FX8 with JVM 205H MIDI Help

lighthorse07

Newbie alert... looking for some quick direction (yes, read manual) on setting up my Fx8 to change channels on my JVM 205h. Have midi cable on order - I don't understand the "assigning midi numbers" stuff in Fx8 manual or in Fx8 edit.

Anyone out there doing this with a JVM yet that can help simplify this for me? Thnx!

First, you'll need to read the JVM 205H manual to figure out what MIDI commands you need to send to make it work. My understanding is that you create and save presets on the JVM, and then send MIDI Program Change (PC) messages from the FX8.

Rex is correct.

First on the amp you select the channel, master, Reverb on or off, effect loop on or off, then go into the fx8 software and select a scene, then select footswitches. assign a scene to a footswitch. Then you will see preset/global/function/ Midi 1/Midi 2 / relay 1/ relay 2 in a list. Make sure your correct footswitch is highlighted and select Midi 1. This brings up 2 rows. 1 PC and the CC. You want to use PC. Start with the PC on channel 1 then press the program footswitch button on your amp twice, the red light should stay on, then hit the actual footswitch on the fx8 that you want for that channel. The amp program light will blink and go out. Now your amp state is saved to PC1. You will have to do this for every different amp state you want to save. Just change PC1 to PC2 and so on. Judging by having the FX8 you are not going to use the amps reverb but will have the effect loop on in every preset. The master vol design in the JVM is horrible. It’s only good use is balancing the volumes between voicings so you will most likely only be using 6 PC commands. 1 for each channel voicing.

I usually do clean PC1, crunch orange PC2, crunch red PC3 and so on and so fourth so now when you create a new patch or scene you don’t have to program again you just select PC 1 through 6 in your Midi 1 PC screen and it will change the amp to that save amp state.

Please forgive me if I am wrong in any of that info. I haven’t had the JVM in over a year and just got the FX8 so I’m explaining this from memory.

Sean thanks, that's the most help anyone has given me, and that stuff isn't in the manual. I've gotten it to change a few channels so it is communicating but not the right ones.

When you say PC1 or PC2 which values are those in the Fx8 editor? There are PC On Value, PC Off Value and PC On Channel? I have no idea what should be in any of those values... thnx again

I am sorry, now that it’s not 3 in the morning and I have the FX8 hooked up I see I was wrong. You should use Config tab then Midi PC. However, I do believe that in footswitches tab, you can use 1 button to switch back and forth between two amp channels by using PC on PC off. Do below first before messing with this. You need to save your amp states and a PC location.

And what I mean by PC 0 and so on is PC “Program Change” is what the JVM uses to change its state and 0 is the location of that save program change. The JVM can save from 0 to 127 which is way more then you will ever use.

Now in FX8-Edit, click on config and then Midi PC. That screen will show all 8 scenes with PC and CH. You can select any number from 0 to 127 in each scenes. I am using a Revv Generator 120 so I don’t have the JVM anymore but I am pretty sure it will use the PC and not the CH.

What I would do is plan your amp state out that you want for each voicing. For example,

Clean green, Reverb off, master 1, loop on = 0
Crunch amber, Reverb off, master1, loop on = 1
Crunch red, reverb, master#, loop on = 2
OD green, yada yada yada = 3
OD amber blah blah blah = 4
OD red hold you fucking ears = 5

Now create let’s say Preset A1 name it JVM channels. Activate 6 buttons as scenes and go into config and select Midi PC. In scene 1 PC select 0. Set you amp to clean plus what ever you want on and then hit the program button on the JVM twice so the red light stays on, then press the scene 1 footswitch on the fx8. Now your clean is saved to PC1. Do the same for all the remaining scenes. scene 2 PC select 1 and save crunch amber and so on. Once you save all amp states to 0-5 you will not have to re program your amp again. Now all you have to do when you create a new preset is to select 0-5 meaning which amp channel you want on the scene button. Let’s say you create A2 and name it Van Halen and you only need an over drive channel just select Scene 1 as footswitch 1 and select Scene 1PC = 4

That should do it!! Let me know how you make out.

