Front input higher priority than Rear input

Is this a good idea?

• Total voters

prometh

Power User
I have a mic preamp plugged into the back and my guitar plugged into the front. I'd like for the guitar to take priority when plugged in, as this is my primary use of the Axe-Fx. I currently have to disconnect the mic pre every time I wish to play guitar.

Would it be possible to add such a priority switch to the I/O screen?

I think this is a good idea. It lets you, for instance, have front-panel override over a wireless connection with a wired one, or change guitars just by plugging another one in in front. For your application, you could plug your mic preamp into the right rear input, and use either, or both simultaneously in the same patch.

This exactly:

I think this is a good idea. It lets you, for instance, have front-panel override over a wireless connection with a wired one, or change guitars just by plugging another one in in front. For your application, you could plug your mic preamp into the right rear input, and use either, or both simultaneously in the same patch.

Seems to me that would probably require a hardware modification as well as a modification of the firmware, though I don't know for sure. If it needs a hardware modification as well you can pretty much forget about it.

Now what you might be able to find is an external box that you could plug into the front input that would do what you're talking about. Or hell, just get an A/B box, plug two guitars into it and then one cable out to the Axe and you can switch between them easily.

Seems to me that would probably require a hardware modification as well as a modification of the firmware, though I don't know for sure. If it needs a hardware modification as well you can pretty much forget about it.

Now what you might be able to find is an external box that you could plug into the front input that would do what you're talking about. Or hell, just get an A/B box, plug two guitars into it and then one cable out to the Axe and you can switch between them easily.

This has been asked for before. Correct, Cliff stated it would require a hardware modification. I use an abcadabra for this:
Sound Sculpture: ABCadabra - Midi Controlled AB Switch

Correct, Cliff stated it would require a hardware modification.
A lot of equipment establishes jack priority using the built-in switching that some jacks have. If that's the case with the Axe-FX, it might be possible to pull this off as a do-it-yourself mod without changing the PC board. It depends on how it's accomplished int he Axe.

100% agreed..!! Any kind of external A/B box is not what I'm after (albeit easy to acomplish).

I have a ton of matching wireless packs and every insturment has one wired to it and all are set to the same frequency as my receiver which is plugged into the back. I only have one on at a time and when I need to make a quick change I turn it off, grab the next instrument and turn it on, and I'm in business.

My wish for the front jack is to be able to plug a cord into it and override the wireless (rear jack), whether it's because the wireless is crapping out or whether I just want to test drive something via a cable for whatever reason (such as hearing it without the wireless sucking the life out of it by comparrison). I'm envisioning a jack change-out and a firmware update at best, or firmware and a new board & jack at worst...

I've noticed my acoustic is way more prone to feeding back when using the front input. It would be great to plug that in the rear and just unplug the front to use it. Now I plug the acoustic into input2 and need to use the feedback loop to get the sound back to output2 for my monitor. Which seriously impairs the number of possible effects.

Block #1 needs to stay empty because it automatically connects to input1 which ideally should not be connected so I'm not forced to unplug my electric. Block #2 is feedback return to get the sound from the rear of the chain to the fxloop, 3 is the fxloop to get sound to output2 and insert input2 into the chain. Block12 is feedback send. That leaves blocks 4 through 11 for effects.

Anybody know a good internet forum addiction therapist? Preferably online?

I've noticed my acoustic is way more prone to feeding back when using the front input.
That seems odd. EQ should be the same from front to back, unless the I/O|Mode is misconfigured. Any idea why you get more feedback at the front input?

The front input has a bit of a different feel from the back line input. I forget why, but there are some other posts on it here in the forums. It's by design.

The front input has a bit of a different feel from the back line input. I forget why, but there are some other posts on it here in the forums. It's by design.

Front is designed for guitar input level, rear is for line level input.
front max input level is +12dBu while rear is +18dBu

Both front and rear should be flat if you are not saturating the input.

The front input has some additional noise reduction in the form of a high-frequency pre-emphasis that's offset by de-emphasis later in the signal chain. EQ and feel are identical from front to back.

That seems odd. EQ should be the same from front to back, unless the I/O|Mode is misconfigured. Any idea why you get more feedback at the front input?
Because it is designed to accept an instrument-level input, the front has higher gain than the rear, which is designed for line-level signals.

If you adjust the two for matched gain and select the appropriate input from the front panel, there will be no difference between the two as regards feedback, sound, or feel.

Front is designed for guitar input level, rear is for line level input.
front max input level is +12dBu while rear is +18dBu
I've never understood that statement regarding front-for-instrument-level and rear-for-line-level. You can see from the max input level spec that both can handle line level just fine, and I know from experience that they both work great at instrument level. On top of that, input impedence is identical. From the specs and from my experience, both front and back are equally suited to both line and instrument levels.

Back
Top Bottom