I have a 15' cable and I'm more concerned about the longevity of the CAT5 socket-style interfaces (been thru all of that with old L6 gear) than the transmission speed I'm getting. Tuner, Tap Tempo et al. all work fine. No switching delays..

PS: I'm considering going back to the 7-pin MIDI phantom power route. Connections are a little more solid.

I've had issues with the CAT5 as well, but only with some cables. It seems the connector on the Axe-Fx and/or MFC don't seem to hold onto the connector very well.

I even bought a really nice Best-Tronics cable that doesn't work any more.

I've had issues with the CAT5 as well, but only with some cables. It seems the connector on the Axe-Fx and/or MFC don't seem to hold onto the connector very well.

I even bought a really nice Best-Tronics cable that doesn't work any more.
I don't know whether it's CAT5 or CAT6. It's G66's own cable. I tried two and got the same result with both. With my previous Axe unit I got no data transmission at all, although I did get power. On the new unit I get data transmission but only after having it powered up for 15 minutes.

@string ... There's no way your current set up is working like it should. I suspect the RJ45 connector in the MFC is either shorting or otherwise screwed up. Or the MFC itself is at least partially toast.
You should break it open and inspect. It's not that hard to take apart and you should be able to see right away if something is awry. You can also use a DMM to see if there's any shorts.

The RJ45 connector is, unfortunately, not made to withstand continuous plugin-plugout, which is why I modded my MFC to add an Ethercon connector. But regardless, you should not have to wait for a "warm-up" period. There is no warm up period. It's either on or off. So if it takes time to kick in, then there's something awfully wrong and you should contact support about your MFC.

@string ... There's no way your current set up is working like it should. I suspect the RJ45 connector in the MFC is either shorting or otherwise screwed up. Or the MFC itself is at least partially toast.
You should break it open and inspect. It's not that hard to take apart and you should be able to see right away if something is awry. You can also use a DMM to see if there's any shorts.

The RJ45 connector is, unfortunately, not made to withstand continuous plugin-plugout, which is why I modded my MFC to add an Ethercon connector. But regardless, you should not have to wait for a "warm-up" period. There is no warm up period. It's either on or off. So if it takes time to kick in, then there's something awfully wrong and you should contact support about your MFC.
Thanks. I've already tried getting it resolved with G66 but they clearly don't have the expertise to get to the bottom of it, and in any case I've now had the MFC over 12 months so it may be past its warranty period. If I contact Fractal am I likely to get a response? They don't seem to have a reputation for dealing promptly with support requests.

Last edited:
What about hunting down another Axe2 owner somewhere near to you and plugging your MFC into their box and see what happens?

Thanks. I've already tried getting it resolved with G66 but they clearly don't have the expertise to get to the bottom of it, and in any case I've now had the MFC over 12 months so it may be past its warranty period. If I contact Fractal am I likely to get a response? They don't seem to have a reputation for dealing promptly with support requests.

I've had nothing but excellent service from FAS through their regular service line. It takes a day or two to get a response by email but in my experience, the service was swift and flawless. G66 should take care of you though. If the MFC was defective since the get go, then their failure to resolve it should not be your penalty for not getting it handled within the first 12 months. Hell, even Apple replaced a defective iPod for free in the 15th month because the issue was first reported while still under warranty. I'm pretty sure FAS is better than Apple when it comes to after-sale service.

My j45 cables have had no issues, and that was using 10 meter cables that cost a couple of £ from eBay. I have since swooped for ethercon cables for the more solid connections, running j45 fly leads from mfc and afx to converters.

I've not had a single issue. Something is wrong, and given the things you have tried already, my money is on a faulty mfc. Either the j45 socket itself or something internal.

Oh, I'd be afterva replacement mfc however long ago you got it. The j45 implimentation cant be used until an wfx2 is hooked up, so there would have Bern no way of knowing if the unit was faulty in that respect until now.

I have a 15' cable and I'm more concerned about the longevity of the CAT5 socket-style interfaces (been thru all of that with old L6 gear)

What about building something like this into your pedalboard.
Connect the box to the MFC permanently and plug the cable from the Axe into the box each time.
Carry a spare box with you in case it fails.

cat6_1_gang_skt_large.jpg

Back
Top Bottom