FM9 Firmware Version 8.00 public beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been running it 2-4 hours a day at home, and have done 3 gigs with it with zero issues. I’ve always been a firm no gigs in beta person as well, but my setup is simple and I have a backup device of a different brand.
+1 I have been running the beta since release without any issues, several full bands practices for a few hours and a few solo practice sessions

No problems at all, so tomorrow I'm going to try gigging it on a big stage. Fingers crossed - but I feel confident as I've used a couple of my staple presets heavily (including editing on MacBook and the unit itself) without a single blip!

switching presets while changing amp settings has gotten me some perma freeze ups. It's not consistantly but it has been 3 times

Been using FM3 and FM9 almost 3 years now. Almost every update I can't tell...because it always sounds better than I expect; than anything I have ever played real or modeled. I think 25 years of playing so much crap gear and so few great tones I temper my expectations so much I still can't believe how awesome Fractal sounds. I think the honeymoon is long over and this is real love.

Cheers!

I have been rehearsing and gigging this firmware since it came out with zero issues - sounds killer in my view. Here's a Facebook link to a video clip from last weekend's gig. This preset is the Marshall SLP, a GB 4x12 dynacab, and a reverb - super simple signal chain.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/H9r65QwpcN4p76kp/
Love that you're so faithful to the original, sounds great :D

First beta bug, i think, got me at practice - one of the footswitches stopped responding. Never seen this before. I had it set to Delay. The delay would turn on and off as scenes changed it, but the assigned footswitch stopped triggering any on/off.

I made no tweaks to delay or the scene during practice fwiw. A simple reboot cleared it. Not a mechanical issue, which would've been way more annoying! I've been using this same preset for the last two firmwares so there's nothing crazy going on, and it's not high CPU either, ~60%

Its a beta so no complaints. Look forward to full version.

Pretty sure something is up with the way the beta firmware is loading Dynacab blocks that I've saved to my block library. They are coming up with the wrong cabs when I load them.

Here is the block that was saved in FM9 Edit back in May before the beta, copied over into my FM3 block library and loaded into my FM3 without the beta firmware or new Dynacab definitions, and it loads correctly:
1722392408446.png

Here's that same exact block file, again, originally saved by FM9 Edit before the beta, loaded into my FM9 in 8.0 b1, and it is very, very wrong:

1722392546040.png

This isn't happening for all of my cab blocks that I've saved to the library. Some of them are coming up just fine and some of them are coming up different between the two units.

I'm also pretty sure that something is up with the wah block. I always use the Cry Babe and my presets were saved with that before the beta was loaded. When I load them now after the beta, the Clyde is selected.

And before anyone says it: yes, I did the RANF.

Pretty sure something is up with the way the beta firmware is loading Dynacab blocks that I've saved to my block library. They are coming up with the wrong cabs when I load them.

Here is the block that was saved in FM9 Edit back in May before the beta, copied over into my FM3 block library and loaded into my FM3 without the beta firmware or new Dynacab definitions, and it loads correctly:
View attachment 143405

Here's that same exact block file, again, originally saved by FM9 Edit before the beta, loaded into my FM9 in 8.0 b1, and it is very, very wrong:

View attachment 143406

This isn't happening for all of my cab blocks that I've saved to the library. Some of them are coming up just fine and some of them are coming up different between the two units.
That's not a firmware issue, it's an editor issue.

It's just been fixed in Axe-Edit III so I would suspect it will be coming soon for FM9-Edit.

I'm also pretty sure that something is up with the wah block. I always use the Cry Babe and my presets were saved with that before the beta was loaded. When I load them now after the beta, the Clyde is selected.

And before anyone says it: yes, I did the RANF.
Check from the front panel and see if it's only the editor...

Hi all. I’m a FM9 newbie, although I used an fm9 for a two month tour this summer and am loving it. Sonically, the update is great and I applaud the Fractal team for striving for perfection.
I have two units so I put the beta on one and kept 7.0 on the backup unit. I’m not great with the sonic adjectives, but IMO there is more clarity throughout the frequency range and improved dynamics. I guess you could compare it to looking at two TVs and one seems a bit sharper, in a pleasing way, not sterile.
All of my 7.0 patches loaded up w no problem. I’m playing a gig tomorrow at Caesars in Vegas, gonna run the 8.0.

Last edited:
First beta bug, i think, got me at practice - one of the footswitches stopped responding. Never seen this before. I had it set to Delay. The delay would turn on and off as scenes changed it, but the assigned footswitch stopped triggering any on/off.

I made no tweaks to delay or the scene during practice fwiw. A simple reboot cleared it. Not a mechanical issue, which would've been way more annoying! I've been using this same preset for the last two firmwares so there's nothing crazy going on, and it's not high CPU either, ~60%

Its a beta so no complaints. Look forward to full version.
This happened to me during a gig last week. But hasn't happened since.

I broke my FM9! Fixed it though.

I updated the Dyna Cabs first, it asked to reboot, so I did. It gave me a warning after boot that the Dyna Cab version was now incorrect, fine, that made sense.

I then pushed the new firmware to the device. The FM9 still had that version warning on the screen while I was sending the data. When the bot said it was finished, I rebooted the FM9. This left me with a white screen on the FM9 every time I tried to boot it.

I was able to fix this by booting while holding the two page buttons to get into recovery mode, and then sending the new firmware again.

I imagine if I'd updated the firmware first I'd have avoided this mistake.
I did the exact same thing! Was freaking out just now haha. Your comment saved the day. Thank you!

Is there any update on when to expect the official release of this firmware? It seems like this has been in Beta 1 for a long time. I searched the forums and saw that there were some new private betas but not much else. Maybe I missed something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom