FW 1.06 AC30TB (U2) TEST

edo

Power User
Vendor

I finally got to mess a few minutes with the new improved ac30tb in the new fw and man, it's like night and day!!! I'm not 100% there yet, but now I feel I can get there much easier (and mostly it does sound great in most settings like a real ac30) as opposed to previous firmwares where I was constantly unhappy unless using 2 amp blocks. So thumbs up for @fas for listening to customers' feedback and putting it into the unit, thanks so much!
Anyways, sloppy recording, full U2 live track on the left, my guitar on the right, guitar track was much louder than backing track so I got lost here and there, but hey, after all this test was for tone, not for skills!! lol

I finally got to mess a few minutes with the new improved ac30tb in the new fw and man, it's like night and day!!! I'm not 100% there yet, but now I feel I can get there much easier (and mostly it does sound great in most settings like a real ac30) as opposed to previous firmwares where I was constantly unhappy unless using 2 amp blocks. So thumbs up for @fas for listening to customers' feedback and putting it into the unit, thanks so much!
Anyways, sloppy recording, full U2 live track on the left, my guitar on the right, guitar track was much louder than backing track so I got lost here and there, but hey, after all this test was for tone, not for skills!! lol

Man...... I want your preset!!! Mine's close......but your delay is just killer!!! I can not get my details to sound like that..... I get in the ball park, but not like that. Your patch sir.....sounds excellent!!!

Edo, your skills are second to none in the U2 world. This does sound good, but if you slide full left and full right and listen separately, there is still something missing on the right compared to the live track. A crisp breakup is missing I think. The Axe is a slighted muted or dull here only on a relative basis (but still sounds great). There is a little more breakup in this particular version from Edge (and of course it's live so who knows what else was done to the master etc). I've upgraded also an will post a few clips this weekend.

You can't just listen with the balance in the middle because the two tracks mix and sound more similar than they really are.

Edo, your skills are second to none in the U2 world. This does sound good, but if you slide full left and full right and listen separately, there is still something missing on the right compared to the live track. A crisp breakup is missing I think. The Axe is a slighted muted or dull here only on a relative basis (but still sounds great). There is a little more breakup in this particular version from Edge (and of course it's live so who knows what else was done to the master etc). I've upgraded also an will post a few clips this weekend.

You can't just listen with the balance in the middle because the two tracks mix and sound more similar than they really are.

Agree, I was just experimenting with the improved dynamics and I finally hear that chime that was never able to get without being icepickey on older fw's. However yes, since I made that clip (which is like 20 minutes ago) i already boosted some more around the 4khz area in the pre power amp eq and that adds that extra something that is missing. Also, added some proximity to add that booming bottom end that you can hear on the arpeggio part on the G string, and that worked too. I'm going out to dinner, tomorrow i'll try and record the same clip with the updated patch

I can hear what you are saying, but there is no telling what was done to those tracks in post production. The Live version does sound more crisp, but edo's recording is straight from the Axe I would assume with no post production(please correct me if I am wrong edo). It still sounds pretty stinking stellar and just needs a bit more sparkle maybe on the top end??? Could be IR choice or maybe not taking out that 4k at the very end edo??? I'm just taking a stab there as I played with throwing a GEQ block after the amp, before the cab and boosted it in the 1000kHz range and the 4000kHz range and it added some nice sparkle that was almost annoying when played at volume alone with no band. I ended up turning it off as I was just playing alone at home. In a band enviroment it may sound killer.

I can hear what you are saying, but there is no telling what was done to those tracks in post production. The Live version does sound more crisp, but edo's recording is straight from the Axe I would assume with no post production(please correct me if I am wrong edo). It still sounds pretty stinking stellar and just needs a bit more sparkle maybe on the top end??? Could be IR choice or maybe not taking out that 4k at the very end edo??? I'm just taking a stab there as I played with throwing a GEQ block after the amp, before the cab and boosted it in the 1000kHz range and the 4000kHz range and it added some nice sparkle that was almost annoying when played at volume alone with no band. I ended up turning it off as I was just playing alone at home. In a band enviroment it may sound killer.

correct! The thing is that this machine sounds so different depending on the volume... I recorded using headphones, and usually all presets tend to sound a little darker than playing loud through speakers, so I thought it was enough, but then i realized it was not!

ok, I have a question about the 2290 delay.....when I try to put it infront of an amp, I get no delay. I can move that same block behind the amp, and I get delay all day long. what the crap am I doing wrong?

I've loaded other peoples 2290 blocks into my patches and I get delay in front of the amp block, but if I try to create a new Delay block from scratch in front of my amp block.... I get nothing! It's been like that since I got my Axe.

you have to switch "phase reverse" to none (or both), otherwise the 2 sides are out of phase and cancel each other

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I'm sure I missed reading that somewhere, but for the life of me it has been pissing me off for the last 2 years!!!

I think i did, I'm not sure, I bought lots of ac30 ir's including oh but never really found any use for them. So far I like the ML class A cab pack and those ir's from the axe fest germany, but still, they're both missing that beta58 character on the high mids

Back
Top Bottom