FM9 Firmware Version 2.0 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. This is my first comment here. I recieved my Fm9 few days ago and I already created several presets for my playlist. I am a Mesa Mk5 guy since forever, and im very satisfied with the Fractal quality, especially as a live/rehearsal solution that gives a great quality and saves my back from carrying 30k to every rehearsal and concert.

I have updated the editor, it became very slow, I returned back to the previous version. I have Asus PC core i7 8g RAM. Anyone had it going slower too? Any advice? Many thanks

Fantastic update....as always, worth the wait indeed ...aside from the many impressive new additions, and fixes, anytime the amp modeling gets a tweak I go crazy...most excellent. Thanks everyone there at FAS....!

I just loaded up the new firmware and editor and am finding the newest FM9-Edit updates and overall response to have slowed to a crawl.

Initiating any command in FM9-Edit (Scene change, Preset change, etc.) takes about a minute to actually execute the command.

After that FM9-Edit becomes more responsive but is still laggy.

Switching to a new preset, or doing a preset revert, slows FM9-Edit back to a crawl once again. Changes made in FM9-Edit will take another minute or so to execute.

Block status (bypassed/unbypassed), types (amp/cab/fx types in all channels), and settings are not updating upon switching to a new preset, reverting a preset, etc. The amp block Headroom, compressor block gain, LFO controls of parameters, etc. are all very sluggish to update.

The FM9 itself is responding ok to changes via the unit itself, but changes made on the FM9 are not reflected back to FM9-Edit for a long time (if they even do).

In short, my FM9-Edit is lagging and pretty much unresponsive.

I hard rebooted everything with no improvement. I played the FM9 used FM9-Edit for a couple of hours earlier today (before upgrading to the latest beta firmware/FM9-Edit) and it was running fine.

Windows 10

EDIT:

This seems CPU (and/or Pitch block) related; my main preset was running ~78% (which wasn't a problem before); I copied it to another slot, shunted the Drive block, and with the CPU at ~72% upon arriving on that preset FM9-Edit is quicker but still a bit laggy (scene changes slow, control edits are choppy and have audio glitches, etc.) as compared to the previous firmware/FM9-Edit.

However, if I remove the Pitch block to get the CPU down to the same ~%72 FM9-Edit responds noticeably faster, with scenes switching quicker and the control edits respond smoothly with less, or no, audio glitching.

FWIW I just tried changing USB ports with no improvement.

EDIT EDIT:

This seems to be definitely related to the Pitch block; the only way I can get FM9-Edit to respond and update in real time is by removing the Pitch block. Intializing the Pitch block channels doesn't help. I've been removing other blocks, etc. and it's only when I delete the Pitch block that things go back to normal.
Im having this latency too and i still havnt try the pitch block. Most of my presets are 70-80% cpu. But im not willing for now to remove anything from them. I returned to the editors previous version it looks like it got better.

Im having this latency too and i still havnt try the pitch block. Most of my presets are 70-80% cpu. But im not willing for now to remove anything from them. I returned to the editors previous version it looks like it got better.
Are you using windows or Mac on that editor?

I had trouble uploading the firmware. Fractal Bot stopped in the middle of it three different times before it worked. I might go back to back FW 1
if in windows (assuming) make sure you don't have any other usb devices connected I'd say, if it were me, I'd be sure no applications were opened too then try again you might want to make sure you don't other activities while updating I don't think sc can handle that.

I'll say that I've never gotten along with digital versions of compressors. I've liked real compressor pedals but not in the Helix or the previous firmware on FM9. Seems like I couldn't get them to add sustain well. I'm EXTREAMLY happy with these new ones though! I'm going to start using them in my patches. :)
Try the multiband compressor fx block also, great tool

I just loaded this gem of a firmware and not only does it sound fantastic , on my blazing fast M1 Max MacBook Pro at least, the new FM9 Edit works great with very little lag...with the added bonus that for the first time in many months, an FAS editor seems to have fixed the UI issue with multiple monitors on my Macs that disallowed resizing the editor window in the second monitor....if this is indeed an AI improvement....please bring it to AxeEdit as well!
edit..............perhaps I was way premature in my assessment on theFM9 Edit lag thing. ....

Last edited:
I always have a pitch block but even if I try to load an EMPTY preset, it doesn't work half the time. Restart edit software then it works. Rolling back now

Ok....was just curious that if you removed the Pitch block from your preset(s) if FM9-Edit returned to normal operation like it did when I removed it on mine.

No worries I'm sure this will all get sorted out; I'm going to stay with v2.00-beta since it has modeling improvements which is always the most desirable thing for me (as well as the numerous quality-of-life and other improvements/fixes). I also don't mind exercising the beta firmware to find other possible issues, etc.

I find editing on the unit itself to be very easy and efficient, so I can live without FM9-Edit for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom