Fletcher Munson - Home Is GREAT! Gig is BAD!!!!!

When I dialed mine in, I played the loudest, heaviest riff I knew and used the Looper to play it back constantly. That left my hands free to tweak as much as I liked and saved a huge amount of time in the rehearsal room as I wasn't playing, tweaking, playing, tweaking.

Once I had a tone I was happy with I played through it to make sure it felt OK and then fine tuned it when the rest of the band got there. Simples.

As others have said there is no be - all, end - all fix. There are certain EQ areas that boominess/harshness reside but where and how much to tweak is very dependent on guitar, amp model and probably most important is cab IR.

You need to blast it at a rehearsal room I'm afraid!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I invariably find that raising the volume to gig levels makes my tone sound cleaner and less "hairy" than at practice level, and I often need to raise the gain to compensate. Perhaps someone can come up with an explanation why my experience runs contrary to the general consensus?
Are you using the same downstream equipment (power amp, speakers, etc.) when you're playing loud as when you're playing quietly?

House PA also can be quite different. Our band PA is using 2x1000W boxes, over which I can get a good sound. Yesterday I played in a bar equiped with some small Mackie speakers and a very "attenuatedé scene (dead sound), only highs seemed to come through and I had to equalize a lot (pull up the mids and pull down highs) as well on out1 as out2 which I use for my return monitor. Another way could be turning up the proximity but unfortunately you have to dial in that for each patch...as it is not a global parameter AFAIK.
Also don't worry about these changes, during one or two rehearsals you can dial in and tweek your Axe correctly. Personnally I had lots more problems with volume changes afyer loading new FW versions than with the rest.

To the original poster…

You didn’t mention how your sound is going to front of house (FOH). If your Alto TS115a is also your stage monitor, you might be hearing the effects of that particular amp / speaker. If you are feeding a more flat (truly FRFR) PA for FOH, the Alto may be giving you a distorted view of your actual signal.

So, you might want to look at your playback system as well as the effect of Fletcher Munson. Try your presets at a local store that sells monitors, and play through several at volume. Many FRFR floor monitors are designed with enhancing vocals. Many PA mains enhance bass and treble. Despite the flat looking EQ curve on the Alto web site, their price point leads me to believe they are sort of an entry level unit. Even the “prosumer” tier, generally have some non-linear EQ curves. The published curves are usually smoothed, to create a nice flat looking picture. The bottom line is you may not notice a harsh compression driver or muddy low end at low volume, but feel like it is a knife in the ear when it is turned up. The higher end units have a whole lot of engineering to make sure they sound good (possibly flat) at a wide range of volumes. That’s why they cost so much, even if the surface specs (woofer size, compression driver type and throat, power amps capabilities, DSP if any) look similar to less capable systems.

An option might also be to borrow a dbx DriveRack, SMAART, or other spectrum analyzer to see what it takes to truly flatten your monitoring system’s EQ. I run a DriveRack between my power amps and monitors all the time, to EQ them to close to flat. You can get an inexpensive Dayton mic, and apps for your iphone / ipad that will give you a decent little spectrum analyzer and sound pressure level meter to do similar EQing with the global EQ block in your Axe.

Dayton Audio iMM-6 iDevice Calibrated Microphone* | 390-810

https://itunes.apple.com/app/signalscope/id284781777?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/splnfft-noise-meter/id355396114?mt=8

Last edited:
I've had an Alto TS115a before and found to be very true to the original signal, at least for the price. It's fine for monitoring or a bit of stage volume. Just make sure the "Contour" switch is off as that is the monitor's compensation for FM at low volumes.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread as usual. I would just say that I hear a difference even going from "quiet" bedroom levels to "loud" bedroom levels. Now that might not be FM per se, but I think it's another aspect of our perceptions of tone at different volumes. Sometimes just a few dB make all the difference.

I just cant see my band agreeing to sit in a room with me at full volume and sculpt my tone in the band.

You don't actually need the band to be there (although that would be ideal). You just need a space where you can crank to live volume and tweak your settings. Perhaps before or after rehearsal?

Additionally (but assuming you can get to SOME live-volume capable space), you can try and find a pair of headphones that will compensate for the volume difference. Take every headphone, earbud, IEM's, & whatever makes sounds to your ears with you to a practice space. First craft a tone you like at live volume. Then with the PA/speakers off, audition each headphone searching for the one that most closely matches the live sound. (it probably won't be your best pair! ;-) ). Then use those when crafting tones at home, or at least for final tweakage. And live with the difference in your fav headphones.

I just cant see my band agreeing to sit in a room with me at full volume and sculpt my tone in the band.

Just find a "safe time" and crank it at home to gig volume and dial it in -- no need for the band.

Honestly it will not take that long (few minutes for each preset)- it not like you have to play for hours so get it right.

Also how loud t do you play with the band -- kill small children and animals loud?

I think if you are able to get to 70-80% of your gig volume you should be able to dial in a solid gig vol tone and be good to go.

It doesn't have to be the band... you can get any drummer and bass player to sit down with you. Offer to buy them lunch. Or beer if they like it.

I think that's how I got ( and stayed ) in the band anyways. This is actually really great advice.
Thanks. This might actually work.

Based on the vid which I know isn't the best way to tell I would say a little more volume and less effect, your sound in buried pretty good in that mix.
I had 1 day to figure something out between a day job. EH,.....not bad for an iPhone though, huh?

It's basically the same tone I'm using now, exactly as you recommended.
Clean tone is beautiful, and I'm constantly refining for live play. It's getting better all the time, ( pun Intended )and I think I have what I prefer to use, at least for right now.

The crunch , which isn't featured in the video, sounds great s a lead, but I need something as a rhythm patch, and sound. It's incredibly shrill/bass, at the present moment. That's what this is about mainly.
The ultimate dream is that perfect picture of sound like Ty Tabor/King's X kinda thing. Where your tone rhythm wise really rounds out a sound, and paints a picture as a whole band unit.
I know this isn't going to be easy.

Another thing to be aware of is that sometimes it's not you, it's the room/stage/sound system. Before you go tweaking your presets to compensate, be sure what you're hearing on stage is in fact what the crowd is hearing. In one of the places I play the stage monitors are sitting on a wood stage which resonates and creates a nasty, farty, bass sound. If I try to compensate (with the low cut), the mains end up sounding weak. Another place I play has cheap stage monitors that make me sound like a tin can. Completely opposite problems, but the same presets.

I have been around playing with Bill Clements live for a few months, just doing open mic nights, and have felt the sting of this very effect. Here in Kalamazoo, a "MAIN" is basically not gonna happen if you want jump in or play a one night stand somewhere. It's the main reason I went with the ALTO 1X15 ACTIVE. I A/B optioned them at Guitar Center with a sound man I've known over 10 years through various models of the same and different brands of FR/FR, and settled on this after trying them out for a week.
Stage wise, completely put of my control. I've never even seen or heard of the places we are lined up to play until I get there, as we are starting to travel a lot all over Michigan. As far back Home in Kalamazoo, even the old regular places have had a million changed since I saw my favorite local bands as a kid, back in the day.
I've overall been happy with Alto, on a stand or somewhat raised and used as a wedge facing the crowd.
It's been the closest I have been able to get across the board with a consistent sound.
Thanks, I was waiting to feel the comfort of people knowing exactly what you just mentioned.
Its good to know it's not always me just being clueless

Dig around online and find the isolated tracks to some of your favorite pro mixed albums that match your band's sound and style and use the isolated guitar tracks as a guide for your overall eq. If possible play the tracks through you axe fx rig like a backing track and try to match up the response while playing along. It won't be perfect by any stretch, but it will get you in the right ballpark for a "mixed with the band" sound. From there you can do the final tweaking live with your band at gig volume. A good pair of flat response studio headphones might help you too. You can crank those to match up the EQ without pissing off your neighbors. Again won't be perfect, but better than nothing. Unfortunately there is no substitute for final tweaking with the band at gig volume.

Unless you knwo where I can find King's X stuff after the Dogman era ( which is my ideal band mix guitar tone ). Been there and tried that.
I dug up a decent RUSH guitar tone patch thread and got that going for the show in a couple of hours.
It sufficed, but didn't make me very happy. It was loud enough and fit "okay", but who wants okay. Good enough isn't good enough for me. Shit, look at who I'm playing with and what I'm expected to play.
I really hate routing to play things through the Axe. its just a preference i don't enjoy.
Also, instead of tone matching on the front of the amp, I , against all rational thought, prefer the old method of matching things with Ozone, and using Voxengo Deconvulver. I got these working with my Mac Pro, and the reults are scary great. I just think It get closer and transfers to different guitars, and pickups, and over all across the board as a patch to share on the forums better than the Tone Match option.
It's just a personal thing.
Here's an example that shows what my results were, and how I got them with links an VERY DETAILED instructions.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...st-peace-album-guitar-tone-eq-matched-ir.html

This is not rocket science you know.

