FM3 Firmware Version 9.00

Installed and working great here.

And regarding CPU, I don't see any increases. If anything, it seems like they are the same or a touch lower. I am running with a FM Turbo and here is one of my more intensive patches. Including ultra-res cabs.
fw9.png

I successfully downloaded version 9.00 today. However, when I tried to download the new Dyna-Cabs for version 9.00 my computer kept generating Fractal-Bot windows.

I had to shut down and reboot. After that, Fractal-Bot opened properly but it will not prompt me to download Dyna-Cabs again. Fractal-Bot shows that it’s connected to version 9.00 but, again, I cannot download the cabs.

When I turn on my FM3, I get a red message that the Dyna-Cabs for 9.00 are not installed. Whether I hit “Exit” to cancel or not, I cannot find the cabs download.

Help anyone? Thanks

-- PS, if I need to uninstall Firmware 9.00 and restart the process can someone please explain how to do the uninstall?
Download the firmware update zip from the forum. You'll see a couple .syx files, one for firmware one for dynacabs. Just use fractal bot to load the dynacabs file.

I did the same thing you did when updating.

There is a noticeable difference between "Standard" 1024 point IR's and "Hi Rez" 2048 point IR's (Ultra Rez IR's are different, and longer yet with a decimated tail). I prefer IR's at 2048 points if they're recorded well, otherwise 1024 point IR's work better if they're not. The Torpedo CAB's cab sim is a mature product with a lot more cabs/mics available at this point in time, and it gives you 1 cab, 2 mics, mono room sim/reverb, EQ, IR loader, and generic tube power amp sims which I'm not using with the FM3, though I do use them with tube preamps.

Again, I do this primarily for the CPU savings as I use the CAB's room/reverb (which is the major CPU saver...), along with the FM3's Multi-Delay's mono diffuser for general ambience, and together they work fine for live use. The CAB's reverb in no way compares to the Fractal reverb, so if a heavy reverb user then the CAB won't replace your Fractal reverb, but for live I'm a light reverb user who relies more on delays, so the CAB's reverb mixed with the Multi-Delay's mono diffusor gets the job done.

BTW, I'm using the OG Torpedo CAB which is powered via the FASLink connector.

I'm also hoping for a dyna-cab load control or bypass feature at some point but there is a work around now if using an external cab sim and desiring the quicker boot time.
I also have a non turbo FM3. Can you give a brief explanation of what the Torpedo does and how it fits in with the FM3? Does it replace the CAB block? Also, for my tube amp, what does it do that the amp and speakers don't do? Thanks and sorry for a dumb question. I am on the Torpedo site but still a bit confused as to what it is and what it does.

Loaded 9.0 last night with no issues. Friedman BE amps are sounding much better. I'm using OH EDVH M20 cab irs with the 5150 Stealth curve in the amp block.
Going LIVE and LOUD tonight! THANKS FAS!

I had DCs installed when upgrading to v9 and got the warning message they weren't installed.
That occurs when additional cabs are added to the distribution, and the firmware knows, either by looking at an internal Dyna-Cab version number or by checking/counting bytes or some other internal check.

Download the firmware update zip from the forum. You'll see a couple .syx files, one for firmware one for dynacabs. Just use fractal bot to load the dynacabs file.

I did the same thing you did when updating.
Thanks -- I fixed the issue by doing an emergency uninstall. That put the device back to FW 1.00. I then dragged and dropped the FW 9.00 into Fractal Bot and loaded that. Then I had to drag in Dyna-Cab version 7.00 because FW 9.00 won't without Dyna cabs. After I had older Dyna-Cabs loaded in, I was able to load the Dyna-Cabs 9.00. :)

I lacked clean "dynamics" in the beta9, I messed a little with Power tube hardness, gain and tremble till I reached a crystall-er sond, with a bit of punch and grind, like and old twin. I feel FW9 more tubey than ever, the plexi are better than previous FW and hi-gain breath and snarl.
For.the time being my patches sound as before and that's OK for me, I don't like to tweak too much with the deeper parameters nowadays. In the days of the Ultra it was necessary to get correct clean sounds but since FW7 of axe fx II somehow I didn't need to anymore. The advantage is that after Amp resets you have less work, usually.

I also have a non turbo FM3. Can you give a brief explanation of what the Torpedo does and how it fits in with the FM3? Does it replace the CAB block? Also, for my tube amp, what does it do that the amp and speakers don't do? Thanks and sorry for a dumb question. I am on the Torpedo site but still a bit confused as to what it is and what it does.
This is not the Torpedo CAB thread, though in my case with the old Torpedo CAB it just provides cab, mic(s), room/reverb, generic tube power amp sims, EQ and static IR loader, so yes, in my case it replaces the cab and reverb blocks plus an EQ block, which creates the CPU savings there by extending my old non-turbo FM3 a lot as I use one kitchen sink preset for the whole show (for pristine delay tails and cross-fades, long before gapless was added etc).

Some Torpedos also include a generic reactive load so they can be used with a full tube amp, though mine does not so it's only used with tube preamps, or with an additional load box with full tube amps.

Again people, this isn't the place for Torpedo talk, feel free to PM me instead if needing help understanding the Two Notes stuff with regards to the FM3, noting that Fractal gave the FM3 an FX Loop for a reason. Also, you can find Two Notes on Facebook and Rig Talk.

Last edited:
That occurs when additional cabs are added to the distribution, and the firmware knows, either by looking at an internal Dyna-Cab version number or by checking/counting bytes or some other internal check.
Yes, and that can perhaps be taken advantage of to essentially trick the system. When it doesn't pass the logic check, then the DCs aren't loaded and therefore you get the shorter boot time.

The talk has died down recently but there was a time when several were requesting to be able to uninstall the DCs, not because of a memory concern, but for faster boot times.

