Fripp has an Axe FX!

Great news.

He plays (mainly) Crimson guitars (what else? ;-) . There is a Robert Fripp model he created with the owner /luthier. Who has a website btw.
No shit? Ha. I've seen that guy on YouTube when I was researching how to smooth out and refine nut slots.

He's still using Eventide H3000s? Along with two H8000s. And that sure looks like a Roland GP100. So he uses one of the oldest amp modelers, and the newest. And he uses one of the oldest multi-effects, and the newest. And a Les Paul with a Kahler. Strange fellow.

That is great news. He is my hero. Now fractal has to give us at least 16 seconds digital delay so Fripp can leave his Eventides at home next gig. ;)

I am very curious what he use the Axe for and what it is supposed to replace. The Eventide H8000 has better quality effects I think so it will be unlikely that the Axe will replace them. And also the longer delays for his soundscapes can't be done with the Axe fx.

Btw what is that 1st piece of new gear on the picture?

Last edited:
That is great news. He is my hero. Now fractal has to give us at least 16 seconds digital delay so Fripp can leave his Eventides at home next gig. ;)

I am very curious what he use the Axe for and what it is supposed to replace. The Eventide HD8000 has better quality effects I think so it will be unlikely that the Axe will replace them. And also the longer delays for his soundscapes can't be done with the Axe fx.

Btw what is that 1st piece of new gear on the picture?

If you mean top unit in OP, that´s an Memotron (digital rack mellotron).
If you mean in the (no1) picture series in the diaries, that´s an Eventide Eclipse on top of an Axon AX100.
If you mean none of these abovementioned, I don´t understand which one you meant...

I am very curious what he use the Axe for and what it is supposed to replace.

why do you assume it's going to replace anything? the eventide eclipse didn't replace the h3000's...although it could have done, quite easily. with all those fx units at his disposal, if the axe is going to replace anything, i guess it would be the gp100, but we'll just have to wait and see...

why do you assume it's going to replace anything? the eventide eclipse didn't replace the h3000's...although it could have done, quite easily. with all those fx units at his disposal, if the axe is going to replace anything, i guess it would be the gp100, but we'll just have to wait and see...
exactly. I don't get it why some people constantly assume that the Axe needs to replace anything or isn't as good as this or that which it's "supposed" to replace. maybe some people just want to use the Axe along other gear, combining the strength of each unit.

I wish I had that rack... The Eventide stuff is AMAZING and the combo of all of his tools could conjure up some pretty crazy sounding stuff.

I 'made out' with Toyah once. Just sayin'

In the Leeds 'Fan Club' venue dressing room - many, many years ago (before she met Mr Fripp)

True.

I guess you are right. Not everybody wants to downsize. I would if I have to carry that amount of gear each time. The Axe can't do everything that the H8000's do for his soundscapes. Was just wandering what he will be using Axe for since he already has some of the best effect units out there.

Also don't understand for what exactly he uses those two H3000's if he already has 2 H8000's.

Btw why he is called Bob? Saw that on an album too..

very curious what this new line up comes up with. I am a big Crimson and Fripp fan but I am little hesitant because I didn't like the last Jakszyk, Fripp & Collins album at all (which is sort of the same line up). So I hope they will take this in another direction and work up to KC standards.

saw the Crimson Projects for the second time this year. Tony Levin is using a Kemper now!!! :) no other amps. Didn't know the Kemper was for bass too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom