Get Yer 11.0 Beta Here!

Neither am I. I just compared the models to several real amps and the pinch harmonic response seemed identical to me.

it's not that i'm not getting pinch harmonics, it's just that they sound and feel different from my real world amp. i think my cabinet is part of that equation though; the high end roll off makes the squeals sound more violin like.

i reset me axe-fx and reloaded the banks and it sounds much better now.

Kicked the family out of the house today and spent several hours going through the various amp type at gig volume levels. What can I say? Everything just sounds and feels more alive and immediate to the touch. It'll take weeks or months to go through all the amp types and get familiar with 'em. It really does remind me of the days when I was at Tone Merchants and spending hours going through all the different amps. Sometimes, I'd just bond with a certain setting of one amp and play it without any regard to the time passing by. I find myself doing the same with a certain preset or an amp type.

One of the presets that I thought really came alive is that of the SLO100. It was really one of my favorite amps at Tone Merchants. The only thing was that it needed to be turned up to painfully loud volume levels (the master at minimum 3 or, ideally, at 4) to get the amp to really breathe and sing. With FW10, I thought, "Yeah, it's in the ballpark but..." When I cranked the preset up today to a fairly loud but reasonable volume level, I couldn't help but grin and reminisce about what I liked so much about the SLO100 - cutting yet beefy with plenty of low-end thump and full warm mids.

All of the old Marshall types seem to have benefitted the most with FW11B but all the Fender types sound markedly improved as well. I did notice a big difference with the ODS-100. It's much closer to what I've heard of it in person although I never had an opportunity to plug into one myself. But I've played plenty of Two-Rock and Fuchs amps when I was at TM so I do have a good idea of what the ODS is supposed to be like. Personally, I'm much more into the Brit EL34 kind of sound than anything else so I found myself spending much more time on those presets and amp types than anything else.

I have a great deal of interest in ultra high-gain amps as well although I can only play through 'em for a limited amount of time before wanting to move onto something else. Well, my metal riffs repertoire is rather limited! I do think the enhanced bass response can be a little too much at times and I found myself cutting the bass with some of 'em. But then, I remember some of those amps really did sound and feel like that - having an obscene amount of bottom. I am a big Meshuggah and Fredrik Thordendal fan (and also Tosin Abasi) and I do plan to dial in those types of sounds when I get a Strandberg 8-string in the not-too-distant future. For now, I'm focusing more on the "classic" sounds.

My head is spinning at the thought of going through all of the amp types and then programming my own presets with the effects all dialed in. Seriously, it may take a year or longer for me to program twenty of my own after learning all the in's and out's of what the Axe-Fx II is capable of. For now, I'm just a wide-eyed player who has walked into a 10,000 square foot boutique shop with hundreds of different boutique and vintage amps, cabinets, pedals, and processors all strewn about on the display floor. And I intend to try every one of 'em... ;) This is just too much fun.

welcome to the family.....
the new fw drops tend not to follow any specific time interval, they just happen when they happen..
sometimes some are close together and other times not...
the most baffling part is that when you're thinking that there can be nothing better than this...
the next fw drop shows up and it gets better...
it's as unbelievable as it is awesome
or maybe just unbelievably awesome..
lucky ain't we...
you are so gonna love the lil' black box...
and even cooler... there's a lot of very smart guys in here that are very generous with their knowhow and experience...
so it just gets better and better...

Well, I've been a troll here since the forum started but only just registered last year. There are tons of great folks here. I still love my VG-99 and have just spent a whole day building different COSM guitar patches to front my Axe with. So far I'm very happy but I have gear guilt now. I used to only have guitar guilt with 5 or 6 guitars hanging around that only get played once in a while. This is why I'm trying to encorporate my VG-99 and GR-55 for the COSM models, tunings, and synths. Otherwise the gear will just collect dust. This will be a fun ride!

it's not that i'm not getting pinch harmonics, it's just that they sound and feel different from my real world amp. i think my cabinet is part of that equation though; the high end roll off makes the squeals sound more violin like.

What you monitor the ax through will have an impact on this too !

You're not loading this stuff with AxeEdit are you?
Fractalbot should be used as Axe Edit is iffy...
I think when 10 came out some people had this problem where they had to reset to get things to sound right.

Even with my cruddy 5153 Red patch with way too much gain, chorus and delay, the improvement in quality in 11b is astonishing. The note attack is just "right" now.

Last night I did this thing where I slowly picked a rhythm chord (think the beginning of the Scorpions "Tease Me, Please Me") and there was just so much saturation and amp goodness. That "bloom" that folks talk about in tube amps seemed to be there.

Just like an analog versus digital audio recording, I think firmware updates a year ago sounded too polished and were too perfect. The thing about a tube amp is that is should bloom, swell, and have this unexpected quality about the tone. Older firmware updates sounded outstanding but not necessarily close to tube amp behavior. Really happy with the tones!

Hello, I'm new to this forum but have the AXE FX II now about 2 years and startet with FW 6 and I loved it and sold my SLO 100 2 old Marshall cabs (to heavy) and now with the AXE, Matrix 1000, Matrix Q12a, 2x12 Marshall with Heritage speakers made in in England and a 2x12 Orange Box and my MFC 101 I'm in heaven. I just played last weekend in Luxembourg at the Blues'n'Jazz Rallye and the Sound Guy kept coming up to me and pointing and saying at me "Steve Vai, Steve Vai" which I`m not really, but there loved myx Sound and I was vey, very happy........Thanxs alot to Cliff and the FAS-Team and I'm proud to belong to this comunity....:encouragement:

11 sounds incredible for direct recording into DAW. Huge difference from 10 where it was hours and days of hunt for how and where to kill the flub, bass, and mic pressed up to the speaker sound when recording direct. Especially w/ semi hollow body guitars.

Pleaseeeee do not change too much. You've nailed it already. Gentle recommendation to move on to IR's and axe edit...

Ok, so on a whim I decided to dust off the GT1000fx and plug into a real cab. With this setup the difference between FW10 and 11 is MASSIVE. I've always hated the axe through real cabs, never sounded right. Now it sounds very VERY right.

Try it with a "real" tube amp, it will change your life. The GT1000fx was way too flat compared to my Mesa 2:90. Plus the volume levels have so much more headroom, not even close by a mile.

Of course this is using guitar cabinets, not full range speakers. If you are going to full range "go all the way", GT1000fx sounds so much better with full range speakers, but that's just my IMHO.

Try it with a "real" tube amp, it will change your life. The GT1000fx was way too flat compared to my Mesa 2:90. Plus the volume levels have so much more headroom, not even close by a mile.

Of course this is using guitar cabinets, not full range speakers. If you are going to full range "go all the way", GT1000fx sounds so much better with full range speakers, but that's just my IMHO.

Just curious here... when using your Mesa 2:90, were you turning off the Power Amp sims in the Axe?

My Ultra sounded worse through my Mesa Simul-Satellite compared to pretty much any ss power amp I tried with it.
Ditto for my AxeII.

The Simul-Satellite is essentially the Simul-Class power section of a MKIV (missing a few features of the MKIV, like the triode/pentode switch) paired up with a speaker in a cabinet.
It's also very similar to the 2:90 but without the Deep switch and it's got a different way of achieving low power (via its Class A/Simul-Class switch which is not foot-switchable).
It also has Tweed Power (like a built-in variac) that the 2:90 doesn't have.
So it's on a par with the 2:90.
I used it with my Triaxis for 15 years.

The AxeFX products sound particularly good with my Bryston 2B LP Pro.
And yes I'm talking about using guitar cabs here, not FRFR.

The Mesa power amps are particularly coloured which is fine if you're trying to colour the sounds that the Axe produces for some reason.
But if you want to hear the sounds that the Axe is really producing w/o coloration, not so good.

Of course if you like that sound then you like that sound.
It's just not the sound of the Axe itself that you're liking.

My exact findings here too, not even close.

I think things like sustained chords in v11.00beta sound very close to identical to v10.12, but there's something different about the way the firmwares handles staccato note runs, specifically around the edges of notes. In this area, v10.xx sounds... much drier, whereas with staccato runs and palm mutes, v11beta sounds juicier, like there's more saturation and compression happening around the outside edges of the notes without affecting the overall dynamics of the amp.

Maybe that's not exactly what's going on but it definitely feels that way to me.

And by the way, with the new 5-band Mark series eq option, my pre-Black Album Metallica patches have never sounded and felt better. They're razor sharp and tight as they can be, yet they've never sounded bigger.

Definitely looking forward to the real v11.00 and beyond!

Back
Top Bottom