Thanks, that's def some good direction. I tried today and I still think I am missing a step. When I get the JVM channels where I want, then the midi button on JVM flashing, my next step is where there is something missing.

Do I need to hit 'edit' on the Fx8? Because when I add the midi command in fx-edit, I add the PC commands, but when I select the pedal or scene position on the Fx8, it switches scenes (activates the scene) rather than sending the midi command. I assume that's because it's not in a learn or edit mode on the Fx8? Maybe it's doing that because the one I am trying to build a channel change into is already a preset and I need to create a brand new one?

I also just re-read your post and and not sure what you mean by "Activate 6 buttons as Scenes". I can do Scene 1 and 2 but not sure how to do more than 2 scenes?? Do those need to all be midi blocks in the pedal positions?

At this point, I'd pay someone for a video tutorial.. not kidding.

Sorry I need such hand holding. I swear I do have a college degree lol

Last edited:
The program light on the JVM I beleive has to stay lit. Not blinking. Tap the program button TWICE for the light to stay on. The JVM by default listens on Midi channel 1 so make sure the FX8 is sending commands on channel 1.

In FX8- Edit. Select the footswitch tab the on button 1 right click for the menu and scroll to scene then select scene 1. Now button 1 is activated as scene 1. Now do the same for each remaining buttons.

Do a search on YouTube for Mark Day’s video on how to create a preset. It is very informative. I think it will help you.

The JVM is configured to listen to MIDI channel #1 by default. Follow these instructions:

1. Make sure you have a MIDI cable going from the FX8 MIDI out to the JVM MIDI in.
  2. Dial the desired sound on your amp, including channel, mode, reverb on/off, etc.
  3. Hit the FOOTSWITCH/MIDI PROGRAM button on the JVM’s front panel. It will start blinking.
  4. Send a MIDI PC (program change) message from the FX8. Your amplifier will learn that particular program change number and will associate it with that particular setting from now on. You can send a message that by simply changing the MIDI PC number on the MIDI tab of the FX8 Edit Config page in the current scene. When your JVM’s red blinking light starts blinking faster for a few moments before going off you will know you have successfully programmed your amplifier.

The JVM is configured to listen to MIDI channel #1 by default. Follow these instructions:

1. Make sure you have a MIDI cable going from the FX8 MIDI out to the JVM MIDI in.
  2. Dial the desired sound on your amp, including channel, mode, reverb on/off, etc.
  3. Hit the FOOTSWITCH/MIDI PROGRAM button on the JVM’s front panel. It will start blinking.
  4. Send a MIDI PC (program change) message from the FX8. Your amplifier will learn that particular program change number and will associate it with that particular setting from now on. You can send a message that by simply changing the MIDI PC number on the MIDI tab of the FX8 Edit Config page in the current scene. When your JVM’s red blinking light starts blinking faster for a few moments before going off you will know you have successfully programmed your amplifier.
I have all of that done. But when I change from scene to scene it doesn't automatically change the channels. What am I missing?

Have you assigned the program/channel change for each scene on the FX8 Edit Config page?
In the Footswitch Page I have the different PC #'s in each Scene. But I have to press the Footswitch to activate the Midi. I need it to be activated when I select the scene. You say the Config page? I'm using AX Edit program.

In the Footswitch Page I have the different PC #'s in each Scene. But I have to press the Footswitch to activate the Midi. I need it to be activated when I select the scene. You say the Config page? I'm using AX Edit program.
That's what was missing. I was setting a Footswitch instead of the Midi Send in the Config panel. There's so many different places to go it's hard to tell where you are and what else you need to go into.

So my Midi footswitch was working but my Scene Midi sends weren't setup. When it kept going back to channel one after the scene changes it was confusing. I thought what you needed to do was the same as what is done with all of the other blocks. Turn it on and it will works

But I guess not.

OK that's midi conquered.

Back
Top Bottom