FM3 Firmware Version 9.00

As I understand it, the memory used by Dyna-Cabs was reserved for future use and not used by the system in previous versions of the firmware. Reverting to an older firmware won’t purge the cabs/uninstall them or release the memory.

Pre Dyna-Cab versions of the firmware don’t look for the cabs so they won’t say whether the cabs exist in memory. And Dyna-Cab-aware versions will see they exist and not complain until the installed Dyna-Cabs are stale according to the firmware, then it will complain and want its related cabs.

So, basically, there’s nothing of benefit by trying to purge the memory. installing fw9b1 over the latest fw8.x essentially wiped or made invisible the latest fw8
Perhaps the memory isn't purged, however the steps in my post at minimum make the fw8.x Dyna-Cabs invisible to fw9.b1 thru fw9.x, as they all push a dialog stating that the Dyna-Cabs aren't loaded, and once you exit that dialog my presets without a cab block all work fine.

Again, perhaps Fractal will chime in on the specifics?

NOTE: Important, I don't use the cab block preferring instead a Two Notes Torpedo CAB for 2048 point Dyn-IR's like the FM9/AFX3 provide, plus room/reverb and EQ with a roughly 20% CPU +- savings, and the Cab Block doesn't work in fw9.x without the expected Dyna-Cabs loaded.

Last edited:
Perhaps the memory isn't purged, however the steps in my post at minimum make the fw8.x Dyna-Cabs invisible to fw9.b1 thru fw9.x, as they all push a dialog stating that the Dyna-Cabs aren't loaded, and once you exit that dialog my presets without a cab block all work fine.

Again, perhaps Fractal will chime in on the specifics?

NOTE: Important, I don't use the cab block preferring instead a Two Notes Torpedo CAB for 2048 point Dyn-IR's like the FM9/AFX3 provide, plus room/reverb and EQ with a roughly 20% CPU +- savings, and the Cab Block doesn't work in fw9.x without the expected Dyna-Cabs loaded.

Maybe one of these days FAS will give us an option to disable the Dynacabs. It would be useful to those that don’t use them.

That Two Notes Torpedo seems like a nice option for the FM3, especially for me cause I have the original non turbo. I never looked at this before. Now I want one. It took me awhile to warm up to Dynacabs but I am using the Stealth cabs now. So I gotta ask, is it a lot better or marginally better sounding like going from standard IR’s to Ultrares? Not sure I’d offload reverb if I had one of these. I need reverb with switchable levels or on a exp pedal. It’s not clear if the Two Notes can do that.

Maybe one of these days FAS will give us an option to disable the Dynacabs. It would be useful to those that don’t use them.

That Two Notes Torpedo seems like a nice option for the FM3, especially for me cause I have the original non turbo. I never looked at this before. Now I want one. It took me awhile to warm up to Dynacabs but I am using the Stealth cabs now. So I gotta ask, is it a lot better or marginally better sounding like going from standard IR’s to Ultrares? Not sure I’d offload reverb if I had one of these. I need reverb with switchable levels or on a exp pedal. It’s not clear if the Two Notes can do that.
There is a noticeable difference between "Standard" 1024 point IR's and "Hi Rez" 2048 point IR's (Ultra Rez IR's are different, and longer yet with a decimated tail). I prefer IR's at 2048 points if they're recorded well, otherwise 1024 point IR's work better if they're not. The Torpedo CAB's cab sim is a mature product with a lot more cabs/mics available at this point in time, and it gives you 1 cab, 2 mics, mono room sim/reverb, EQ, IR loader, and generic tube power amp sims which I'm not using with the FM3, though I do use them with tube preamps.

Again, I do this primarily for the CPU savings as I use the CAB's room/reverb (which is the major CPU saver...), along with the FM3's Multi-Delay's mono diffuser for general ambience, and together they work fine for live use. The CAB's reverb in no way compares to the Fractal reverb, so if a heavy reverb user then the CAB won't replace your Fractal reverb, but for live I'm a light reverb user who relies more on delays, so the CAB's reverb mixed with the Multi-Delay's mono diffusor gets the job done.

BTW, I'm using the OG Torpedo CAB which is powered via the FASLink connector.

I'm also hoping for a dyna-cab load control or bypass feature at some point, but there is a work around now if using an external cab sim and desiring the quicker boot time.

Last edited:
There is a noticeable difference between "Standard" 1024 point IR's and "Hi Rez" 2048 point IR's (Ultra Rez IR's are different, and longer yet with a decimated tail). I prefer IR's at 2048 points if they're recorded well, otherwise 1024 point IR's work better if they're not. The Torpedo CAB's cab sim is a mature product with a lot more cabs/mics available at this point in time, and it gives you 1 cab, 2 mics, mono room sim/reverb, EQ, IR loader, and generic tube power amp sims which I'm not using with the FM3, though I do use them with tube preamps.