It never ceases to puzzle me why people who have spent $2.5k+ on a complex versatile rig would baulk at spending a few extra bucks on rehearsal studio fees to get this problem under control.

Take is easy duder.
It's just not an option at the moment, I'm a little broke, but now that you've mentioned it, it may be.
That's actually a really good idea. I know quite a few guys who own this unit, and even own a studio or two around town. Consider this and Matts idea of buying pizza and beer strong considerations for the winning prize!

[/QUOTE]All I did was take my rig to a good rehearsal studio, hire the biggest room, took backing CDs to play along with and tweaked my patches with a laptop and axe edit until I was happy with them. It's important to stand in different places and decide on the physical placement of amp to ear; and try and find a physical configuration that will work at the kind of gigs/stages you expect to play in. That got me about 80% there. Then I arranged 3-4 jams (once again at a rehearsal studio) with fellow gear freaks who like playing and testing their rigs. This pretty much got me there.

While I was at it I ran o/ps to the studio PA and tweaked the global out eq until I had a sound (with a flat desk eq) that I was happy with. The one time I gigged and went direct to desk the sound guy really liked the sound and barely tweaked it. A minutes worth of rhythm and lead and we were done.

This setup translated very well to rooms of different sizes, and I have not had to do any tweaking on the fly. If I did I would just use the Boss Sniper GE-7 that I run in front of the axe to even out the gain between Strat and LP. I've always just left the eq flat.

All this cost me around $150 in studio hire for an enjoyable time tweaking away at gig volumes. My gig rig now lives packed up in the garage and the duplicate Ultra in my home studio rarely gets turned on. I do most of my practice on my ES-175 unplugged.

I understand that many axe owners have not had to go this path so YMMV. What's not to like though? I got to jam (not rehearse) with friends and experiment with my gear. Win/Win I say.[/QUOTE]
WORD!
It's GOING TO BE OPENLY TALKED ABOUT AT PRACTICE. I'm considering this in the cards right now.
Thanks so much for this idea. I was just initially hoping to be able to do it at home myself. Which, is one of the reasons I bought the damn thing in the first place.
To comment on effects volume levels, I'm also a sucker for Reverse pedals, and love freaking people out LIVE with them.
Who's constantly doing that? Hopefully its a cheap way to be original, and work towards something unique.

This may have been mentioned already but see if you can find the thread on here about Yek's mid-boost trick - it totally solved the problem you are describing for me.
Essentially, place a filter block near the end of your signal chain in the Axe Fx, and set it for a 3-4dB boost to the mids.
You can assign the bypass of this block to an unused controller so it can quickly be engaged/disengaged in all patches.
This works great for me - I turn it off at home or low volume and on at high volume.
Oh yeah - your bassist is really good! When I realized he was playing with one hand my mouth dropped open!

I can't find Yeks thread. Does anyone have a link???
I'm more than game to try it.
I did find this though - http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/66851-yeks-presets-v14-blog.html
Ive just had trouble making "MY SOUND" out of his layout. Which I have always thought kinda meant I was an idiot, and kept it to myself, and left it at that.
Same thing with Scott Petersons' layout
I love the idea behind it
Scott Peterson your in Detroit right?
Want Pizza and Beer?????????
My bassist - ha, I'm his guitar player. Yeah the one hand thing. Blessing and a curse. He never cease at the drop of a hat to help those with similar circumstances though, and there is a couple from Toronto ( similar problem ) who have come to see us play twice now.
Nice dude, and I forget he's only got one hand. I'm always wondering why he cant grab more gear, or hold the door, and asking him to take a million notes. And then I'm like, oh yeah....sorry dude.
Im covered in tattoos and i even forget they are there.

maybe I can Hit up Scott Peterson for a try out with this tips, as we will be playing Detroit again in a few months.
We were asked back.

Here's a bit of FM wisdom that caused me to program a pseudo anti-Fletcher Munson GEQ a while back. Unfortunately the block is no longer compatible with the current firmware, but that doesn't mean it can't be recreated fairly simply. I forget who posted it originally, but it's worth a read:

My Anti FM EQ is a little rought to say the least for a number of reasons. Firstly its a Graphic EQ Im using, which wont generate a smooth frequency curve. Secondly there are only 2 available EQs (one on each global), so you can only set up for two volume levels - deviating from those levels will make the settings less effective (sometimes a relativelty small increase/decrease in volume has a noticeable effect). Lastly it depends on the room - we all know some a boomy, some are bright etc.
That said, I took one of the many FM curves published, and chose a loud level (110db in my case) as my reference. Thats my flat EQ, and represents my gig volume level. i then chose a quieter level - 80db initially though I think I play louder than that at home - and mapped the "offsets" - ie how much each freq differed from the reference. then I played at both levels and fine tuned by ear - actually the offsets were generally reduced because I was louder than the 80db I plotted on the chart.
using this doesnt mean i dont have to fine tune to a room, or to a live volulme but its pretty close normally. My "home" eq curve doesnt change as I generally play at the same level.
All that waffle out of the way, Ive settled on the following EQs for my home use:
32 hz: +4db
65 hz +2.4db
125 hz +1.5db
250hz -0.5db
500hz -1.2db
1 Khz +0.5db
2 Khz +1.75db
4 Khz +1.5db
8 Khz +3.0db
16 Khz +0.5db
I inverted all of the settings on the GEQ block I setup, and as you might imagine, it cuts lows and highs while boosting the midrange. Not necessarily a panacea, but a good place to start.

Gonna give this a shot as well
That took a lot of time, and it's greatly appreciated. That picture is currently my Screen Saver right now
THANX!

Tons of good info in this thread. To the OP, if I read your post right your somewhat new to playing live or with other people. Were you a bedroom rock star before that? (just asking because that is what you sort of said.) It sounds to me like you have a very simple (and common) case of bedroom tone. FM is one explanation for it, but what I have found with bedroom guitarists is that when they play alone, they seem to try to fill out all the sonic space. They try to include frequencies that are the domain of the bass and cymbals in their sound, because when all alone it sounds better to them. The guitar the way it SHOULD SOUND by itself sounds naked and thin because the bass and drums are not there to complete the sonic picture for you. SO... you end up dialing up a bunch of bass and treble, and then when you play with other instruments you disappear.

The answer is to download some backing tracks (as suggested by someone above) and go to your practice space, blast the tracks through the PA and jam to them at full volume. Try Free Guitar Backing Tracks @ GuitarBackingTrack.com
Then you can at least get a somewhat closer idea of what you should be sounding like. It won't be the same as real drums and bass, but far better than guessing at it in your bedroom. When in doubt, add more mids. This is where guitar lives. By itself, it can sound a bit "honky", but live it will work much better.

Yes I am a legend in my own mind, at least in the bedroom( drum roll)
And your right about the frequency thing. I usually adjust it in the mix with some EQ, but damn it JIM, live, I'm not an engineer, I'm a guitar player, so......
I'm definitely gonna try this, and then try to refine it, and keep them handy when we go in to record a single or so in a few months.
Thanks for the links dude

To the original poster…

You didn’t mention how your sound is going to front of house (FOH). If your Alto TS115a is also your stage monitor, you might be hearing the effects of that particular amp / speaker. If you are feeding a more flat (truly FRFR) PA for FOH, the Alto may be giving you a distorted view of your actual signal.

So, you might want to look at your playback system as well as the effect of Fletcher Munson. Try your presets at a local store that sells monitors, and play through several at volume. Many FRFR floor monitors are designed with enhancing vocals. Many PA mains enhance bass and treble. Despite the flat looking EQ curve on the Alto web site, their price point leads me to believe they are sort of an entry level unit. Even the “prosumer” tier, generally have some non-linear EQ curves. The published curves are usually smoothed, to create a nice flat looking picture. The bottom line is you may not notice a harsh compression driver or muddy low end at low volume, but feel like it is a knife in the ear when it is turned up. The higher end units have a whole lot of engineering to make sure they sound good (possibly flat) at a wide range of volumes. That’s why they cost so much, even if the surface specs (woofer size, compression driver type and throat, power amps capabilities, DSP if any) look similar to less capable systems.

An option might also be to borrow a dbx DriveRack, SMAART, or other spectrum analyzer to see what it takes to truly flatten your monitoring system’s EQ. I run a DriveRack between my power amps and monitors all the time, to EQ them to close to flat. You can get an inexpensive Dayton mic, and apps for your iphone / ipad that will give you a decent little spectrum analyzer and sound pressure level meter to do similar EQing with the global EQ block in your Axe.

I have been around playing with Bill Clements live for a few months, just doing open mic nights, and have felt the sting of this very effect. Here in Kalamazoo, a "MAIN" is basically not gonna happen if you want jump in or play a one night stand somewhere. It's the main reason I went with the ALTO 1X15 ACTIVE. I A/B optioned them at Guitar Center with a sound man I've known over 10 years through various models of the same and different brands of FR/FR, and settled on this after trying them out for a week.
Stage wise, completely out of my control. I've never even seen or heard of the places we are lined up to play until I get there, as we are starting to travel a lot all over Michigan. As far back Home in Kalamazoo, even the old regular places have had a million changed since I saw my favorite local bands as a kid, back in the day.
I've overall been happy with Alto, on a stand or somewhat raised and used as a wedge facing the crowd.
It's been the closest I have been able to get across the board with a consistent sound.

