Get instant answers WITHOUT reading the Axe-Fx manual

(guess I should have used another analagy: ie: Hetfield asks newbie tech to reconfig Axfx modifier 5 minutes before show - (If I'm Hetfield, I'm hopin newbie tech read the actual manual or remembers CC training, not going by Q+A thru a hit and miss AI))
If Hetfield asked that 5 minutes before showtime and expects a newbie tech to get it right, then he deserves whatever he gets.

There are some downsides to the Q&A format for this because it doesn't show you where the information came from to read the context above and below
There's at least one AI PDF app that references the page(s) it cites, so it seems possible the others may have the capability, as well.1684266781948.png

, and it could act like some other language models and confidently give a wrong answer when no match is found (that I haven't tested).
From what I understand, these apps base their output exclusively on information from the source document. I haven't really noticed any of them hallucinating information, yet anyway.

Last edited:
If Hetfield asked that 5 minutes before showtime and expects a newbie tech to get it right, then he deserves whatever he gets.
I did sound for a few years at a local venue here - performers would rent the space, show up an hour in advance, and insist an all sorts of elaborate setup. Your only chance to come close to doing it was if you RTFM so that you truely understood how the shit works. Many, many times: problem occurs in the middle of a show - the show director is in my ear to get to the stage n try n figure out what's going on with so n so's mic / di / ... whatever. Those that spend time RTFM were the ones who could solve those things more often than not. (am I really here justifying RTFM? lol! - new AI shit is great, but, still, RTFM if ya wanna learn how te do stuff eh).

Last edited:
Hetfield asks newbie tech to reconfig Axfx modifier 5 minutes before show
1. Table of Contents: Modifiers. Chapter 10 (30 seconds including manual download)
2. Read first page (48 seconds)
3. Read modifier tutorial. (22 seconds)
4. Try it on the hardware. (60 seconds.)
5. I get this! (0 seconds.) Twiddle. Tweak. (+10 seconds because I needed to put my glasses on) (20 seconds)
6. Store+Enter+Enter (40 seconds because I had to look up SAVING PRESETS)

= less than 5 minutes. Hey cool! I use the extra time to just hang with Hetfield until showtime.

52C5676D-28E1-457B-B12E-E8BFEBBE36FC_1_105_c.jpeg

1. Table of Contents: Modifiers. Chapter 10 (30 seconds including manual download)
5. I get this! (0 seconds.) Twiddle. Tweak. (+10 seconds because I needed to put my glasses on) (20 seconds)

= less than 5 minutes. Hey cool! I use the extra time to just hang with Hetfield until showtime.

View attachment 121054
Dear M@:

I hate you.

Your Friend Always,

Rodney

I have reasonably high confidence ChatGPT has scraped the wiki at least once in the past 4 months. It doesn't seem to help. I haven't tried v4 though -- not willing to pay. If someone is paying for v4 access maybe ask it the same question I asked and see if it knows about phase on the L/R channels?
By talking about it here, you're directing it to the answer more quickly. I think we humans need to start hoarding our common sense :).

View attachment 121054
that's awsome! seems (I dunno, from the documentaries), he's a pretty down to earth all round nice guy

I did sound for a few years at a local venue here - performers would rent the space, show up an hour in advance, and insist an all sorts of elaborate setup. Your only chance to come close to doing it was if you RTFM so that you truely understood how the shit works. Many, many times: problem occurs in the middle of a show - the show director is in my ear to get to the stage n try n figure out what's going on with so n so's mic / di / ... whatever. Those that spend time RTFM were the ones who could solve those things more often than not. (am I really here justifying RTFM? lol! - new AI shit is great, but, still, RTFM if ya wanna learn how te do stuff eh).

Again, that's a very different use case than bedroom guitarist finishing up a quick demo to show their bandmates tomorrow, trying to fix a quick thing before inspiration fades or they're up too late. One is a paid role with high stakes and expectations of expertise, and the other is someone more worried about writing and playing music and just trying to get over a momentary speedbump.

And no reason they can't go to the manual if the first search didn't being up anything.

I don't need true understanding to use my Axe FX.
ya, ye kinda do - if you're going to use any given feature (of any technology really), precision of understanding is key - without "RTFM" you set yourself up for all kinds of tangents, false starts, errors ...

I want to practice writing music, not reading Axe FX manuals.
RTFM gives more practice / writing time since your not trying to solve issues caused by not understanding how your tool works.

Again, that's a very different use case than bedroom guitarist finishing up a quick demo to show their bandmates tomorrow, trying to fix a quick thing before inspiration fades or they're up too late. One is a paid role with high stakes and expectations of expertise, and the other is someone more worried about writing and playing music and just trying to get over a momentary speedbump.
RTFM - more important for the bedroom guitarist who does not have a tech to figure stuff out. Makes them more efficient.

"RTFM" is an investment that saves loads of time down the road for anybody that uses the tool directly - (and it's not even a long or complicated read in the case of Axefx (+ they put little jokes in there to keep yur attention ... which is noice))

Last edited:
ya, ye kinda do - if you're going to use any given feature (of any technology really), precision of understanding is key - without "RTFM" you set yourself up for all kinds of tangents, false starts, errors ...

RTFM gives more practice / writing time since your not trying to solve issues caused by not understanding how your tool works.