Again, I do this primarily for the CPU savings as I use the CAB's room/reverb (which is the major CPU saver...), along with the FM3's Multi-Delay's mono diffuser for general ambience, and together they work fine for live use. The CAB's reverb in no way compares to the Fractal reverb, so if a heavy reverb user then the CAB won't replace your Fractal reverb, but for live I'm a light reverb user who relies more on delays, so the CAB's reverb mixed with the Multi-Delay's mono diffusor gets the job done.

BTW, I'm using the OG Torpedo CAB which is powered via the FASLink connector.

I'm also hoping for a dyna-cab load control or bypass feature at some point but there is a work around now if using an external cab sim and desiring the quicker boot time.
Thanks for the info! I might pick one of these up before long. Apologies guys for the derail, now back to the FW release. Going to get in some late night guitar time.

Actually came from FW7 and the lack of punch for clean sounds in this FW9 is bothering me a lot. Plex 1987x is a disaster. No problem with distorted sounds but it all seems flatter, less dynamics. Some air on the cab brings some relief but not to my expectations for the time being. Will do a new install, if nothing gets better I'm back to 7 tomorrow.
I lacked clean "dynamics" in the beta9, I messed a little with Power tube hardness, gain and tremble till I reached a crystall-er sond, with a bit of punch and grind, like and old twin. I feel FW9 more tubey than ever, the plexi are better than previous FW and hi-gain breath and snarl.

lacked clean "dynamics" in the beta9, I messed a little with Power tube hardness, gain and tremble
What about MV? With each release my MV levels seems to down. I used them quite high to get that "instant" response, but clarity was the tax. Now the response is there even with low MV levels, and sounds are articulate and punchy.

What about MV? With each release my MV levels seems to down. I used them quite high to get that "instant" response, but clarity was the tax. Now the response is there even with low MV levels, and sounds are articulate and punchy.
I love non master volume amps, and I use mostly them (with OD block to add distortion). So for me gain is the way to go for controll both preamp and poweramp. I do hear that FW9 sound better, punchier, a little more compressed but in the right way (each string sound with more... autority!), I don't investigate on MW levels!

Unbelievably amazing!!!! Sounds so damn good!

Thank you, FAS!
Excited Ric Flair GIF

Hello,

I've just installed Firmware version 9.0 and well I can say that it's a real piece of shit !!! Since it was installed, all my scenes that were at 79/80% CPU have gone down to 85% or even 86% CPU and now the FM3 is blocking the sounds. I'm totaly disgusted !!! How on earth can you release such versions of awsone firmware like this one !!! For God's sake, do something at Fractal to IMPROVE things and not make them complicated!!! it gets tedious in the end!!!
You claim to make professional appliances but with crap like this it's intolerable !!!!
I am totaly disgusted !!!!
This is certainly not the way to get help.

What firmware were you on previously?

Nobody else is really reporting such CPU increases which makes me think maybe you came from a much older version...

I successfully downloaded version 9.00 today. However, when I tried to download the new Dyna-Cabs for version 9.00 my computer kept generating Fractal-Bot windows.

I had to shut down and reboot. After that, Fractal-Bot opened properly but it will not prompt me to download Dyna-Cabs again. Fractal-Bot shows that it’s connected to version 9.00 but, again, I cannot download the cabs.

When I turn on my FM3, I get a red message that the Dyna-Cabs for 9.00 are not installed. Whether I hit “Exit” to cancel or not, I cannot find the cabs download.

Help anyone? Thanks

-- PS, if I need to uninstall Firmware 9.00 and restart the process can someone please explain how to do the uninstall?

Hello,

I've just installed Firmware version 9.0 and well I can say that it's a real piece of shit !!! Since it was installed, all my scenes that were at 79/80% CPU have gone down to 85% or even 86% CPU and now the FM3 is blocking the sounds. I'm totaly disgusted !!! How on earth can you release such versions of awsone firmware like this one !!! For God's sake, do something at Fractal to IMPROVE things and not make them complicated!!! it gets tedious in the end!!!
You claim to make professional appliances but with crap like this it's intolerable !!!!
I am totaly disgusted !!!!
IMG_2131.gif

I remark it was the 1rst Preset 000 => Fractal add 5 % of CPU Firmware 9.0 than the original (80% of CPU in Firmware 8.00). I don't understand. why add 5% of CPU there aren't enough CPUs on this ridoculous pedal !!!
Factory preset?

Are you using the latest version of the factory presets?

Are you using a standard or Turbo model?

They didn't "add 5%". There are changes that can consume more CPU, the firmware doesn't know what a preset contains until it is loaded. Firmware also doesn't include or update presets.

If you continue to include unnecessary derogatory comments about the product, I'm not going to continue offering help. It adds nothing...

Respond like an adult that understands he's using a complex piece of equipment and I'll continue to reply.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom