Freqout sim (all units) how to do it with the synth block

just copy the settings over from the hold side to the tap side and put hold back to defaults. it should work.
Thanks, @simeon,

I think I need to switch to decaf. Sheesh. Finally got the Mix level to function as it should. Was able to add the Synth block to almost all of my presets and set them with a ramp up 650ms and release of 50.1ms. Did something like this with my Harmonic Trem and Rotary block, except set the release as 400ms for a slow speed ramp up and decrease. Will check these Monday afternoon. When pressed, the footswitches display the Mix level increase/decrease within the related blocks.

Also needed to set each CS to OFF in Controllers, because they were previously set to ON and 100% Mix, which would have caused a horrific feedback loop each time a scene or preset was selected. (At least the neighbors will be spared a yowling had I not discovered this problem in time...)

Last edited:
One thing that was noted was that during switching from user preset to the next, the Synth Mix level might engage somewhat, perhaps from 0.0% to 17% or slightly more, and then it would decrease again quickly. Only happens during preset changes. If anyone has encountered this as well, please let us know what you did to solve this problem.

My ByPass modes for all my Synth block presets are Mute FX Out. If there might be a better option, your help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

well done. it's complicated. maybe a little to complicated and almost impossible to give good advice about it via text.

i haven't noticed the small amounts of synth coming through when changing presets. if i figure why that might be, i'll let you know

well done. it's complicated. maybe a little to complicated and almost impossible to give good advice about it via text.

i haven't noticed the small amounts of synth coming through when changing presets. if i figure why that might be, i'll let you know
Thanks. Your instructions were good, but there were a few extra things that needed doing (Controllers, setting Synth blocks to bypass for each preset clean scene). Am hoping that Mute FX Out will work better than Thru; systems check later this afternoon...will let you know...

Just wondering...how have you got your bypass set up for the Synth block? Also, did you utilize a control switch, or expression pedal for Mix levels? (Hoping to learn from folks who teach what they've found works...)

And, of course, what Level output did you find works best for humbucker guitars?

Last edited:
Can you post the preset to see how it works?
Due to the day job, I'm not on here a whole lot. Anyway, this is an older preset (I accidentally overwrote the newer one during the gift of tone series). The first screen shot is the modifiers I used on the pitch block level 1 and level 2 controls.

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 5.54.29 PM.png

The next screenshot is the modifier for my external pedal which controls the mix. Hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 5.55.30 PM.png

Attachments

• Fairchild.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 36
...You also have to connect the drive to the input and change the synth tracking setting to pitch + env. Works much better for me if you don't do any of that and leave the synth unconnected and tracking to off, like in the original instructions. It's only worth changing if your guitar has very low output, or you get pitch warbling as the note decays
@simeon,

Thanks for all of your assistance to this point...my Synth Mix level Attack and Release parameters are set at 650ms and 50.1ms. Before, the release was 399.9ms, for a slower note decay. Release is now set at 50.1ms. Encountered a problem where if the momentary tap CS was held until the sweep reached 100%, the note would abruptly warble and drop out.

My guess is that the parameter sweep ends at 100% and shuts off abruptly.

Would it wise to utilize a longer Mix level attack time, 1100ms, for example, and maintain a release time of 50.1ms? Or try setting the synth tracking to pitch + envelope?

EDIT: Have switched Synth 'Track' to 'Pitch + Env.' Also, for a slower harmonic note swell/decay, Attack: 650ms; Release: 399.99ms. Will test in the next several days and provide results then.

Last edited:
@simeon,
the note would abruptly warble and drop out.
this would be due to the guitar note decaying and the pitch detector not being able to detect which pitch was being played. if you now have tracking set to pitch+env, detach the pitch controller from frequency and put a drive block in front of the pitch block. this will increase the sustain of the note going into it. the synth detects pitch at the main input, but envelope at the block input

Also needed to set each CS to OFF in Controllers, because they were previously set to ON and 100% Mix, which would have caused a horrific feedback loop each time a scene or preset was selected. (At least the neighbors will be spared a yowling had I not discovered this problem in time...)
Thanks for pointing this out. Every time I switch to this preset the synth block would start squealing a high pitch tone. Drove my puppy nuts, lol. Was coming here to search to see if the topic had been covered but decided to check this thread again first. And whala, there it was.
Thanks again.

this would be due to the guitar note decaying and the pitch detector not being able to detect which pitch was being played. if you now have tracking set to pitch+env, detach the pitch controller from frequency and put a drive block in front of the pitch block. this will increase the sustain of the note going into it. the synth detects pitch at the main input, but envelope at the block input
? Not using a pitch block. If perhaps you meant synth block, plz clarify. This is an example of my preset:

q3sRAFr.png

bzlybJS.png

Understood if perhaps you're saying to place the synth block in line with the drive block, rather than a feed into amp block...and to unlink Frequency from my modifier...

sorry it was a typo. i meant synth block

Thanks. You said to disconnect the Frequency modifier from the synth block. Should the frequency parameters within the synth block still remain, or will the Track (pitch + env.) parameter take care of that?

Plz note that frequency is disconnected.

iJkbExl.png

Thanks. You said to disconnect the Frequency modifier from the synth block. Should the frequency parameters within the synth block still remain, or will the Track (pitch + env.) parameter take care of that?
i don't know what you mean by "frequency parameters", but if you're setting the tracking parameter to envelope and pitch, then the synth will automatically track the pitch. this is turning from a jog into a marathon. would it be easier if someone just gave you a preset?

i don't know what you mean by "frequency parameters", but if you're setting the tracking parameter to envelope and pitch, then the synth will automatically track the pitch. this is turning from a jog into a marathon. would it be easier if someone just gave you a preset?
Underneath 499.98, Frequency. Have reset Track to Pitch + Env.

Thanks for offering a preset; it gives one a sense of accomplishment when you solve problems yourself, with some help. If all turns out well, this will be enough. If not, I'll ask...

One doesn't need do anything with the Frequency modifier if Track is set to pitch + env?

the frequency parameter is ignored if tracking is set to pitch + env. give it a wiggle while playing a note, you'll see what i mean

you're almost there. keep going!

the frequency parameter is ignored if tracking is set to pitch + env. give it a wiggle while playing a note, you'll see what i mean

you're almost there. keep going!
:) Thanks, am looking forward to solving this, and getting it to work correctly...will need to postpone my work until separate obligations are taken care of...

I'll have to give this a go when I'm back home, wondering if this could finally replace my eBow/EOB Stratocaster.... :D

I have my Synth Block set up like the original post. Most of the time it works just fine, but every so often the Voice 1 Level will not go back to 0 when the Control Switch is released. I'm using FC1 Ext. Switch 1 for Source 1. The level will not go any lower than around 3%. This is not audible when I am playing, but when I stop it is very noticeable. Could this be a bug with the AxeFX Synth Block?? Anyone else see this behaviour? Or see anything wrong with my settings.
1676145576592.png
1676145861732.png
Thanks
Wally

Back
Top Bottom