FM3 Firmware Release Version 1.06

@Rob D

The FM3 is what it is. We now know what it is and what it is not, nor will it ever be.

You sir are wasting your time and energy here.

I too feel the FM3 is lacking in power for how I would like to use it, and so I've decided to try and sell mine, and look at other options.

SIMPLE SOLUTION

No amount of forum posting is going to change the products design and capabilities.

Processing power aside, I'm sure we can agree it was not fully ready for release by typical Fractal standards. And we all know what the issues were and still are. It's unfortunate because new users won't get it. I doubt we'd see this happening with a product release from Boss, Line 6 etc at this level of frustration. I'm sure Fractal is even more frustrated. I do remain hopeful it all gets worked out. My fear is that the FM3 is and always could be a dog and as a product is removed from the lineup. 2020, can't wait to see you go!

Processing power aside, I'm sure we can agree it was not fully ready for release by typical Fractal standards. And we all know what the issues were and still are. It's unfortunate because new users won't get it. I doubt we'd see this happening with a product release from Boss, Line 6 etc at this level of frustration. I'm sure Fractal is even more frustrated. I do remain hopeful it all gets worked out. My fear is that the FM3 is and always could be a dog and as a product is removed from the lineup. 2020, can't wait to see you go!
Since July when I got my FM 3 I did not have ANY issue with the FM 3, just pure satisfaction when it comes to features, tone and feeling (dynamics, touch sensibility).
The only thing that took (and still takes...) some time is to learn about any function of the unit and how to get to the point where you wanna go.
So I do not understand any kind of frustration at all.

I feel the FM3 is too new of a product to justify bashing it so badly. I've been a long time Kemper toaster owner for over 7 years and trust me, when I first got it, there were big problems which include locking, unable to switch presets, settings disappearing. Since then, there have been numerous firmware updates and my experience today is much different than previous. It's a continuous lifecycle of upgrades/testing/tweaking. I recently purchased by FM3 because of the price point, portability and the Fractal reputation. Give it time, it's still pretty much a newborn.

Since July when I got my FM 3 I did not have ANY issue with the FM 3, just pure satisfaction when it comes to features, tone and feeling (dynamics, touch sensibility).
The only thing that took (and still takes...) some time is to learn about any function of the unit and how to get to the point where you wanna go.
So I do not understand any kind of frustration at all.
Glad to hear you haven't had any problems. Fractal Audio is hands down the best company out there when it comes to guitar related products.

I have one of the non-headphone versions, so I have been with it awhile. I am not a "power user" nor do I play live at the present time. I use the FM3 almost daily as an amp replacement, not a recording device. If I did want to record, I'd plug it into an interface as I always have. Honestly, seriously, no bs - through all of the FW versions - I've never had a single crash or blank screen or glitch. It's just worked as I needed it to, which is to emulate an amp and a half dozen or so effects in a chain and sound damn good while doing so.

Should I be able to play youtube audio through my FM3 (as an example)? I guess, if that's what it's supposed to do. Did I expect to be able to add 12 effects and 2 amps to the signal chain? Nope, because that was clear going into this.

I don't post this to refute the problems/issues/desires of anybody else on the forum. I just think my experience is probably more typical of people that have a FM3. If you consider yourself a "power user", the AX3 is obviously the better choice (and yes, I used to own one of those, and I sold it when I got the FM3). Here's hoping everybody eventually becomes as satisfied as I currently am.

Last edited:
I am a new Fractal user.

The FM3 has exhibited almost no issues for me in the time I have had it. Maybe it is the limited way in which I use it. I have had it since June, and use it almost every day. I have recorded with it and blasted it through an FRFR. It has done nearly everything I asked of it without complaints. I get that not everyone seems to be having this experience, and there are legitimate issues folks have had, but the FM3 has been solid for me. I concur with @examiner above, I think that FM3 issues are rarer than it would seem in any particular internet forum. I have created a "kitchen sink" patch that does everything I would need for 99% of the gigs that I used to do in what now seems like the dark ages. It will also do the other 1%, but I will need an FC6 and some time to program that crazy sh1+ (note: that crazy sh1+ is different every time and largely dependent on the venue, setlist, and gig).

The FM3 has exceeded my expectations of what it should be able to do. So much so that I recently sold off my Helix floor and will be getting an Axe FX3 as a permanent fixture in my home studio whenever they get to my spot in the waitlist.

The way I look at it is this: this hardware is still in its early stages. I have long maintained that the past doesn't dictate the future for me, it is to be reviewed and learned from, but it can't do anything but guide to a better path. Regardless of any growing pains, this gear will be awesome. It already is that, so it can only get better. I certainly would not want to be judged on my teenage self. That guy was an idiot. I am a much older and wiser idiot now.

Also, it just occurred to me that this probably off topic. I apologize. Rectification: 1.06 is working great for me.

I am a new Fractal user.

The FM3 has exhibited almost no issues for me in the time I have had it. Maybe it is the limited way in which I use it. I have had it since June, and use it almost every day. I have recorded with it and blasted it through an FRFR. It has done nearly everything I asked of it without complaints. I get that not everyone seems to be having this experience, and there are legitimate issues folks have had, but the FM3 has been solid for me. I concur with @examiner above, I think that FM3 issues are rarer than it would seem in any particular internet forum. I have created a "kitchen sink" patch that does everything I would need for 99% of the gigs that I used to do in what now seems like the dark ages. It will also do the other 1%, but I will need an FC6 and some time to program that crazy sh1+ (note: that crazy sh1+ is different every time and largely dependent on the venue, setlist, and gig).

The FM3 has exceeded my expectations of what it should be able to do. So much so that I recently sold off my Helix floor and will be getting an Axe FX3 as a permanent fixture in my home studio whenever they get to my spot in the waitlist.

The way I look at it is this: this hardware is still in its early stages. I have long maintained that the past doesn't dictate the future for me, it is to be reviewed and learned from, but it can't do anything but guide to a better path. Regardless of any growing pains, this gear will be awesome. It already is that, so it can only get better. I certainly would not want to be judged on my teenage self. That guy was an idiot. I am a much older and wiser idiot now.

Also, it just occurred to me that this probably off topic. I apologize. Rectification: 1.06 is working great for me.
I received mine right after 1.06 came out. Updated it the day I received it and I haven't had any issues either. Granted, I am using a pretty modest signal chain and not trying to do anything other than play it through an frfr. For me the fm3 has lived up to the expectations and then some. I didn't expect an axe 3, nor did I need all of that processing power. I don't need to be able to run nasa from it, just play guitar and get good tones. So far it has more than delivered

Still getting random artifacts, static type of noise periodically through USB and Mac with 1.06. The best version (not perfect) was 1.04 for USB recording for me so far. Glad others are satisfied and I am waiting to join that group. Looking forward to the next version to see how it progresses and excited for the USB issues to be resolved. Hopefully that is possible. :)

Still getting random artifacts, static type of noise periodically through USB and Mac with 1.06. The best version (not perfect) was 1.04 for USB recording for me so far. Glad others are satisfied and I am waiting to join that group. Looking forward to the next version to see how it progresses and excited for the USB issues to be resolved. Hopefully that is possible. :)
We are aware that some customers are experiencing issues with USB audio and Macs. We are working to resolve these issues.

We are aware that some customers are experiencing issues with USB audio and Macs. We are working to resolve these issues.

Yesssss. One of my favorite things to do is to jam along to music played out of my FRFR speakers with my FM3, and I currently can't do that #FeelsBadMan

I can appreciate your position. The only reason I brought up my thoughts tonight is because it has been eating at me a little bit. I have been thinking about it for a couple 2 or 3 weeks and fed by posts from others here and on the TGP forums. As I said, I like the FM3 and Fractal, I have just been disappointed by what I have read, along with my limited experience, probably 2 months now. I wasn't really here on this post to describe my problems, such as freezing, scribbles disappearing, usb recording problems, or so many others that have been reported. I think I know that Fractal will fix these problems. But again, my first Fractal experience. I only stated what I did to voice my disappointment that "apparently" the processor is inadequate to fulfill the needs required to bring the FM3 up to the Axe3. And yes, I know, and no one needs to bring it up again, that the FM3 is not the Axe3, however, it is alleged (or was) that it would be able to port over many of the same things available on the Axe3. I personally have never thought it would match the Axe3 per say, but when they started to "rob peter to pay paul" on delays (reverbs) and spoke about the drives and the pitch shifting, well, I became concerned. And just being honest. I have been playing professionally since the 70's beginning with acoustic (Martins), then by the 80's with Rock and Electric, including Marshall and HiWatt tube amps. But now, with this technology, and carrying this small FM3 and going FOH without carrying anything else, well, you can imagine my desire and my hope that it was/is all that I hoped it would be. So consider this a message to Fractal that I hope it all comes to pass and hoping it does. :)
I think you are stressing too much about potential problems and anecdotes read on the forums. Many of us have gigged successfully with the FM3 direct to FOH. All Fractal products have the ability to be pushed beyond their limits (100% CPU) by loading lots of blocks. You have to work within the limits of the device whether III, FM3, AX8, II, etc. I for one appreciate Cliff and team being open with us about how the system works so we can squeeze the most out of it.

I can see how discussion of limitations and trade-offs might give you the impression that the system is somehow flawed. But, you don't have many people agreeing with you there.

If you truly want to get the most out of what the FM3 has to offer, I suggest you experiment and seek help on the forum when you run into issues. You will get no end of help with specific issues (especially if you post a preset).

However, hand-wringing over specs and he/she-said doesn't seem productive, IMO.

I think you are stressing too much about potential problems and anecdotes read on the forums. Many of us have gigged successfully with the FM3 direct to FOH. All Fractal products have the ability to be pushed beyond their limits (100% CPU) by loading lots of blocks. You have to work within the limits of the device whether III, FM3, AX8, II, etc. I for one appreciate Cliff and team being open with us about how the system works so we can squeeze the most out of it.

I can see how discussion of limitations and trade-offs might give you the impression that the system is somehow flawed. But, you don't have many people agreeing with you there.

If you truly want to get the most out of what the FM3 has to offer, I suggest you experiment and seek help on the forum when you run into issues. You will get no end of help with specific issues (especially if you post a preset).

However, hand-wringing over specs and he/she-said doesn't seem productive, IMO.
Yah, I had a bad day yesterday and then pounded down a few beers which opened me up like a can of worms. I like the FM3 and I have gigged with it at least 4 times live and I have a gig tomorrow night and I will be using the FM3. I like Fractal (my first) and yes, it is the best floor modeler I have used. I intend to keep it and use it for a long time. And so, even tho' there is a wait and see sorta suspense to this unit AND even tho' I still wonder about a couple design decisions, I apologize for my little rant last nite. Never drink and drive (or post) Ha...

Back
Top Bottom