As a fellow non-Turbo FM3 user ... I see patch's like this and I am reminded just how much juice a Cab or IR Block uses in terms of CPU cycles !

Ben
That's CAB, EQ, and Reverb Blocks in my case, which on average saves around 20% CPU with reverb in eco mode.

Last edited:
Factory preset?

Are you using the latest version of the factory presets?

Are you using a standard or Turbo model?

They didn't "add 5%". There are changes that can consume more CPU, the firmware doesn't know what a preset contains until it is loaded. Firmware also doesn't include or update presets.

If you continue to include unnecessary derogatory comments about the product, I'm not going to continue offering help. It adds nothing...

Respond like an adult that understands he's using a complex piece of equipment and I'll continue to reply.
Looks like our friend either deleted his account or it was deleted for him?

Since I got some free time, I just updated my non-Turbo FM3 from FW8 to FW9 and factory preset 000 actually dropped from 67% to 64%...

I have all the gapless settings enabled, too.

Edit:

After upgrading all presets, it's about 66.5%... not sure why but it's still lower than before.

Last edited:

Since I got some free time, I just updated my non-Turbo FM3 from FW8 to FW9 and factory preset 000 actually dropped from 67% to 64%...

The insult-slinging felt very troll-ish to me. It was certainly nice of you to try to help, but he wasn't looking for solutions and hopefully sold his unit (if he ever really owned one).

I'll be busy the next few days. I plan to download the firmware, do a full reset on all my presets (about 300) and enter in the original values, which I've already have written down and then plug in check them all out.
Well that was a real pain in the ass. I hope there isn't another firmware update for a good long while. Actually it was worth it. I play through headphones and my presets sound more "open" if that makes sense.

Well that was a real pain in the ass. I hope there isn't another firmware update for a good long while. Actually it was worth it. I play through headphones and my presets sound more "open" if that makes sense.

There is a function whereby you can reset all the amp blocks across just one Preset, across a batch of Presets, or across the whole FM3. This just resets the amp block (all channels), not other blocks, and there is a way to do this without losing your tone and gain settings.

A “soft reset” means that you select another amp type in the AMP block and then re-select the previous amp type again. Or just select the current amp type again in the editor. This is referred to as a "soft reset".

When doing this, the amp model will be loaded again with most of its parameters returned to their default specific settings. It applies to the current amp channel only. The preset needs to be saved afterwards.

Whether the basic gain and tone controls are left untouched, OR also return to default when performing a soft reset, depends on the value of TONE CONTROL DISPLAY in the SETUP > GLOBAL menu:
  • when set to AUTHENTIC: a soft reset will also return Drive and Bass / Middle/ Treble and Level to their default values
  • when set to IDEAL: a soft reset will leave the existing Drive and Bass / Middle/ Treble and Level settings alone
Perhaps the Ideal approach may have helped you @Tonedeaf ?

Here is the link to the info:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...wanted-to-know-about-resetting-an-amp.173317/

I believe this may not be necessary if you're coming from a (very?) recent firmware ... I did it from FW 7 to FW8, and I am pretty sure I did it for FW9.02b. It took about 20 minutes to do every channel in all Presets.

All my presets used to be as close to 80% as I could get it without going over. Over the last couple of releases it has went down not up. No idea of what that guy was doing wrong and with that attitude I don’t care.

they all push a dialog stating that the Dyna-Cabs aren't loaded, and once you exit that dialog my presets without a cab block all work fine.
That's to be expected. The dialog is to encourage the user to have all the current factory-based Dyna-Cabs installed to ensure full functionality of the Cab block and the modeler. If they're not available the modeler won't really care as the Factory legacy cabs are still installed and available to the Cab block. If the Cab block isn't used inside the preset then there's even less concern that they're not installed.

I agree that having a user option to enable/disable Dyna-Cab loading would be nice, though it only saves ~20 seconds on my FM3-Turbo during loading. There are times that the additional 20 seconds make a difference; Personally it doesn't bother me but my use-case is going to be different than someone else's I'm sure.

Yes I see that with my presets even compared to v9 beta 2. One preset that I use a lot now hovers slightly over 80%. No crash yet

Yes I see that with my presets even compared to v9 beta 2. One preset that I use a lot now hovers slightly over 80%. No crash yet.
Update: no perceived CPU change from previous beta. I was playing around with the looper and saved it in the preset, thus the extra couple %. ID10T error. Every amp I use sounds more realistic. I’m really enjoying this update!

That's to be expected. The dialog is to encourage the user to have all the current factory-based Dyna-Cabs installed to ensure full functionality of the Cab block and the modeler. If they're not available the modeler won't really care as the Factory legacy cabs are still installed and available to the Cab block. If the Cab block isn't used inside the preset then there's even less concern that they're not installed.

I agree that having a user option to enable/disable Dyna-Cab loading would be nice, though it only saves ~20 seconds on my FM3-Turbo during loading. There are times that the additional 20 seconds make a difference; Personally it doesn't bother me but my use-case is going to be different than someone else's I'm sure.
The cab block in doesn't work at all under fw9.0, even in standard IR mode when the dyna-cabs are not installed, as my earlier posts made sure to mention so nobody gets surprised!

Anyone not installing dyna-cabs needs to use an external cab sim at this time.

I've only had one crash on stage, and that extra time booting felt like an eternity LOL! Who knows why, bad power, angry Fractal Gods, but it's so quick without the dyna-cabs installed that I prefer it that way since I don't use them anyway. My show is mostly automated so my FM3 is receiving a lot of MIDI through out the show, however I hold the CPU under 75% to give it a break since it's receiving Scene, Channel, Tempo, and Volume MIDI which also requires CPU overhead.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom