Flattening the headrush curve

I just bought a HR 108 today.. If I like it enough I'll buy a second one soon.

I am just noticing most people are using the HR 108 with the FM3. I have the AX8. Do I need to use Wksmith mod too?

Do you change the mod somewhere in the AX8Edit software or on the HR 108 unit(s)?

I am just noticing most people are using the HR 108 with the FM3. I have the AX8. Do I need to use Wksmith mod too?

Do you change the mod somewhere in the AX8Edit software or on the HR 108 unit(s)?
I change it on the output 2 parametric eq using fm edit.

If I recall correctly.. the AX8 global eq is a graphic eq. The settings in this thread are for the parametric global eq on the FM3, FM9, and AxeFX 3

If I recall correctly.. the AX8 global eq is a graphic eq. The settings in this thread are for the parametric global eq on the FM3, FM9, and AxeFX 3
@WKSmith

I use an Ax8. I bought custom U2 presets because I am a U2 guitarist for a living. The presets use amp sims and are therefore designed to run through output 1. I want to attach my HR 108 to Output 1 on the AX8. Will I still encounter the problems people have in this thread? The presets are basically coded for me. I may need to do a little tweaking.

@WKSmith

I use an Ax8. I bought custom U2 presets because I am a U2 guitarist for a living. The presets use amp sims and are therefore designed to run through output 1. I want to attach my HR 108 to Output 1 on the AX8. Will I still encounter the problems people have in this thread? The presets are basically coded for me. I may need to do a little tweaking.
Yes, the headrush is built with a colored frequency response. It is not terrible but it can be improved with eq. Some people call it boomy or lacking highs.
The problem is not your presets or the ax8 but in the tuning of the headrush. This is common in many ported small cabinets, as is the frequency response deviation at the crossover frequency .

Yes, the headrush is built with a colored frequency response. It is not terrible but it can be improved with eq. Some people call it boomy or lacking highs.
The problem is not your presets or the ax8 but in the tuning of the headrush. This is common in many ported small cabinets, as is the frequency response deviation at the crossover frequency .
@WKSmith
Would I need to buy anything else to maximize my use of it? I was under the impression it was out of the box ready.

@WKSmith
Would I need to buy anything else to maximize my use of it? I was under the impression it was out of the box ready.
It is ready to use out of the box. It is loud and generally sounds good. It performs nicely in a band setting as a monitor.. even on loud stages.

It does need eq correction if you use it as reference monitors to create or tweak your presets. The presets will sound different through the PA or recording rig because of the coloring of the headrush.

It is ready to use out of the box. It is loud and generally sounds good. It performs nicely in a band setting as a monitor.. even on loud stages.

It does need eq correction if you use it as reference monitors to create or tweak your presets. The presets will sound different through the PA or recording rig because of the coloring of the headrush.
@WKSmith
I use the AX8. I hear the 108 has too much bass. I hear a lot of complaints about that. I didn't think it was a big deal as the HR crew must of anticipated people would like bass. How do you go about resolving the loud base complaint on the 108's using an AX8?

@WKSmith
I use the AX8. I hear the 108 has too much bass. I hear a lot of complaints about that. I didn't think it was a big deal as the HR crew must of anticipated people would like bass. How do you go about resolving the loud base complaint on the 108's using an AX8?
You can calm them down a lot.

Make certain the contour switch on the 108 is off (flat)

Put them on stands if you are able to.

You may be able to use a PEQ block before your OUT on the AX8 and use the settings in this post.

Or grab some faders on the global eq and pull down everything from 55Hz to 160 Hz
And pull down 250Hz a little ...while you are in there.

Cut the low frequency's in the global out eq like @WKSmith above suggests will do the trick. For their money it's really good sound; the next best option will cost you at least 4 times as much.
I have bought two small* stands - run 2 Headrush 108's in stereo - but haven't tried them out yet as I play mostly with in ears through a digital mixer (Behringer XAir18).
* hard to find by the way; most are the big ones for large FOH speakers

My HR 108 single unit got delivered this afternoon.

I simply put it up on a square 1.5 foot tall table top and I'm in heaven.

It feels just as good if not better sounding that my tube AC10.

My only complaint in some music I play the low E string can be a bit too boomy.

I'm not a fan of treble too much , I like the richness of bass , if I have to edit I have monitors.

However, I took @WKSmith advice and raised the unit off the floor and kept the countour off.

Why is it when I push in the ground lift switch I get additional noise? Is it my cables?

I'm using the humbuster 1/4" cables Fractal Audio sells with the blue end into my HR108 from output 1 on the AX8.

I have two xlr to xlr cables attached to output 1 on the AX8 going into my Focuriste 2i2 into my pc laptop into my monitors.

I may play around with adjusting the bass frequencies next on the HR108.

I see what @WKSmith is doing, he's adjusting the octaves of the bass strings by raising the frequencies.

Here's a link to what I read online today:

https://blog.sonicbids.com/understa...escribe-what-youre-hearing-to-your-sound-tech

Nice! Check out the Headrush manual as to When to use the ground lift.
Are you familiar with what a ground lift does and how they work?

Nice! Check out the Headrush manual as to When to use the ground lift.
Are you familiar with what a ground lift does and how they work?
@scottp

Aha ! Headrush manual. Who would of thought. So used to using my AX8 manuals and AX8edit, I've been spoiled. haha!

I am familiar with the ground lift switch on my AX8 and having that turned on never caused problems.

I believe ground lift on the HR108 works by reducing noise level in environments like full on bands where grounding issues may play a role in a band mix.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom