FW 1.06 AC30TB (U2) TEST

Sweet, and very kind gesture of you! Looking forward to experiment on that later! To answer your question about the 2 vox's with the same mic placement, like I wrote in an earlier post, the one on the right is set as regular ac30tb with typical vintage settings (bass at 6, treble at 4, volume at breakup) while the one on the left is operating the the "hot" mode, which is an exclusive to the current hand wired series and basically t bypasses the eq to add extra gain. Most strat songs use Vox 1, and most humbucker songs use Vox 2. I'm not sure you're interested in a full insight on edge's amps / mic setups through the years, but in case you do, feel free to ask! lol
And to answer your appreciation on my quest for ultimate edge's tone, it has become an obsession since I got the axe, so blame that on fractal!! the thing is that until 2 years ago I used to plug pedals / racks into 1 or 2 voxes and yet the key ingredient has always been missing: amp breakup (as you probably know, with an ac30 that is wicked loud). Since I got the axe, I felt like I could finally add that key ingredient to the tone without crashing windows, but I could only achieve a good result by using 2 amp blocks in parallel.
Anyways, besides tech stuff, playing in u2 tributes is what pays most of my bills, so that's why I want to get it right!

edo, based on the clip in the first post I'd say you have gone beyond "getting it right" into obsessive pursuit of minute details that only people with incredibly well trained ears can hear. I admire your pursuit for perfection, but if I saw you play using the tones in that opening clip I would be amazed!

Well done sir, and thanks for sharing tips with the rest of us who are not blessed with such a discerning ear. It's been a long time since I owned an AC30 but edge of breakup Voxy tones have always been some of my favorite tones with Strats. As you say, getting those tones at volumes that don't shatter my ears is fantastic.

@edo I've been there myself. For me it was the chase for Petrucci tones. Oh man... I'm still on that road. :D He has so many different tones to chase.

nothing fancy on the delay block, 2290, 40% wet, feedback 20%, mod rate 2.5khz, mod depth 53%, and obviously before amp block

Edo, why do you put the delay block before the amp.? When I try it, the preset doesn't sounds as full as it does when the delay is after the cab...if that makes sense? Do you use a stereo cab and pan it?

I'm guessing he does it that way because the AC30 does not have an FX loop and that's also probably the way The Edge does it.

I asked Indeloon if he had a single mic SM58 capture of the '64 Vox cabinet that he shot, but he never responded to my question. He has posted a 58/609 mix that sounds really good, but I would also just like a single mic 58 capture. Maybe you could hit him up and see if he has just a 58 capture IR. Maybe your reputation will be better than mine and warrant a response......cause his AC30 IR's are pretty stellar and it what got me trying out the AC30 again. I constantly flip between his 58/609 capture and ML's Class A 57a capture.
Hey! That is super awesome of you to say. I totally forgot to respond to you about the single 58 capture. I absolutely do have those. I will post one later today when I get home :) thank you again for the kind words!

Hi indeloon85 ! Please do, I'm also interested and I'm sure a lot of people here will be. And if you could find a way to uplaod the mixes and single mics files in ir format that would be great : so we could mix then in cab lab. Thanks a lot

Hey! That is super awesome of you to say. I totally forgot to respond to you about the single 58 capture. I absolutely do have those. I will post one later today when I get home :) thank you again for the kind words!
Thanks, you ROCK Indeloon85!!!

sounds amazing

to answer some points raised in the thread....

delays always go before the amp - no fx loop in the ac30.

watch out when using the 2290 delay type. placing it in front of an amp will cancel out the delay repeats, as one side is phase reversed. change the phase reverse parameter to "none"

i feel you on the tone quest...i've been chasing allan holdsworth tones since i had an ultra!

watch out when using the 2290 delay type. placing it in front of an amp will cancel out the delay repeats, as one side is phase reversed. change the phase reverse parameter to "none"

Yeah, I never bothered to find out about this till yesterday.....and it pissed me off for 2 years as I could never figure out why I lost the 2290 repeats if I threw it in front.....lol.

Edo, do you know if those are actually new AC30's or are they his vintage amps housed in new chassis'? It's hard to tell from that pic.

Those are new, current production ac30hw2x housed in a black cab. Not 100% sure if they've been modded from stock components, according to my local amp tech (who owns one) there is lots of room for upgrades, maybe considering that edge's main 60's Vox has been heavily modified through the years they might have matched a few components to that amp, but I can't say for sure. But you can tell they're new by the panel, which is built into the chassis and can't be replaced.

@mlsoundlab, yes, I remember that, I've had my dream theater phase and tone quest back in the days, I had triaxis, 2:90, lexicon stuff etc and ironically enough, in the same weekend in 2001 I saw dt and u2 in Boston and that was the time I realized "how the hell can a guitar sound like that?? This is going to me my next quest!!"

Just checked it out, second half sounds very good, the herdim truly makes 60% of the tone, although.. Is that a strat in quack position???

Yeah, I was AMAZED at the difference the herdim picks made.
Lol, nope.....tele with a set of Onamac Vintage Tele pickups, bridge position. I've never bonded with a Strat.....tried several different ones and just can't find a pickup set that I like the sound of. Any recommendations?

Yeah, I was AMAZED at the difference the herdim picks made.
Lol, nope.....tele with a set of Onamac Vintage Tele pickups, bridge position. I've never bonded with a Strat.....tried several different ones and just can't find a pickup set that I like the sound of. Any recommendations?

That's what I thought! It sounded like a tele in middle position! Strats are very strange animals... It's totally random, I have 4 and they sound completely different from each other! I was speaking with jamiroquai 's guitarist backstage at a festival a few years back and he told me that he has like 26 strats, including vintage and hi end custom shop, but the best sounding he had was a Japanese late 80's / early 90's and that's the one he uses the most.

That's what I thought! It sounded like a tele in middle position! Strats are very strange animals... It's totally random, I have 4 and they sound completely different from each other! I was speaking with jamiroquai 's guitarist backstage at a festival a few years back and he told me that he has like 26 strats, including vintage and hi end custom shop, but the best sounding he had was a Japanese late 80's / early 90's and that's the one he uses the most.
Yeah, the closest I came was a Squire Wayne's World Excalibur Strat from like '92 or '93. That thing just felt great, the neck played like butter, it felt great.....I put a set of Lollar Blackface pickups in it as the originals were long gone. Loved the sound but wanted more. Traded the Lollars for a set of Fralin Woodstocks....HATED THEM!!! Ended up selling the Strat and a handful of others to buy my ES-137. I did pick up and play a Nash a few months ago at a local shop that had a set of Lollar Dirty Blondes in it and that guitar sounded insane through a 70's Twin....didn't get to try it through my Axe rig though as I did not have $1600 at the time to buy it.......

Back
Top Bottom