When I show a guy the Axe, just explaining it to him, which is fun, takes more time than setting up.
Running in to a main isn't an option sometimes, at least not yet.
I figured that when this issue arose I'd see how the funds were looking, and hit up the forums with how to run it, and use it as an option, or just book Matt Picone or Scott Peterson for a day of patching fun.
You got any Ideas or a patch or picture I could check out to use as a routing example for a front of house sound
It's all new to me. I know it's been done to death on the forums, but I have had the time, and it unfortunately, as of late, hasn't been my main focus.
I'm basically using the Axe as a head, and going to the Alto, like an old school cab rig.

Also how loud t do you play with the band -- kill small children and animals loud?.
I actually had a very dear friend come see us this past weekend, and have someone come from a next door business and ream his ass out about how loud we were playing.
We are King's X loud. If youve seen them, they , in my opinion bring MANOWAR to shame.
Most of the time, we are the only "Rock" band in an acoustic setting, or the only band playng somethign that need a detailed attention, note selection riff wise.
A lot of it is three chord rock bands at local clubs, or acoustic stuff, and we show up with GEAR.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Lastly Im using these headphones
Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable: Musical Instruments
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Stereo Headphone Review by Dale | Stereophile.com

Reactions: J.C
I will find the mid-boost tip and post a link.

You mentioned King's X a number of times - I'm a big fan of the earlier era. Anyway, for some reason I think the BogFish model always puts me in mind of Ty's tonal character... You might try that one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I respect everyone's opinion but there is no cure all. Every player is different, every situation is different, every rig is different. Just listening to that clip, it's clear that there's some work to be done.

The OP sent me a PM and I've PM'd him back. What I suggest to him is to share a preset here on the board or via email. What I do for players is this: I can take that preset, listen to his clip and what influences he has and jump start him... ideally then it's time for face-to-face and crank it up time to see if we are near the mark. The player offers their opinions and communicates their wants - we dial it in. I do that online and on the phone with some guys; other times I get in the room with the artist.

I approach everything with a simple repeatable method. It's simple. It's repeatable. It's personal and unique to each individual player. What works for me or you might not work at all for the OP.

Strip it back. Then add in the 'rest of the story' with effects, work the routing and then assign control via midi to whatever switcher you use and expression pedals.

When running FRFR, the key to live tones cutting is the IR. Always has been, always is, always will be until the technology changes. Get the right IR to fit the amp tones used and then be aware of WHAT playing situation you are in (ie. the OP's bassist is very prominent and takes up a lot of space). I'd suggest a low cut/high pass based on that and move from there.

A lot of discussion about Fletcher/Munson and it's all on target. IMHO, you can dial up tones at around 80-90db and then you test it at 115db (or more) in short bursts (but be careful with your ears) to see how it sits in a mix. A good test is to play along to a track that is similar in style and mix to what you do live through your same monitor you use (assuming this is all FRFR) and see how your tone sits. (*If it ain't working in your mix in your FRFR, then it ain't gonna work in the mix at FOH).

The final bit of work is leveling your presets for uniform output (cleans/OD) and getting your solo boosts setup. (I prefer scenes for that now).

FRFR is a somewhat daunting business upfront because of the amount of pre-production and engineering skills you need to do it effectively before you get into a rehearsal, recording or a gig situation.

When I work with artists, the key is that they do not have or want to be engineers - they just want to play. That's when it's time to get someone to help you, IMHO.

IMHO, YMMV.

Gain and EQ need to be different for gigs. EQ'ing during a gig is tough but you can assign a pedal to gain and ride it a bit while playing to find what works. It's not ideal but it can work.

People need to understand this. Back when I was spending time on the Boogie board people would always come over and say how the Axe Fx is plug and play and they were sick of fiddling with a fickle tube amp. It's BS IMO. Amps are easy by comparison to me.

edit: Quote Originally Posted by Scott Peterson

FRFR is a somewhat daunting business upfront because of the amount of pre-production and engineering skills you need to do it effectively before you get into a rehearsal, recording or a gig situation.

I've tried to explain to people that it's not really an effects box. It's a rig replacer.
Imagine dialing in your dream rig for each tone you want in each song.
They think this easy or downloadable. Then I remind them what it was like finding their own sweet spot
its a tedious process but well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom