FM3 Firmware Version 9.00

Yes, sometimes they will remove a wart that stands in the way of usability. The rest of them are allowed to shine through.

Here’s a wart that Cliff modeled in the Axe-Fx II eleven years ago...
Well, it's killer work.

And I suspect even the current Deluxe is modeled with warts n all, though I don't have one to compare to

The updates are amazing to read, I would love to see a blind A/B test to hear if there is much a difference. I usually cannot tell. In fact my Fractal from 2011 was a killer tone! :D

I typically only use the Atomica High amp model but it was nicer after the update. A little smoother and thicker sounding plus better feel. I'm kind'a at the point of "It can't get any better". Every time I play somewhere there's always someone that comes up and asks me "how do you get that sound". They always seem to think it's the amp or the guitar or the pickup. Then I point to the FM3 and tell them it's the Fractal. Usually followed by them asking, "What's a Fractal ?".

I typically only use the Atomica High amp model but it was nicer after the update. A little smoother and thicker sounding plus better feel. I'm kind'a at the point of "It can't get any better". Every time I play somewhere there's always someone that comes up and asks me "how do you get that sound". They always seem to think it's the amp or the guitar or the pickup. Then I point to the FM3 and tell them it's the Fractal. Usually followed by them asking, "What's a Fractal ?".
Would you mind sharing your main preset? I'm still struggling to get a satisfying live sound.

Reactions: 621
I play in a Black Sabbath tribute band. Keep in mind, these are high gain presets for a specific purpose. They are also matched to guitars that all have the Tony Iommi Signature pickups.

I have 4 different presets depending on the rig I use. I usually use a tube power amp through a 2x12 guitar cab and only use the Fractal as a Pre-Amp in front of it. This will be preset 400. My next goto preset is the Amp-In-The-Room (AIR) w/ PwrAmp or preset 402. This can go directly into the sound system. The others I rarely use but are there just in case. I don't do FRFR sound systems. Not because I don't like them but I have a bunch of perfectly good small tube amps/cabs and tube combos that work really well. FRFR systems need to be somewhat matched to your preset and tube amps/cabs/combos seem to be much more consistent. This allows me to use any backline that has tube amps and cabs. That's my experience anyway.

But there's a lot of great presets by Leon Todd and others here on the forum. I'm sure they could help you dial in something much better than what I have and with the equipment you already have for the sound you're looking for. What I have for me, my equipment, and what I'm doing may not work at all for you.

Attachments

• FM3-Joel Atomica High - AmpIR - Preset 403.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 29
  • FM3-Joel Atomica High - PreAmp - Preset 400.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 22
  • FM3-Joel Atomica High AIR No PwrAmp - Preset 401.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 22
  • FM3-Joel Atomica High AIR PwrAmp - Preset 402.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
The questions is not what happens with a re set but, ** do we need to do a reset with the current FW update??
Sometimes we do and it's hidden in a million words on the 'Read me' seems like lately we don't have to but every now and then we do

So on this one, anything need to be done aside from the update?
A quick search of the release notes (just do a search for the word “reset”) reveals the following answer to your question...

the Release Notes said:
  • Updated Plexi 100W and 1959SLP models. A soft reset of the Amp is required to load new values.

From what I understand, there's no way to perform a soft reset on the amp block without any settings being reset to default?

From what I understand, there's no way to perform a soft reset on the amp block without any settings being reset to default?
Setup > Global Settings > Tone Control Display = Ideal. Then reselect amp model. It will keep your Gain, EQ, MV settings on your amp. Some models it will still reset the Presence and/or Depth.

I'm very happy that I can finally have an envelope filter that triggers off the block input!!!! Parallel killdry delay into envelope filter is glorious!

What do I need to tweak to get rid of that "quacking duck" sound on the Mutron filter.
Turn it off? :) I mean ... that's kinda what it does.

But if you want less quack you can:
1. lower the Q (make it less narrow)
2. change the input level so it doesn't push it into quack range (or add a limiter before the filter so it clamps the signal before it triggers the filter that far)
3. run it parallel with more dry and less filter
4. use an additional EQ block to dial out some of the most offending frequencies

But is it really a bug? You're expected to have DynaCabs installed.

You get a warning telling you so if they're not...

You have someone living outside the rules :)
I don’t necessarily agree. Considering Dyna-cabs are a separate installation, the assumption can easily be made that it is optional.

I personally use Dyna-cabs in one of my presets, but I could certainly live without it.

The extra 20 seconds at boot doesn’t really make a difference to me as I’m not a gigging musician. If I was, I probably wouldn’t use Dyna-cabs as once I know which IR to use, I won’t be changing it or adjusting it live.

Turn it off? :) I mean ... that's kinda what it does.

But if you want less quack you can:
1. lower the Q (make it less narrow)
2. change the input level so it doesn't push it into quack range (or add a limiter before the filter so it clamps the signal before it triggers the filter that far)
3. run it parallel with more dry and less filter
4. use an additional EQ block to dial out some of the most offending frequencies
Thanks for the input, I guess I'll stay with the auto wah sound I can get from the Wah Block.

Cool, I leave it to you as it doesn't effect me, seeing I don't use the cab block.

Thx...
Whoops, disregard Greg, operator error, the global setting was off (DOH!).

The Cab Block does work in fw9.x without the Dyna-Cabs loaded in Legacy Mode, though obviously not in Dyna-Cab mode.

Sorry for the confusion...

Last edited:
I don’t necessarily agree. Considering Dyna-cabs are a separate installation, the assumption can easily be made that it is optional.

I personally use Dyna-cabs in one of my presets, but I could certainly live without it.

The extra 20 seconds at boot doesn’t really make a difference to me as I’m not a gigging musician. If I was, I probably wouldn’t use Dyna-cabs as once I know which IR to use, I won’t be changing it or adjusting it live.
The unit itself tells you they are missing. It's not optional.

They are a separate installation because they don't make sense to be included with every firmware.

If you use the looper then switch scenes, do you still get that glitch sound still? Or have they sorted that? Either way I've been away a fair bit so next week will be going up from 8 to 9. Thank you FAS for just being awesome!

Back
Top Bottom