Free Live Online Class "Recording Rock Guitars" with producer Andrew Wade

He said he was going to demo & explain why amp sims just aren't as good as real amps. I assume he's talking about computer software sims, not the Axe. :)

The Axe-Fx will be the subject of tomorrow class, interesting subject and tips on today class

Thanks for introducing CreativeLive, awesome site! Looking forward to tomorrow's second half of the session and registered for a couple upcoming sessions (advanced drum production, and DIY mastering).

FAS (hint hint), would be awesome and well worth my money if there was an Axe-FX deep dive presentation for those of us who have not been fortunate enough to attend Axe-Fest!

They said there would be 1 free live rebroadcast & it looks like it's starting now. So, if you missed it, get on it now!

Thanks for introducing CreativeLive, awesome site! Looking forward to tomorrow's second half of the session and registered for a couple upcoming sessions (advanced drum production, and DIY mastering).

FAS (hint hint), would be awesome and well worth my money if there was an Axe-FX deep dive presentation for those of us who have not been fortunate enough to attend Axe-Fest!

I was thinking the same things. A couple of guys on this forum could also do some great sessions.

One thing I thought was interesting was the idea of creating a programmed bass track that you trust as a tuning reference. Then, as you track guitars, you constantly listen to them with the bass track to confirm that the guitars are staying in tune.

Reactions: sam
The track he's editing just sounds like syncopated noise to me (sorry, metal guys), but the "glitching/chopping" effect was pretty cool. I feel sorry for the guitar player who then has to recreate that for a live show. :)

Last edited:
This event is replaying again now for those in the appropriate time zones.

The sims vs. real amps discussion was somewhat amusing to me. The point Andrew wanted to make was that he thinks the IR is the most important piece of the puzzle. So, he was A/Bing Amplitude, Pod Farm, and another sim with a real amp - but always using the same IR (that he made). But, with level of saturated distortion they were using for the tracks in question, the amp is basically a square wave generator. I can see why the EQ of the IR would swamp the contribution of whatever square wave generator you use in front of it. I think the dynamics & feel of clean to breakup type tones are a much better test. YMMV. :)

Reactions: sam
On another note, I'm amazed at how much action the venerable Tube Screamer gets. In *every* genre of music. I would never have guessed that even these heavy rock tones that Andrew is tracking are using Tube Screamers (real or virtual) in front of the totally saturated amps.

Back
Top Bottom