Flattening the headrush curve

@WKSmith thanks a ton for this. I got my fm3 a week ago and noticed the HR was way off, definitely not frfr. These adjustments made it react like I expected. I appreciate your hard work and sharing!!!

@WKSmith thanks a ton for this. I got my fm3 a week ago and noticed the HR was way off, definitely not frfr. These adjustments made it react like I expected. I appreciate your hard work and sharing!!!
@WKSmith quick question, as this fixes the HR great, should i leave output flat for FOH on output 2? Gonna give it a gig this weekend, thx!

Thank you very much Smith!
I know this forum is dedicated to FM but while trying to find a solution to improve the sound of the FRFR108, I came across your thread :)
I use a Headrush pedalboard with the FRFR, I only have 4 filters applicable in the global EQ though.
LOW
LOW MID
HIGH MID
HIGH
According to you, should I remove your filter 1 or 2 from my EQ ? Or should I find a compromise between 170 and 260 for the LOW filter?
Today I use the filters 1, 3, 4 et 5.
Thx in advance.

Thank you very much Smith!
I know this forum is dedicated to FM but while trying to find a solution to improve the sound of the FRFR108, I came across your thread :)
I use a Headrush pedalboard with the FRFR, I only have 4 filters applicable in the global EQ though.
LOW
LOW MID
HIGH MID
HIGH
According to you, should I remove your filter 1 or 2 from my EQ ? Or should I find a compromise between 170 and 260 for the LOW filter?
Today I use the filters 1, 3, 4 et 5.
Thx in advance.
I would think that the 5th filter at 200hz would have the least effect of it were removed.

The headrush 108 is a popular and cheap way to monitor fractal rigs. But it is far from "flat" . Flat is relative to a lot of things. But this thread aims to tame the worst deviations and make the critter behave a little better.

I picked up a miniDsp UMIC-1 and REQ software on the Mac using the FM3 as the interface . And with the headrush on the floor, contour switch off, and surrounded in foam to minimize the room..

Analyzing the RTA plots hundreds of times revealed some big dips in response that can be corrected somewhat with global eq.

The first plot in Red shows the 108 without eq. The plot in blue shows the corrected response with parametric global eq.... which is limited from the lowest and highest bands being shelving instead of peaking. But it still made a drastic difference removing the blanket and boominess.

And the second pic are the settings on the global eq .

Hope this helps someone. Your mileage, temperature, and humidity may vary

I posted in another thread (https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/frfr-question.182640/#post-2242550) that I’m contemplating getting the 108 and someone mentioned your thread about flattening the curve. I don’t have my Axe-Fx II in front of me at the moment, is this something I can do on the II, ie. Global EQ? If so, can I add the EQ settings to Output 1 but not Output 2?

Thanks

I posted in another thread (https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/frfr-question.182640/#post-2242550) that I’m contemplating getting the 108 and someone mentioned your thread about flattening the curve. I don’t have my Axe-Fx II in front of me at the moment, is this something I can do on the II, ie. Global EQ? If so, can I add the EQ settings to Output 1 but not Output 2?

Thanks
Yes you can set EQ to out 1, but my experience is that it sounds horrible on headphones.

You could add the settings as a global PARAEQ block and use it as a stomp ON and OFF. On headphones just bypass the PARAEQ block and you will have your usual sound.

Too bad you are on AFX-II , on the AFX3 you can have it setup with scene ignore.. ones the PARAEQ is ON, its stays on when switching scenes and vice versa.

Cheers

I'm curious if you have tried dialing out the 10dB shelf between 70-130 Hz -- or is that all room gain?
I isolated the cab from everything. it was in (and on) a thick blanket of foam ..It's not room gain. The Headrush is tuned to hype frequencies there pretty hard.

The first and last filter may pull out more lows. It would need more bands of filters to really smooth it out though. I tweaked freq, gain, and q and re- measured each time until the graph roughly matched the house curve of my studio monitors.

I hope to sweep some other FRFR cabs one day soon. I would like to post up graphs and settings for CLRs, Xitones, or similar.

Last edited:

Thanks
I believe the AxeFx 2 only has graphic eq for global eq.
I've never tweaked a 2 ..tbh

I couldn't get the graphic to get nearly as close to the parametric curve in the first post.

I believe the AxeFx 2 only has graphic eq for global eq.

I just checked the Wiki and you are correct, the II doesn’t have a PEQ for Global EQ, but it does have a Block PEQ. I should be able to use that and dial-in your curve. Of course, as previously mentioned, I would likely need to bypass it when listening with headphones.

The headrush 108 is a popular and cheap way to monitor fractal rigs. But it is far from "flat" . Flat is relative to a lot of things. But this thread aims to tame the worst deviations and make the critter behave a little better.

I picked up a miniDsp UMIC-1 and REQ software on the Mac using the FM3 as the interface . And with the headrush on the floor, contour switch off, and surrounded in foam to minimize the room..

Analyzing the RTA plots hundreds of times revealed some big dips in response that can be corrected somewhat with global eq.

The first plot in Red shows the 108 without eq. The plot in blue shows the corrected response with parametric global eq.... which is limited from the lowest and highest bands being shelving instead of peaking. But it still made a drastic difference removing the blanket and boominess.

And the second pic are the settings on the global eq .

Interesting! Out of curiosity have you tried to remove a little more at 200Hz? It looks like the Q could be a little wider at that freq to flatten out the hump .

I am working with Gig Performer and also use the Headrush 108. This is VERY HELPFUL! What a thorough analysis and correction method!
I tried to clone the EQ settings with the free vst TDR Nova by Tokyo Dawn Labs as well as with the graphic Marvel GEQ by Voxengo.

The settings on TDR Nova:

1: bandGain_1="-6.2"
bandQ_1="5.22"
bandFreq_1="257"
bandType_1="Bell"

2: bandGain_2="9.0"
bandQ_2="3.58"
bandFreq_2="926"
bandType_2="Bell"

3: bandGain_3="7.8"
bandQ_3="0.82"
bandFreq_3="4300"
bandType_3="Bell"

4: bandGain_4="-0.5"
bandQ_4="0.81"
bandFreq_4="19500"
bandType_4="High S"

I'm using a pair of HR 108s at home in conjunction with my studio monitors. The 108s are behind me and my monitors are in front (of course). Overkill? Maybe, but it's fun. Gives a more "in the room" experience compared to just using the monitors alone.

The settings in this thread were a great starting point for me when EQing the 108s, but what I found is that even though they sounded much better, they weren't "jiving" with my monitors. So, I just started experimenting with the global EQ to get the sound closer or "close enough" to my monitors, at least in my room.

The point is just to not be afraid to experiment. These speakers are inexpensive and can sound pretty decent for most applications with some EQ tweaking.

Back
Top Bottom