Fletcher Munson - Home Is GREAT! Gig is BAD!!!!!

As a musician I am acutely aware of the tone and response of my multi-instrument rig onstage; there are nights when I am thrilled with my stage tone... and there are those nights when I just can't seem to get any sound that pleases me. Same gear, same hands, same ears. In addition to its near-limitless capabilities, the AxeFX -> FRFR solution allows me to control most of the variables that otherwise distract me from having a great night onstage. There are a lot of variables: stage volume, room spatial / response characteristics, temperature / humidity, and so on. Because I'm feeding FOH direct from the AxeFX, I am confident my intended tone is being delivered to the room and that our sound operator will make necessary minor adjustments. What I hear onstage from my full-range monitors is (like any amplified sound) subject to the Fletcher-Munson effect. If you are willing to invest in a high quality in-ear monitor solution, you can eliminate much of that effect.

I always tell people sophisticated technology requires a sophisticated user. My traditional guitar / pedals / tube amp rig required me to invest a lot of time into tuning my patches, and practicing with the rig, with the band, at stage volume, in the same arrangement we use onstage. My AxeFX rig is powerful and deep. I does eliminate some of the difficult-to-control variables, and it's obviously much more flexible than my previous rig, but it requires a learning curve for building even basic tones. I'll be investing rehearsal time, at home and with my band, making adjustment and getting accustomed to the entire system. This is to minimize those pesky variables. It will take some time for me to really hit my stride with the AxeFX, but I can tell you it's a satisfying experience to take every step with it.

Last edited:
OK;
Here are the presets I used for the gig last Saturday

You can download these as compressed files from my Dropbox

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55489765/Ben Horn BCA Axe2.zip

Note: JC-120BCA is the clean preset I used. I downloaded it from the forums, and tweaked it live for a few weeks in practice, and at home.
Its not like dialing in a distorted patch while everyone puts their fingers in their ears to avoid the sequels.

I used the RUSH preset based on what i learned from the replies in this thread.
Keep in mind I only had a couple of hours before the actual gig to dial in the RUSH preset. I downloaded it from a thread on the forum.

Overall it worked, but the crunch wasn't very loud, and the and neither was the soloing.

Next;
These are Ultra Presets.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55489765/Ben's Presets copy.zip

These are the presets That I have for the Ultra, which I "had" planned on using for a backup.
I ran into the same problem, the Fletcher Muns, bla bla bla.............

I used The "Suspended Animation" preset for my rhythms, which I believe is Clarks.
I used a SRV or the "Marty Friedman Clean" preset for the cleans sections on recording at home.

When I got to the practice space, same thing - shrill/bass

Lastly I dont even know where to start on a crunch patch right now for the Axe FX2
I had been wanting to use the Chris Letchford Patch, mostly because of how cleanly you can hear all the notes being played chord wise.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/81090-scale-summit-patchs.html

Also, I have a gigantic MANCRUSH since I think The Migration might be the best guitar album since Cacophony GO OFF!

Thats kinda where I'm at and where this thread originally started from.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks-
-Ben

Back
Top Bottom