RTFM - more important for the bedroom guitarist who does not have a tech to figure stuff out. Makes them more efficient.

"RTFM" is an investment that saves loads of time down the road for anybody that uses the tool directly - (and it's not even a complicated read in the case of Axefx (+ they put little jokes in there to keep yur attention ... which is noice))

I don't completely disagree with you. And I have read the manual, and there's value to understanding the tool. I've also watched a variety of videos with information, did some experimentation myself, and have certainly forgotten many aspects of the manual too since I don't need it day in day out.

I also know that it's highly impractical to assume everybody who buys one will memorize every part of the manual. I don't use MIDI in any of my guitar setups so I definitely haven't memorized those parts. I may not even have read them to begin with. Instead of "Read the Fickchuckalucking manual" "reference the fickstastic manual" might be more reasonable for most people, until they come across something not in the manual.

I also know it's a pretty big PITA to be dealing with a PDF on a phone screen hunched over an FM3 on the floor at band practice where a referencial search might help you find the info you seek faster.

Two things can be true :)

I don't completely disagree with you. And I have read the manual, and there's value to understanding the tool. I've also watched a variety of videos with information, did some experimentation myself, and have certainly forgotten many aspects of the manual too since I don't need it day in day out.

I also know that it's highly impractical to assume everybody who buys one will memorize every part of the manual. I don't use MIDI in any of my guitar setups so I definitely haven't memorized those parts. I may not even have read them to begin with. Instead of "Read the Fickchuckalucking manual" "reference the fickstastic manual" might be more reasonable for most people, until they come across something not in the manual.

I also know it's a pretty big PITA to be dealing with a PDF on a phone screen hunched over an FM3 on the floor at band practice where a referencial search might help you find the info you seek faster.

Two things can be true :)
not sure where this idea comes from that people think they have to memorize manuals - they don't and they can't (well, I sure don't / can't). It's a reference - you refer to specific section(s) as needed. I'm getting old and don't always remember what I did 1/2 an hour ago - which is ok - just book mark it in the manual and go back to it as many times as you need it. As for phone screens - well - no matter what you do whether its reading a pdf directly or reading what AI is telling you about the PDF, it's gonna be a PITA cuz it's too small (I know - I'm scheduled for cataract surgery lol!). Reminds me also, that, I'd bet those that spend a little quality time with the manual are less likely to be at a gig nervously sweating over their Axfx wondering why they have no sound from output1.

Last edited:
The manual is ~110 pages, searching it is a breeze. I get the desire for a quick and easy interface, but not for this use case. If it was one of those 2000 page IRS tax code .pdfs, and if this site could parse a document that size, I might be all in. At least for a tax question for someone else ;)

not sure where this idea comes from that people think they have to memorize manuals - they don't and they can't (well, I sure don't / can't). It's a reference - you refer to specific section(s) as needed. I'm getting old and don't always remember what I did 1/2 an hour ago - which is ok - just book mark it in the manual and go back to it as many times as you need it. As for phone screens - well - no matter what you do whether its reading a pdf directly or reading what AI is telling you about the PDF, it's gonna be a PITA cuz it's too small (I know - I'm scheduled for cataract surgery lol!). Reminds me also, that, I'd bet those that spend a little quality time with the manual are less likely to be at a gig nervously sweating over their FM3 wondering why they have no sound from output1.
Well, if you're only referencing it then you might very well be the one trying to find it on your phone at a practice because you're using it as a reference. If you're trying to do it at a gig you've already messed up by taking a working setting and changing on the fly at showtime.

That said, a chat will dynamically resize to a readable size on a phone. A PDF is locked in a specific layout that can only be zoomed in and out on. They are designed to be most useful as a printed full size sheet of paper and other mediums will work better with other formats.

Another example of why the natural language processing could be good, every single platform has it's own cute name for of it's features. "Is this one Scenes or snapshots?". Not everyone sticks to one platform and can keep all the terms straight with complete accuracy to search.

Tools are tools, and if they work for someone they work. You aren't going to convince me that a new tool existing is a bad thing, whether or not it's any good. IF it's bad people won't use it. Ultimately this is supposed to be a fun and creative endeavor, and different people will do things differently.

This represents the real short coming of this type of AI. You are not getting your logically unique interpretation of the manual.

Last edited:
not sure where this idea comes from that people think they have to memorize manuals - they don't and they can't (well, I sure don't / can't). It's a reference - you refer to specific section(s) as needed.
Or... if you've already read said section(s), just ask the AI. Even if a user hasn't read the manual, asking the AI for help still benefits the learning process because they're learning by doing. Further, the AI can also relay contextual information. But it's not as if users who use AI forfeit their right to read the manual.

As for phone screens - well - no matter what you do whether its reading a pdf directly or reading what AI is telling you about the PDF, it's gonna be a PITA (I know - I'm scheduled for cataract surgery lol!).
Skimming and searching generally takes longer, which translates to more time spent looking at the screen.

Reminds me also, that, I'd bet those that spend a little quality time with the manual are less likely to be nervously sweating over their FM3 wondering why they have no sound from output1.
Maybe, but the same people who'd ask an AI for help without reading the manual are likely the same type of people who'd ask for help on a forum without reading it. The difference is, users who ask an AI can potentially get help immediately.

Back
Top Bottom