FM3 Firmware Release Version 1.06

Somewhat of a lingering issue for me since 1.04 is that if I have my FM3 selected as my main audio output while connected to my 2019 16" MacBook Pro I will get the pinwheel of death while youtube or any application playing audio like transcribe! is working. This happens usually within the first 5-10min of a session and once the FM3 is turned off the problem goes away. Happens regardless of FM3-edit being open or not.

As I scour the internet more it appears the T2 chip in 2018+ MacBook Pros has been plagued with all sorts of audio issues.... Hmmm...

This hasn’t happened on other FAS gear. It’s not how expensive gear is, it’s that bugs can happen on any gear.

If anyone can provide a way to reproduce this reliably, it can be fixed. They might also be working on a fix already. To my knowledge, this is happening only to a small amount of people. I personally haven’t ever experienced it.

Can anyone make it happen reliably?

Had the same, foot switches got unresponsive and had to reboot the Fm3
Happened to me with and without axe edit connected
Can’t replicate at the moment.
But it happened a couple of times. Too often to use the unit live.
Also had the lower row of the screen flickering like crazy. Still got sound out of the unit but had to reboot it to get it working properly.
Thanks for all your efforts
Cheers

Had the same, foot switches got unresponsive and had to reboot the Fm3
Happened to me with and without axe edit connected
Can’t replicate at the moment.
But it happened a couple of times. Too often to use the unit live.
Also had the lower row of the screen flickering like crazy. Still got sound out of the unit but had to reboot it to get it working properly.
Thanks for all your efforts
Cheers
Do you recall if you did anything specific when it happened? Someone else said changing views. If that’s consistent among reports, it would be easier to find, for example.

Do you recall if you did anything specific when it happened? Someone else said changing views. If that’s consistent among reports, it would be easier to find, for example.
I can’t say with certainty if I did something specific. I’ll observe it over next couple of days.
With the flickering though which occurred at the same time as the freezing, I get the same flickering happen when I press setup on the Fm3 for a second or two(Happened by accident as I got a little distracted while pressing setup button).

I can’t say with certainty if I did something specific. I’ll observe it over next couple of days.
With the flickering though which occurred at the same time as the freezing, I get the same flickering happen when I press setup on the Fm3 for a second or two(Happened by accident as I got a little distracted while pressing setup button).
That sounds just like the menu loading several times. If you hold some buttons, it’s like you’re pressing them rapidly.

I'm actually having a similar issues.

Initially the tuner would just randomly turn on. Then after doing that a few times the screen would flicker and all of the lights on the front panel would flash erratically. I'll eventually get a message that asks if I want to reset the current channels.

It had been working fine for the past few days as well.

That sounds just like the menu loading several times. If you hold some buttons, it’s like you’re pressing them rapidly.
I see if I can replicate the flickering without pressing the setup button as that how it happened originally
Cheers

I'm actually having a similar issues.

Initially the tuner would just randomly turn on. Then after doing that a few times the screen would flicker and all of the lights on the front panel would flash erratically. I'll eventually get a message that asks if I want to reset the current channels.

It had been working fine for the past few days as well.
I would contact support.fractalaudio.com for something like this.

I would contact support.fractalaudio.com for something like this.
Yeah, I went ahead and emailed them. The unit is now fully unresponsive, and is just stuck on a tuning page. I tried reinstalling both the 1.06 and 1.05 firmware and the issue didn't change, so it likely doesn't have to do with the firmware.

This hasn’t happened on other FAS gear. It’s not how expensive gear is, it’s that bugs can happen on any gear.

If anyone can provide a way to reproduce this reliably, it can be fixed. They might also be working on a fix already. To my knowledge, this is happening only to a small amount of people. I personally haven’t ever experienced it.

Can anyone make it happen reliably?
Hey Chris,

just a note. This has happened to me a few times before as well, I even opened a bug to the the FM3-bugs pages. The solution for me was to reset the whole unit, import back my presets after the FW update and since then I had no problem with the FM3 except freezing with USB on a Mac PRO 16. But since the 1.06 FW, I had no problems with it at all.

Milan

Had a total freeze just now. FM3 has been on a few hours playing music through PC. Went into global out 2 EQ. then tried to connect fm3 edit and had an error for query_sys_info and the unit is frozen.

For what is worth, my FM3 froze 3 times in a row today, when trying importing an Axe-FX III preset (Brett Kingman’s DG ‘75, from the Axchange). After importing it, I tried to adapt it using FM3 Edit, on my Mac, but the connection timed out and the unit totally froze. I had to switch it off and back on to start again, for 3 times. FW 1.06. I realized the unit was muted due to the cpu usage so maybe it was overloaded...

ok i think i see what's happening. i can reproduce it "working" with Edit, and then not working just hardware only.

it's definitely Auto-Engage in the Delay block causing this. i can guess why having Edit connected lets it work, and disconnecting makes it not work, but i'm not sure.

we'll get this reported and let you know. for now, i'd say don't use Auto-Engage in the Delay block, unfortunately.
Just to chime in I am having the exact same issue,

this just started happening... I have FM 1.06 and latest edit

Last edited:
Embarrassing!
I'm on 1.06.
I have my guitar, 2 XLR's out to FOH, 1 EV-2 connected.
Only using one preset for the whole night.

FM3 locks up on me during practice last night.

It's embarrassing when you have to tell all the musicians to watch for pops in their ears, and then the video production team is looking at me like, what's this guy doing? Hey FOH engineer, can you mute the electric guitar channels for about 30 seconds please?

Had to reboot to get the foot switch functions working again.
The audio remained on, on whatever the last scene was.
Patiently awaiting a solid fix.

Last edited:
Embarrassing!
I'm on 1.06.
I have my guitar, 2 XLR's out to FOH, 1 EV-2 connected.
Only using one preset for the whole night.

FM3 locks up on me during practice last night.

It's embarrassing when you have to tell all the musicians to watch for pops in their ears, and the the video production team is looking at me like, what's this guy doing? Hey FOH engineer, can you mute the electric guitar channels for about 30 seconds please?

Had to reboot to get the foot switch functions working again.
The audio remained on, on whatever the last scene was.
Patiently awaiting a solid fix.
Do you recall what you did when it froze? That would help us fix it. I haven’t had any freezes ever, did a 2 hour live stream yesterday no issues, clicked a ton of things. Just trying to get information to make it happen on my unit so we can fix it. Thanks!

Chris, if I had to try and tie an event to it, maybe I hit 2 of the foot switches at the same time?
And the foot switches are set up for scene changes, where I was at when it froze.
Thank you.

Used the FM3 on a gig yesterday, looked down to press a foot switch and 2 of the mini LCD's were blank and it was unresponsive (locked up/frozen). Rebooted and it went back to normal although response to buttons was sluggish. Can't offer anymore info on anything I did when it happened as I was in the middle of a performance. Why is this thing so plagued with issues?

I’ve had similar to above, not plugged into edit, running 1.06.

Switched footswitch layouts a few times quickly and the foot switches on the FM3 (I also have a FC6 connected) went completely blank, turned off the unit and it‘s not repeated.

Back
Top Bottom