FM3 Firmware Release Version 1.06

Another odd behaviour today, using it fine with edit in my Mac, unplugged the usb left the FM3 for an hour or so.

Plugged the usb back in and edit would not connect. Restarted it still wouldn’t saying usb timeout.

FM3 was functioning fine, but no usb connectivity.

Fixed by restarting FM3

Been using the FM3 (1.06) as a DAC quite a bit on my Mac Book Pro this past week (as I sold my previous dedicated DAC while I wait for my new one to arrive) ..

Anyhow, in about 6hrs of daily use, I have to turn off and on the FM3 about 5 to 7 times because I lose all computer sound on it.

Been using the FM3 (1.06) as a DAC quite a bit on my Mac Book Pro this past week (as I sold my previous dedicated DAC while I wait for my new one to arrive) ..

Anyhow, in about 6hrs of daily use, I have to turn off and on the FM3 about 5 to 7 times because I lose all computer sound on it.

Hi @sluice I've also reported the same bug and they're working on it.
Last time I heard from them they couldn't reproduce it.

Are you using a dock or plugging directly into the MBP? If the latter, which port/cable are you using?

Thanks

Can someone tell me where I can download the presets for Firmware 1.05. I erased them a bit to soon. I want to go back to FW 1.05 because of the freezeups?
Thanks

For what it's worth, I have been getting a time out trying to install this update, too. I am using the USB cable Fractal recommended a couple of years ago and keep getting a "No response" timeout, even after rebooting both devices. I tried plugging into a different USB port on my computer, which disconnected an audio interface that wasn't even powered on. After that, I got a new firmware notification on Fractalbot and the firmware downloaded properly.

Hi @sluice I've also reported the same bug and they're working on it.
Last time I heard from them they couldn't reproduce it.

I should send them my replacement unit. I get zero audio over USB from my MacBook Pro.
The moment I choose it as my audio device no audio plays, and even YouTube videos stop playing entirely.

Switch back to the internal speakers and everything starts working. FW 1.0.6

Personally, I have wanted to say this for awhile, bought it and then found this out....and you can flame me if you want, but I thought fractal was the sh*t, until I finally owned one. Now I see that with the FM3, Fractal decided they would scimp out on the processing power (to save money and increase profits?) and now they are paying the price for it. Not only is Fractal paying the price for it, but those that spent the money for it are truly paying the price. Why would you cheap out on processing power? After all your experience with processors? Why would not the processing power be important to you (would it have cost an extra $20 to upgrade the design and would we have refused to pay the extra?) Why would you rob Peter to pay Paul cuz that is exactly what is going on here. I have read about too many problems, my own included. So now we have to take processing power from one thing and feed it to another. No, this is not the AXE3, and it is not the same price, but half the price and 1/5 the processing power? It doesn't add up regardless what you say. Will it ever be the AX3, obviously no, but should we have these problems due to lack of processing power? I don't think so. And I am not an idiot, these things are not that hard to figure out. Fractal has enough experience with processors, etc, to figure this out before design and release? And actually, I am offended that Cliff thinks we are so f'n dumb. That being said, I really like the FM3, I just needed to get that off my mind. Like it or not !!! Sometimes the truth hurts and sometimes people are too timid to say what they feel... peace !!!

Personally, I have wanted to say this for awhile, bought it and then found this out....and you can flame me if you want, but I thought fractal was the sh*t, until I finally owned one. Now I see that with the FM3, Fractal decided they would scimp out on the processing power (to save money and increase profits?) and now they are paying the price for it. Not only is Fractal paying the price for it, but those that spent the money for it are truly paying the price. Why would you cheap out on processing power? After all your experience with processors? Why would not the processing power be important to you (would it have cost an extra $20 to upgrade the design and would we have refused to pay the extra?) Why would you rob Peter to pay Paul cuz that is exactly what is going on here. I have read about too many problems, my own included. So now we have to take processing power from one thing and feed it to another. No, this is not the AXE3, and it is not the same price, but half the price and 1/5 the processing power? It doesn't add up regardless what you say. Will it ever be the AX3, obviously no, but should we have these problems due to lack of processing power? I don't think so. And I am not an idiot, these things are not that hard to figure out. Fractal has enough experience with processors, etc, to figure this out before design and release? And actually, I am offended that Cliff thinks we are so f'n dumb. That being said, I really like the FM3, I just needed to get that off my mind. Like it or not !!! Sometimes the truth hurts and sometimes people are too timid to say what they feel... peace !!!
Who said any of these problems has anything to do with processing power? I have seen no indication of that...

I have had zero issues with mine. Its growing pains like any other new product. All products have bug issues that get worked out, its not lack of processing power. Not sure what you needed for processing power with a small floor unit? I can load mine up pretty heavy with no problem. The fact that they even got this released with all the virus issues is amazing imo. Its a great price point, perfect size , plus the fact that its NOT intended to replace the ax3 at all. Mine does everything I want it to do. One thing you can expect is FAS continuing to perfect this unit like no other company. No one updates like FAS and I have found nothing as good in the market place.

but half the price and 1/5 the processing power?
so all you’d pay for is processing power? That’s what determines price?

but should we have these problems due to lack of processing power?
any specific bugs/problems are not due to processing power ability. bugs can happen on any level of processing power. It’s easy and natural to blame an issue on only the things you can understand, but processing power isn’t the reason.

I am not an idiot, these things are not that hard to figure out.
the more I learn about anything, the more I realize I have so much more to learn. again it’s easy to place blame on “processing power” if that’s the most you know about how devices are created. but there has been public discussion of the specific issues and reasons for some of the trouble. and it’s not “processing power.”

I personally am glad you shared what you did because we can respond to those thoughts and show where it may be misguided.

Really? screw the fake pandemic, this is not about that... I have read many problems that have nothing to do with that. did Fractal shut down... no they didn't. They scimped on processor power IMO. That is the bottom line. those that deny that are not that being honest. You would not have to take from something and give it to something else if that were not the case.
Ok well, maybe not. You are so focused on “processing power” and that’s really not the issue. At this point I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Back
Top Bottom