Freqout sim (all units) how to do it with the synth block

If you follow the original instructions it works just fine on FM3. Only takes a minute to configure the synth block. Also just make sure you’re on the input you’re actually using. Mine was defaulted to input 2 and I use 1.
When I tried it, I could not get my exp pedal to move the mix\level modifiers. I had to remove the block and rebuild it everytime.

I think the FM9 (like the Axe-FX III) allows selecting any input as pitch follower source. Check if it's set to the input you're using at the Controllers: Tempo/Pitch menu.
That was it for me as well, not sure why it's defaulted to IP-2 but that fixed the issue!

Guys just got my fm9 last week and I'm trying this out. Following first post everything works as expected with the only issue that the effect shuts like after two seconds, so I have to pump the momentary switch to restart the effect. Anyone with a possible fix to this? Thanks in advance.

Guys just got my fm9 last week and I'm trying this out. Following first post everything works as expected with the only issue that the effect shuts like after two seconds, so I have to pump the momentary switch to restart the effect. Anyone with a possible fix to this? Thanks in advance.
Inverting the parameter Range on the Bypass menu did the trick ;)

i thought i'd copy this here in a separate thread, so more people might see it and it's easy to link back to. it seems to be a pretty perennial topic of discussion

it only uses one block, so it'll work on the FM3

put a synth block into your preset before the amp block. i like to have it in parallel with the main line. set mix to 100% and bypass mode to "mute fx in" in case you want to bypass it

you only need to use one voice, so set voice 1 to a triangle wave, set track to "off" and shift = 7 (also try 19 which sounds great on low notes). i have the block level on mine set to about -18db, but tweak that to taste.

View attachment 114711

attach a controller to voice 1 level. this can be an expression pedal (nice, for continuous control), or it can be a control switch. i have a control switch for mine (set up as an "FC per preset override) and i have set the "attack" parameter to about 600ms and the "release" parameter to 50ms. (this is in the parameter linking window). this is to make the effect fade in gradually. i like it on a momentary switch, rather than latching. adjust the attack value to taste.

View attachment 114712

now you need to attach the pitch controller to the "frequency" parameter for voice 1. leave everything at default, except
"start" = 30.3%
"mid" = 62%
"end" = 93.7%

this makes the frequency of the synth track the pitch follower (the pitch of any note you're playing)

View attachment 114713

you may need to tweak these values, as i've come across some units that seem to be calibrated very slightly differently

hope that helps. let me know if you have any questions

quick demo

I just want to thank you 'cause you gave me the "input" (with the possibility of the synth block to generate a "fixed" note) to develop my "Pink Floyd On The Run" preset where a single synth block generate a pink noise "chopped" by two tremolo blocks to have a sort of "e-drum" feel and another synth block generate a note that I pilot with a sequencer controller to have the sequencer loop part... This post you made gave me the "alternative" idea on how to use synth blocks in a different way...

Here is the entire Pitch Block with the modifiers. The moving harmonics are on channel D. Expression is mapped to Pedal 1
Unfortunately it gives me the error:
The block was saved using FM9 firmware version 4.00 and is not compatible with the connected device's firmware.

i thought i'd copy this here in a separate thread, so more people might see it and it's easy to link back to. it seems to be a pretty perennial topic of discussion

put a synth block into your preset before the amp block. i like to have it in parallel with the main line. set mix to 100% and bypass mode to "mute fx in" in case you want to bypass it

you only need to use one voice, so set voice 1 to a triangle wave, set track to "off" and shift = 7 (also try 19 which sounds great on low notes). i have the block level on mine set to about -18db, but tweak that to taste.

View attachment 114711

attach a controller to voice 1 level. this can be an expression pedal (nice, for continuous control), or it can be a control switch. i have a control switch for mine (set up as an "FC per preset override) and i have set the "attack" parameter to about 600ms and the "release" parameter to 50ms. (this is in the parameter linking window). this is to make the effect fade in gradually. i like it on a momentary switch, rather than latching. adjust the attack value to taste.

View attachment 114712

now you need to attach the pitch controller to the "frequency" parameter for voice 1. leave everything at default, except
"start" = 30.3%
"mid" = 62%
"end" = 93.7%

this makes the frequency of the synth track the pitch follower (the pitch of any note you're playing)

View attachment 114713

you may need to tweak these values, as i've come across some units that seem to be calibrated very slightly differently

quick demo

Hello and thank you for making this feedback post. Unfortunately I’m having a problem making this block set up. I’m using a FM9 turbo and after I follow your instructions my final result is a constant F# note. I’m using a Fractal Expression pedal and I assigned it as you wrote in your post. I was wondering if this preset is in fact FM9 friendly and if not can you recommend any changes that can allow me to get the feedback where it needs to be. Thank you.

it works just fine on the FM9. read the instructions again and make sure you have completed every step. it sounds like you haven't attached the pitch controller to the pitch of the synth block
i can't help more at the moment, i'm just about to go out, sorry.

Hello and thank you for making this feedback post. Unfortunately I’m having a problem making this block set up. I’m using a FM9 turbo and after I follow your instructions my final result is a constant F# note. I’m using a Fractal Expression pedal and I assigned it as you wrote in your post. I was wondering if this preset is in fact FM9 friendly and if not can you recommend any changes that can allow me to get the feedback where it needs to be. Thank you.
Make sure you have the right pedal # (1,2,3) assigned to the controller!

View attachment 114711

View attachment 114712

"start" = 30.3%
"mid" = 62%
"end" = 93.7%

View attachment 114713

quick demo

it works just fine on the FM9. read the instructions again and make sure you have completed every step. it sounds like you haven't attached the pitch controller to the pitch of the synth block
i can't help more at the moment, i'm just about to go out, sorry.
Thank you and have a great new year.
Make sure you have the right pedal # (1,2,3) assigned to the controller!
Will do, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom