Free Live Online Class "Recording Rock Guitars" with producer Andrew Wade

just for info I have noticed that the broudcast is being looped between broadcasts so since the original broadcast of 8 hours it is now on its second re broadcast.

pretty cool catch extra snippets LOL

awesome event , this is what we want for Axe Fest next time LOL

G \../

I've seen about three hours of the show. My take so far:

Mr. Wade clearly has solid knowledge and experience. He's passed along some gems, for sure. The fact that he's made it available for free is generous and very cool. Good marketing too, I think.

At a number of points, I found myself frustrated by incomplete sentences and topics that abruptly changed before they were fully laid out. He seemed distracted at times; I'm guessing he's fairly new to the whole presentation thing, and if he does this again, I wouldn't be surprised if his next one isn't more polished and efficient. The class so far could have been trimmed by at least half, without losing any information.

They obviously put some thought into the technical side of the presentation. Lighting and sound were done well, though the producer or engineer responsible for switching audio and video missed a few cues.

In summary, I'm glad I found this and had time to watch. I learned a few things. Thanks for cluing us in, Matt.

On another note, I'm amazed at how much action the venerable Tube Screamer gets. In *every* genre of music. I would never have guessed that even these heavy rock tones that Andrew is tracking are using Tube Screamers (real or virtual) in front of the totally saturated amps.

It's great for removing flub and tightening heavy tones.

I missed part of it, but does he actually use the Axe FX on recordings? Because one of his slides as he was talking about guitar tones read:

"To get world class guitar tracks you NEED to use real amps".

He hasn't used the Axe yet. From what I've seen so far, I don't get the sense that he's a power user with the Axe. When he said that there are certain amp tones that just can't be created with amp models, I tend to disagree. :) I'd love to see FAS get with him to have a crack at some of the tones he thinks can only be had with real amps.

The other thing he mentioned was that they were using some custom cab for a session. A good IR of that cab might be all that is necessary to replicate the tone he's talking about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Honestly these tones sound horrible to me, but I'm quite enjoying the broadcast anyway. Liking day 2 so far.

I can't believe that the host just said the Kemper will profile the guitar & pickups, but the Axe can't.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I can't believe Keith Merrow just said the Kemper gives more robust amp sounds than the Axe.

Thanks for introducing CreativeLive, awesome site! Looking forward to tomorrow's second half of the session and registered for a couple upcoming sessions (advanced drum production, and DIY mastering).

FAS (hint hint), would be awesome and well worth my money if there was an Axe-FX deep dive presentation for those of us who have not been fortunate enough to attend Axe-Fest!

++++1 on this, due to family restrictions I am unable to travel all that much but if you guys made an online training session for producing, presets etc (FAS University...lol) you bet I would $$ a reasonable amount, I think the demand is great!!!!!!!! right peeps?

I never saw the Kemper in action. Very cute. Won't be buying one, but I love the bubbly flashing look and the space alien noises. Reminds me of some sci fi tech from the 60s or something. :)

Somebody should respond to @creativeLive last tweet...

The axe fx/kemper debate thing? Ughh, hasnt this been "debated" like 700 times already! Use whatever works for you! And I cant believe Keith Merrow has such a definitive opinion of this issue, since I was fairly certain that he is a Kemper employee at this point :)

Back
Top Bottom