FW 1.06 AC30TB (U2) TEST

I spent time on cabs a few months ago and came up with a combination of two high ultrares cabs that I liked mixed 50/50: 2x12 Class-A E350 and 2x12 Class-A MD421. They both had characteristics I thought were part of Edge's tone. Not sure which packs they came from (I would have to go back and look at all my files). I don't judge by name or type of cab/speaker etc. I just try them all and use what I think is closest to Edge's tone. Some IRs seem "muted" or "dull." I avoid those. However, I also believe you can adjust the tone of the amp model to get what you are looking for given a certain IR. It's an iterative process. There is no one or right way to get great tone with the AxeFx. I personally think the amp model is settings are more important. I have hundreds of hours invested in my current amp model. I'm constantly tweeking and comparing to live clips. It's sounding better than ever.

Thank you for all that info. It's pretty much how I approach the Axe. I'll be very honest here and state that I don't understand the relationship between most of the deep-editing functions of the amp block on the Axe, so for the most part I'm depending on my ears to hone in on the sound I'm looking for. I'm learning at an exponential rate from this forum and the U2GT forum, but I think the most significant lesson I've learned is to trust my ears. I'll post a clip here or on U2GT soon to highlight current core AC30 tone.

I spent time on cabs a few months ago and came up with a combination of two high ultrares cabs that I liked mixed 50/50: 2x12 Class-A E350 and 2x12 Class-A MD421. They both had characteristics I thought were part of Edge's tone. Not sure which packs they came from (I would have to go back and look at all my files). I don't judge by name or type of cab/speaker etc. I just try them all and use what I think is closest to Edge's tone. Some IRs seem "muted" or "dull." I avoid those. However, I also believe you can adjust the tone of the amp model to get what you are looking for given a certain IR. It's an iterative process. There is no one or right way to get great tone with the AxeFx. I personally think the amp model is settings are more important. I have hundreds of hours invested in my current amp model. I'm constantly tweeking and comparing to live clips. It's sounding better than ever.

I would pay for that preset!

It sounds nice Michael.
What are the main differences between your amp model and the stock AC30TB in the new firmware (I mean, already with CF comp 75%, ...) ??

Those are new, current production ac30hw2x housed in a black cab. Not 100% sure if they've been modded from stock components, according to my local amp tech (who owns one) there is lots of room for upgrades, maybe considering that edge's main 60's Vox has been heavily modified through the years they might have matched a few components to that amp, but I can't say for sure. But you can tell they're new by the panel, which is built into the chassis and can't be replaced.

"Vintage Fender amps – a ’56 Harvard and ’58 Deluxe – sitting alongside two AC30s custom built by VOX Amplifier Co. to The Edge’s specs for this tour and his new Fender “The Edge” Deluxe."

http://mobileproductionpro.com/publications/mpm_issues/mobile_production_monthly_v8_i9.pdf

Reactions: edo
.....and now? what changes have asked The Edge? an SDD-preamp integrated into Vox? :):):)

Happy New Year

Dino

"Vintage Fender amps – a ’56 Harvard and ’58 Deluxe – sitting alongside two AC30s custom built by VOX Amplifier Co. to The Edge’s specs for this tour and his new Fender “The Edge” Deluxe."

http://mobileproductionpro.com/publications/mpm_issues/mobile_production_monthly_v8_i9.pdf
Yeah i've read that article, I suppose he's had these hw2 amps modded to his old vox1&2 specs (as those had been modded over the years), maybe a few different caps here and there.. I think I already said this, my local amp tech has a hw2 and he said he's replaced / improved quite a few components as they're cheap and says that amp has lots of room for improvement. Or maybe the edge's specs are just black tolex! Lol
Happy new year btw!!

probably this amp has more possibility of changes with vintage specific (especially if you've sixties tolex :D)

Back
Top Bottom