Freqout sim (all units) how to do it with the synth block

I wonder if some of the new sustainer algos will enhance this effect
What if we ran the synth block
Into an analog sustainer before it hits the amp block

Then use a control switch group
So you hit one or hold 1 switch to turn on the synth and sustainer
I was trying compressors before and after the synth block, but I didn't get good results. It works better the drive block before the synth as a boost, as @simeon recommended.
I am very satisfied with the last configuration of my preset, that I posted previously. But if you get something interesting adding compressors, please share the info :guitar:

wouldn't make any difference. the synth block has tracking set to "off" in this case, which means it produces a note forever
I was trying compressors before and after the synth block, but I didn't get good results. It works better the drive block before the synth as a boost, as @simeon recommended.
I am very satisfied with the last configuration of my preset, that I posted previously. But if you get something interesting adding compressors, please share the info :guitar:
I think the synth is actually really good and smooth , adding sustainers and drive will probably up the noise floor substantially
I will check out the preset you posted I 🤔 have 4 of them lol

adding sustainers and drive will probably up the noise floor substantially
the drive block goes before the synth block. you also have to connect the drive to the input and change the synth tracking setting to pitch + env. works much better for me if you dont't do any of that and leave the synth unconnected and tracking to off, like in the original instructions. it's only worth changing if your guitar has very low output, or you get pitch warbling as the note decays

I've gave it another shot today after Leon's video. I do not have an expression pedal. I've assigned it to the control switch on the Voice 1 level, but what do I need to to make it kick off automatically? I guess I need to use another type of controller? Simeon previously said "set up a control switch as a preset override", I cannot find how to make a preset override.
Btw I've tried the preset shared in this thread, but that didn't work either.
I have created the control switch, and assinged it to my scene, but when I play the Voice1 level never moves.1675430019810.png

Last edited:
In that vid, Leon has an FC12, and mapping the control switch to a switch on FC12. I only have the AxeFxIII, where should I map the control switch then?

@TGM you need some sort of external controller, whether it be an FC controller, exp pedal or external switch connected to one of the pedal jacks in the back of the Axe-Fx.

Reactions: TGM
Did a little vid with these settings today. Sim, you're a star.

That’s great @2112 and thank you Simeon
Question although it is a bit of a more programming could you not have it like one of Matt’s suggestion

Exp pedal add the 5th when stepped on then toe down adds the octave so you essentially have 2
Setting in the range sweep
Then use Cooper perfect whammy to auto engage ?

Thanks @simeon and @2112 for this great post and video. There is one Control Switch limitation that you must consider when assigning a switch on the FC-6 and the FC-12.

From the Fractal Footswitch Function Guide p.12:

SPECIAL NOTE: On an FC-6 or FC-12, the “MLM Switch Combination” relies on an invisible Hold function on the lower right switch . A Momentary Control Switch assigned to the Tap function of the lower right switch will therefore not work unless the MLM is disabled in SETUP.

After 15 minutes of failure—-I went to the manual. :rage:

but what do I need to to make it kick off automatically?
I have created the control switch, and assinged it to my scene, but when I play the Voice1 level never moves.
it sounds from what you've written here that you're not actually pressing the switch with your foot. i suspect that might be because you're not seeing it in your layout. i have no idea how to do it from the front panel, because it's much easier to do it from axe edit

there's a button called "FC Per-Prst" top right. hit it and you'll see this
Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 09.21.57.png

in the tap section select control switch from the dropdown. momentary is selected by default, so stick with that and CS1 is selected by degfault as well (you can change these later if you want). give it a custom name like "Feedback".
so you've now defined "PP#1" as your new button, so place it in your layout by hitting the "overrides" button (top right again) and changing "none" to "PP#1" in the layout and position you want the button to appear. you'll have to actually press the button and hold it down to make the effect work.

Thanks @simeon and @2112 for this great post and video. There is one Control Switch limitation that you must consider when assigning a switch on the FC-6 and the FC-12.

From the Fractal Footswitch Function Guide p.12:

SPECIAL NOTE: On an FC-6 or FC-12, the “MLM Switch Combination” relies on an invisible Hold function on the lower right switch . A Momentary Control Switch assigned to the Tap function of the lower right switch will therefore not work unless the MLM is disabled in SETUP.

After 15 minutes of failure—-I went to the manual. :rage:
Thanks for pointing this out. I was having the same issue. It worked with an expression pedal but not on a CS assigned to switch 6. Disabled MLM in setup and it works just fine now. Thanks again.

@simeon,

Thanks for all this thus far...my question is that with your suggestions, I've tried setting the Mix to 100% but get a horrendous single tone if the CS Per Scene is ON. If it's OFF, no horrendous tone. The problem is, my FM9 won't allow me to set the Mix to 100%, nor does the Mix increase from 0% when my momentary hold is pressed...

Here's several SS's of my FM9-Edit...specifically the Mix modifier, Per Presets #8 & 9, and my FC Edit w/ Overrides...Synth block is set per yours and LT's instructions...

ildjzJs.png

ls1Aesf.png

5Ov85wW.png

@simeon,

Thanks for all this thus far...my question is that with your suggestions, I've tried setting the Mix to 100% but get a horrendous single tone if the CS Per Scene is ON. If it's OFF, no horrendous tone. The problem is, my FM9 won't allow me to set the Mix to 100%, nor does the Mix increase from 0% when my momentary hold is pressed...

Here's several SS's of my FM9-Edit...specifically the Mix modifier, Per Presets #8 & 9, and my FC Edit w/ Overrides...Synth block is set per yours and LT's instructions...

ildjzJs.png

ls1Aesf.png

5Ov85wW.png
This is likely one issues

now you need to attach the pitch controller to the "frequency" parameter for voice 1. leave everything at default, except
"start" = 30.3%
"mid" = 62%
"end" = 93.7%

This is likely one issues

now you need to attach the pitch controller to the "frequency" parameter for voice 1. leave everything at default, except
"start" = 30.3%
"mid" = 62%
"end" = 93.7%

Yup. Got all that. i think my error is that in FC Per Preset, one needs to include a tap function (must be tap for a custom switch) and set it for momentary. The, in FC Edit, select the associated Per Preset # as a HOLD function. My error may have been that in a separate per preset #, I had the same CS as a latching switch.

This is how my Grissom1 preset scenes looks. Note that Boost has PP#5 in FC PP as CS1 Momentary Tap). Scene 4 (Lead) also uses PP#5 and CS1.

0biItSN.png

VehjgM0.png

Last edited:
ignore "hold" and leave settings at default
use "tap" settings instead
Um, the manual says one needs to select tap. Is it possible to select tap in FC PP but Hold in FC EDIT, considering that we're speaking about a momentary switch?

Also, because my layout config is OFM9G there isn't a layout for CS, only PP. Would I need sacrifice Songs/Setlists so CS were part of my layout config?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom