FM9 Firmware Version 2.0 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same issue I ran into. I didn’t try the other outs, which I maybe should have done just to lend some extra info. One of the times I tried loading 2.0 it would work sometimes I turned it on and then stop again when restarting, but the final time I got it working I turned it on/off 4-5 times to see if I could recreate it and it worked fine each time.
Did you actually try a shorter USB cable? I can't recall where, but Fractal does say not to use one longer than 5m. I'd do it again, just in case something isn't quite right (that's not currently showing up.) Just my 2 cents.

upgraded both edit and the unit. I'm getting intermittent issues when trying to select a new preset on Edit. Sometimes changes presets. Sometimes doesn't. If I restart Edit it seems to work then stops. Huge latency regardless
Also consider a powered USB hub for connecting USB peripherals. I use an 11-port hub with 4 powered USB-A ports, the remaining, non-powered USB-A. The powered ports are used for my rechargeable keyboard, and my phone earpiece.

Sometimes your computer won't transfer data quickly enough with a non-powered connection. IIRC, my hub was about $34 from amazon, the Atello 11-port model.

Likewise, if you own an external hard drive, be sure you plug correct plug into the powered hub with the correct adapter into the correct computer port. The hub connects via USB-A, but required a USB-A/USB-C adapter. My Mac wouldn't recognize my external HD until the hub adapter was plugged into the correct computer port.

Last edited:
Also consider a powered USB hub for connecting USB peripherals. I use an 11-port hub with 4 powered USB-A ports, the remaining, non-powered USB-A. The powered ports are used for my rechargeable keyboard, and my phone earpiece.

Sometimes your computer won't transfer data quickly enough with a non-powered connection. IIRC, my hub was about $34 from amazon, the Atello 11-port model.

Likewise, if you own an external hard drive, be sure you plug correct plug into the powered hub with the correct adapter into the correct computer port. The hub connects via USB-A, but required a USB-A/USB-C adapter. My Mac wouldn't recognize my external HD until the hub adapter was plugged into the correct computer port.
you must be replying to the wrong person. everything works on version 1 perfectly.

Did you actually try a shorter USB cable? I can't recall where, but Fractal does say not to use one longer than 5m. I'd do it again, just in case something isn't quite right (that's not currently showing up.) Just my 2 cents.

Hahahaha I grabbed the USB cable from my III and used that, not really paying attention to it’s length. When I disconnected everything I realized it’s also a 20ft USB cable. :D

Whatever the case, it still fired up 5-6x in a row without issue after the last time I installed the beta. We’ll see when I get home in a few if it’s still good to go.

I don't have a DigiTech peddle to compare but I can say I just checked out strums, picking and finger style on the virtual capo and its tight, 0 artifacts even at -4+ steps, cant imagine it not being better than DT peddle, there is a hair of delay in lower range but I'm guessing thats normal for effect like this. btw I'm using a instrument cable so no additional lag in the chain. Its cool and its much better than it was in my FM3 thats for sure.

I've had the VC go down as far as E from Ab on my 7 string as a curiosity test and I would say that was pushing the reasonable limits of it. It was tracking ~OK but I did have a slight sense of latency. It was an extreme test but anything from 2 whole steps either way starting from E to C is absolutely fine to my ear.

I had trouble uploading the firmware. Fractal Bot stopped in the middle of it three different times before it worked. I might go back to back FW 1

I had trouble uploading the firmware. Fractal Bot stopped in the middle of it three different times before it worked. I might go back to back FW 1
Which version of Fractal-Bot? The version embedded in Edit or the standalone? If you updated Edit to the new version then you have the latest version of Fractal-Bot otherwise it's a separate download.

The USB spec says:
  • The USB 1.1 standard specifies that a standard cable can have a maximum length of 5 meters (16 ft 5 in) with devices operating at full speed (12 Mbit/s), and a maximum length of 3 meters (9 ft 10 in) with devices operating at low speed (1.5 Mbit/s).[86][87][88]
  • USB 2.0 provides for a maximum cable length of 5 meters (16 ft 5 in) for devices running at high speed (480 Mbit/s).[88]
  • The USB 3.0 standard does not directly specify a maximum cable length, requiring only that all cables meet an electrical specification: for copper cabling with AWG 26 wires the maximum practical length is 3 meters (9 ft 10 in).
So, 3 meters is the safe choice, but 5 meters usually works.

Would you say it stacks well against the Digitech Drop? I'm on the FM3 - holding my breath for this update coming to that unit too.
So far I prefer the VC to the Digitech Drop. Tone wise I think the VC sounds slightly better and less artificial, not that the Drop was bad. Lateceny-wise it feels like the VC responds faster than the Drop, which is quite impressive. I'm going to try it out tomorrow at practice at gig volumes to reach the final verdict.

FWIW I loaded v2.00-beta with the latest version of Fractal-Bot standalone on Windows 10 without any issue the first attempt.

I then rebooted the FM9, started the newly updated/latest FM9-Edit for the first time, let it update the block definitions, and immediately found the lagging issues I described above here.

upgraded both edit and the unit. I'm getting intermittent issues when trying to select a new preset on Edit. Sometimes changes presets. Sometimes doesn't. If I restart Edit it seems to work then stops. Huge latency regardless

Do you have a Pitch block in your preset(s)?

Last edited:
FWIW I loaded v2.00-beta with the latest version of Fractal-Bot standalone on Windows 10 without any issue the first attempt.

I then rebooted the FM9, started the newly updated/latest FM9-Edit for the first time, let it update the block definitions, and immediately found the lagging issues I described above here.

Do you have a Pitch block in your preset(s)?
I always have a pitch block but even if I try to load an EMPTY preset, it doesn't work half the time. Restart edit software then it works. Rolling back now

I had a chance to finally play the new compressors with my tele at a reasonable volume and to me they’re much improved in feel to the point I can ditch my compressor pedals.

I was thinking of keeping a small pedalboard just in case but with this update I don’t need to. Even if I want/have to play through a real amp I can use the FM9 as an effects unit now. It’s the size of a small pedalboard anyway.

Good job.

you must be replying to the wrong person. everything works on version 1 perfectly.

No,
I was originally quoting your response at the top of this page, and read the post following yours. The reason for my powered hub suggestion was that you CAN use a longer USB cable, just so the cable is ported through a powered hub. What FAS suggests about limiting the cable length to 5m is for non-powered cables. The powered hub solves that problem.

That’s encouraging, thank you! I’ll probably wait a little bit longer to install, but I’ll A/B it with my FM3 when I do. Would be great for that one to trickle down to the FM3!
Right, my guess is it will trickle down, the new release is really strong, FAS buttery amp model is exceptional imo and my new favorite amp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom