Tremonster

Hi everyone! My question is: Does anyone know if I could use my Fm3 just as a cab simulator with a real head (I think maybe it depends on the head having a line output)? I'm not sure that can be done, I think not. But if possible I would like to use my head with a real 212, the fm3 for effects and to send the signal to line with the cab simulation. Maybe using output 1 for 212 and output 2 for line. Help please hahaha

Nah. Not unless you’re okay with either no power amp or doubling up on the preamp.

But you could: You’d just use the amp’s FX Loop send into the FM3’s input and just use a cab block.

You can use a FM3's Amp Block as a tube power amp sim with a tube amp's "Preamp Out/FX Send as well as it's Cab Block and FX.

If using with a tube amp's "Speaker Out" you "need" a Load Box!

The Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40 has a load box built-in and you can run it without any cab while getting your signal from after the power tubes. Some more amps with load boxes might exist, but it's a rare exception, not the normal case.

Ah yes, you use a real cab anyway, right?
Little tools exist that you can put in between the amp out and the cab in and they extract the signal from there and then you could send the signal to the FM3.
You need a unit that allows to turn off it's cab simulation part.
Like the Behringer GI100, or Hughes & Kettner Red Box Pro (only the Pro version). Maybe Radial also has someting like that

If your Amp has a line out : YES !
As long as the Amp stays connected to the speaker 2x12......Else you will need a load box !
If the line out is between your Pre and Power amp , than turn on the Power Amp modelling on the FM3...at least experiment with On / Off......

The Fractal Cab sim loader is the best I have tried yet...Just tried the two Notes Can M+ as Cab IR loader...felt very stiff...FM3 : Organic

If your Amp has a line out : YES !
As long as the Amp stays connected to the speaker 2x12......Else you will need a load box !
If the line out is between your Pre and Power amp , than turn on the Power Amp modelling on the FM3...at least experiment with On / Off......

The Fractal Cab sim loader is the best I have tried yet...Just tried the two Notes Can M+ as Cab IR loader...felt very stiff...FM3 : Organic
You need to use an amp block and there's no "poweramp only" option in the Fractal. But with the right amp model it could still sound good.

I have such good results running my Louis Electronics Tweed Deluxe, nowadays called the Buster, into my Motherload Elemental loadbox into the front of my Axe Fx II Mark II ( Ares) that I am tempted to buy a small Plexi flavored amp as well. I probably won't since I spend most my time on the FM3. I tried running the signal into a FX loop to use the Drives, put for some reason it sounds better going straight into the front.

Hi everyone! My question is: Does anyone know if I could use my Fm3 just as a cab simulator with a real head (I think maybe it depends on the head having a line output)? I'm not sure that can be done, I think not. But if possible I would like to use my head with a real 212, the fm3 for effects and to send the signal to line with the cab simulation. Maybe using output 1 for 212 and output 2 for line. Help please hahaha
You need a speaker to line level box and you will be able to have a line out that is after the power amp .

Cool! I'm looking at availability in g66 and they have it, so it can be a very successful option. Thanks mate!
Are you sure they have it ? I dont see it in their shop...only the product page.......I was looking for it also but availability was killing so bought the Suhr Reactive Load Box....works also very very very nicely !

You need to use an amp block and there's no "poweramp only" option in the Fractal. But with the right amp model it could still sound good.
It's easy to build your own tube power amp sim from the Tube Pre amp sim, by copying in the power amp, speaker, and power supply etc params from the power amp you want as desired, along with a flat tonestack.

You can also minimize input trim and set power amp trim as needed to keep the Tube Pre's section clean, and hit the power section as hard as desired.

You can also use a tube preamp with flat(er) response and use the Axe's tone stack and cathode follower controls to great effect as well, in effect allowing your tube preamp to sound like most anything etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom