Software FracPad III - iOS/Android/Mac/Win Editor for the Axe-Fx II/XL/XL+, AX8/FX8, Axe-Fx III and FM3/FM9

Third party software for Fractal Audio products.
I'm having an issue with getting my Samsung S5/Android device to reliably connect to my Axe/FX II. I've been discussing this with Alex via email but I thought I'd post it here too to see if anyone else has any insight. The issue seems to me to be an issue with Android & the Axe/FX not necessarily with Fracpad but since that's what usually uses the connection, it's what shows up the issue, which is:

Often (not always and I can't seem to nail down the pattern) when the S5 is connected to the Axe via USB/OTG, Android fails to recognize and present the axefx MIDI port so neither Fracpad nor any other app will list it or be able to access it. Fracpad just sits there waiting for the axefx MIDI device to become available and nothing I do with the S5 seems to make it connect. What will allow a connection is if I unplug the S5 and connect a different device, for example my Samsung Tab2 running Cyanogenmod. Once the Tab2 shows the axefx driver and Fracpad can connect on that device, if I reconnect the S5, the axefx MIDI device "magically" appears and all is well however nothing I have tried using ONLY the S5 seems to be able to correct the situation when the afefx MIDI drive is initially not found.

I have tried rebooting one or both the S5 and the Axe/FX and just about anything that can be done from the S5 including uninstalling/reinstalling Fracpad, force stopping running apps, changing USB parms in Developer Options. I've also tried different USB cables and OTG adapters without observing any change in behavior.

The S5 is the perfect size to be mounted on my FCB1010 at gigs. When connected successfully to the Axe/Fx and running Fracpad, it works flawlessly and I use it to display the patch names called up by the FCB so I don't have to remember what FBC patch #3 is or run over to the backline and look at the Axe/Fx's LCD. With the setup stress at gigs though, I need to be able to RELIABLY and easily connect the S5 so that Fracpad works every time. There will be no time for onstage debugging (I also have a keyboard rig to connect!).

Has anyone seen a similar situation and found a quick and easy workaround?

Last edited:
I've experienced similar issues. My S5 doesn't play well with FracPad. My S7 works just fine.

And that's a pity. When i switch my phone service over to the S7, I'd like to mount my S5 to my guitar, and use FracPad to turn it into sort of a Kaos Pad.

I did some connection tests with my Android devices, Axe/FX II, and Fracpad v1.11 last night. Something is definitely weird about the S5-axefx connection. It never seems to get the bootstrap file or prompts to allow apps to access the MIDI device. I suspect there's an Android configuration issue but I can't figure out what it is. I seemed to stumble onto something (changed the USB config in Developer Options to default to MTP) and made it work on its own once but was unable to do it again. What I was able to get to work reliably is first attaching my Tab2 to the Axe/Fx and launching Fracpad. It will load the bootstrap file and connect as it should. Then I get out of the app and transfer the cable to the S5 (which has its own OTG adapter) and launch Fracpad. I still never see the bootstrap load msg or MIDI prompts but the axefx MIDI device is immediately recognized and Fracpad connects and works as expected. If I reboot everything and try to connect the S5 without first connecting the Tab2 the S5 again fails to connect. I found rebooting everything and connecting the Tab2 then S5 always worked. I have no idea why. Maybe Alex can weigh in when he get back from the beach.

Reactions: Rex
I did some connection tests with my Android devices, Axe/FX II, and Fracpad v1.11 last night. Something is definitely weird about the S5-axefx connection. It never seems to get the bootstrap file or prompts to allow apps to access the MIDI device. I suspect there's an Android configuration issue but I can't figure out what it is. I seemed to stumble onto something (changed the USB config in Developer Options to default to MTP) and made it work on its own once but was unable to do it again. What I was able to get to work reliably is first attaching my Tab2 to the Axe/Fx and launching Fracpad. It will load the bootstrap file and connect as it should. Then I get out of the app and transfer the cable to the S5 (which has its own OTG adapter) and launch Fracpad. I still never see the bootstrap load msg or MIDI prompts but the axefx MIDI device is immediately recognized and Fracpad connects and works as expected. If I reboot everything and try to connect the S5 without first connecting the Tab2 the S5 again fails to connect. I found rebooting everything and connecting the Tab2 then S5 always worked. I have no idea why. Maybe Alex can weigh in when he get back from the beach.
Unfortunately i'm not coming back ever ;)
Your s5 has a problem, i had a s5 for months and it worked perfectly with FracPad... Did you try to reinitialize it? Which android version is it running?

I had this working with Axe FX II and the Yamaha BT? Will the bluetooth not work with the AX8? It has found the Yamaha device but says nothing is connected...

Unfortunately i'm not coming back ever ;)
Your s5 has a problem, i had a s5 for months and it worked perfectly with FracPad... Did you try to reinitialize it? Which android version is it running?

I don't blame you at all. :-D

I have not reinitialized it yet. I have to get a full backup first. I think it's running Android 6 but will have to check when I get home. Lineage would be overkill. CM was great for the old Tab2 and made it useful again but the S5 shouldn't old enough to need it. For now, I'll use the switcheroo methodology until I can figure out what is wrong with the OS on that phone.

I've just started using this wirelessly with the AX8 and Axe II. Bravo! This made life so much better for me. Being able to stand back at a distance (with iPad) easily hooked up and fine tune a sound at volume is fantastic! Versus rigging a LT or whatever. Great job Al! The UI is very easy to use too. Well done!

I think I found a bug though. I was attempting to use the built in block library, and when I try loading from a saved block (from library on iPad), it crashes the program every time. Any thoughts on that Al?

I've just started using this wirelessly with the AX8 and Axe II. Bravo! This made life so much better for me. Being able to stand back at a distance (with iPad) easily hooked up and fine tune a sound at volume is fantastic! Versus rigging a LT or whatever. Great job Al! The UI is very easy to use too. Well done!

I think I found a bug though. I was attempting to use the built in block library, and when I try loading from a saved block (from library on iPad), it crashes the program every time. Any thoughts on that Al?
I couldn't reproduce the problem on my desktop, i'll need more time to test on iPad

FracPad 1.12 is released !

- Supports FX8 blocks editing and routing
- Adds OCD mode. In this mode value entry are always integer values
- Enhances memory consumption
- Fixes Android freeze when trying to exit and the app is pinned
- Fixes Android 7.1.1 compatibility

Please note the iOS demo version doesn't support FX8 yet (it's still a 1.10 code base)
The Android demo and the Mac/Win free versions are 1.12 based

I couldn't reproduce the problem on my desktop, i'll need more time to test on iPad

Hi Al. I'm having the same issue as PaulinFL. Fracpad consistently crashes when trying to access the block library. AxeFX II Mk 1, Q8.02, iPad Pro 10.5

Also, fantastic job with this program. I've been a front-panel guy since my Ultra but this might be my go-to editing method now. Bravo!

Hi Al. I'm having the same issue as PaulinFL. Fracpad consistently crashes when trying to access the block library. AxeFX II Mk 1, Q8.02, iPad Pro 10.5

Also, fantastic job with this program. I've been a front-panel guy since my Ultra but this might be my go-to editing method now. Bravo!
Issue confirmed. It's a framework bug, i'll have to find a workaround :/

It appears the Yamaha UD-BT01 and md-bt01 are having issues with iOS 11 (not a fracpad bug, probably Apple)
So don't upgrade to ios11 if you need wireless operating

Back
Top Bottom