FW 1.06 AC30TB (U2) TEST

Here is comparison, which I did when I bought Justin York Collection.

The last one ist famous free Vox 1965 Cab from this Forum.

Played with FW 1.01 and a Vox AC 30.

Dax 13 Mix N+R -
JY 58 in Cloth -
JY R121 - 421 A2 -
1965 Free

I finally got to mess a few minutes with the new improved ac30tb in the new fw and man, it's like night and day!!! I'm not 100% there yet, but now I feel I can get there much easier (and mostly it does sound great in most settings like a real ac30) as opposed to previous firmwares where I was constantly unhappy unless using 2 amp blocks. So thumbs up for @fas for listening to customers' feedback and putting it into the unit, thanks so much!
Anyways, sloppy recording, full U2 live track on the left, my guitar on the right, guitar track was much louder than backing track so I got lost here and there, but hey, after all this test was for tone, not for skills!! lol

Sounds amazing, would you mind share preset please?

This has been a great subject to follow - thank you again edo and the entire FAS community. This is such great learning for me and I'm super grateful to those who share their experiences, skills and growth.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Really priceless experience being shared here by guys like EDO and the rest of the U2 crowd.
I can't tell you how much it helps me or how much time it saves me (and I spend a lot of time) learning my favorite U2 songs.

Sounds Great

What do you do to model the dynamic behavior of the Celestion Blue speakers? As far as I understand the IR technology, it is great at capturing the frequency response of a speaker, but it cannot handle the non linear properties such as compression and distortion/saturation.

Do you place a compressor block between amp and cab, or is there an output compressor in the cab block already?

(not yet a fractal owner, but I love Celestion blue, and I have difficulty getting the Blue emulations to sound right with my torpedo CAB)

Sounds Great

What do you do to model the dynamic behavior of the Celestion Blue speakers? As far as I understand the IR technology, it is great at capturing the frequency response of a speaker, but it cannot handle the non linear properties such as compression and distortion/saturation.

Do you place a compressor block between amp and cab, or is there an output compressor in the cab block already?

(not yet a fractal owner, but I love Celestion blue, and I have difficulty getting the Blue emulations to sound right with my torpedo CAB)
Honestly, I'm not doing anything fancy other than micing the cab, running it thru a good mix pre, removing the powered signal with the mic/DI technique. That's about it!

nothing fancy on the delay block, 2290, 40% wet, feedback 20%, mod rate 2.5khz, mod depth 53%, and obviously before amp block

@edo, do you use the SDD preamp block? If so, when you do, do you put the delay in-between the SDD and amp. or before the SDD?

Guitar -> SDD -> 2290 -> amp -> cab
or
Guitar -> 2290 -> SDD -> amp -> cab

Thanks Edo.

Sounds Great

one of the things that adds to the realism of the Axe FX is that the amp block and cab block account for "reactive load" and fluctuations in the resistance of the speaker, and of course the output transformer. So, Cliff accounts for that already. And the key settings are exposed for advanced users to tweak to their liking, if necessary.

I think there is a difference between simulation of a reactive load and speaker compression, but speaker compression is huge with blues

I finally got to mess a few minutes with the new improved ac30tb in the new fw and man, it's like night and day!!! I'm not 100% there yet, but now I feel I can get there much easier (and mostly it does sound great in most settings like a real ac30) as opposed to previous firmwares where I was constantly unhappy unless using 2 amp blocks. So thumbs up for @fas for listening to customers' feedback and putting it into the unit, thanks so much!
Anyways, sloppy recording, full U2 live track on the left, my guitar on the right, guitar track was much louder than backing track so I got lost here and there, but hey, after all this test was for tone, not for skills!! lol

Really inspiring and great tone!

Okay @edo this really started to bother me so I went deep into the geekland to help you out! :)

Take a look at this video:

Wrong AC30 for sure but the mic comparison is really helpful. The main difference between the microphones is the volume level. That doesn't matter in IR's but with these minor EQ tweaks you should be able to turn my SM57 IR's into Beta 58 IR's or something that's really close to it at least. Take a look at these graphs. You'll see that all three Shure mics are pretty much identical. The biggest difference is that the SM57 is brighter after 6000hz. But I didn't stop there...

SM57-INTO-BETA-58.jpg

That red line is a match EQ curve and in the top right corner of that match EQ screen I placed the tweaks that should get you pretty close.

-1.4dB at 150hz
-1.0dB at 750hz
High cut starting at 6000hz

So yes the differences are quite small after the volume difference.

WOW!!! I just came back to this thread today and I have actually been looking at Frequency Graphs of the SM58 vs Beta 58a for about the last hour contemplating doing the same thing with a post cab PEQ block to make the SM58 match the curve of the Beta 58a. Great work ML!!! I will plug these in and give it a try.........and will be with edo waiting on the day for when you get a chance to shoot those Beta58a IR's!!!

Here is my version based on latest firmware. This is just me with AxeFx and backtrack. No drive or SDD model in front of the amp. It's all amp settings, then delay and reverb. Close to Slane tone. No original Edge guitar in this track.

Here is my version based on latest firmware. This is just me with AxeFx and backtrack. No drive or SDD model in front of the amp. It's all amp settings, then delay and reverb. Close to Slane tone. No original Edge guitar in this track.

Sounds fantastic Michael. What cab did you use?

Sounds fantastic Michael. What cab did you use?

I spent time on cabs a few months ago and came up with a combination of two high ultrares cabs that I liked mixed 50/50: 2x12 Class-A E350 and 2x12 Class-A MD421. They both had characteristics I thought were part of Edge's tone. Not sure which packs they came from (I would have to go back and look at all my files). I don't judge by name or type of cab/speaker etc. I just try them all and use what I think is closest to Edge's tone. Some IRs seem "muted" or "dull." I avoid those. However, I also believe you can adjust the tone of the amp model to get what you are looking for given a certain IR. It's an iterative process. There is no one or right way to get great tone with the AxeFx. I personally think the amp model is settings are more important. I have hundreds of hours invested in my current amp model. I'm constantly tweeking and comparing to live clips. It's sounding better than ever.

Back
Top Bottom