Flattening the headrush curve

Also a cheap option with a class leading Flagship device is just a waste of the inherent quality in the unit.
Unless of course, you used the flagship unit to correct the frequency response of a cheap option and got results that were similar to "flat" monitors like my wharfdales.

...By using the same analysis mic and software that was successfully deployed on pro installations with d&b audiotecnik line arrays, tine aligned RH systems, or bag end infra stuff.

You are right to throw shade at the 108 out of the box. But not this solution I am sharing and hours of work. If my rig sounded remotely like a PV or MG or frontline... I would have sold it.

Even if you get the EQ to fix it's obvious shortcomings it still has the presence and authority of a cheap stereo. Move on, you will wonder why you spent all the time as soon as you play the first chord though something that can do justice to the unit. This reminds me of an engineer friend I have that had a £1 digital watch (disposable ) and spent three hours carefully replacing the non replaceable battery only for the strap to break a day later.:tearsofjoy:

Unless of course, you used the flagship unit to correct the frequency response of a cheap option and got results that were similar to "flat" monitors like my wharfdales.

...By using the same analysis mic and software that was successfully deployed on pro installations with d&b audiotecnik line arrays, tine aligned RH systems, or bag end infra stuff.

You are right to throw shade at the 108 out of the box. But not this solution I am sharing and hours of work. If my rig sounded remotely like a PV or MG or frontline... I would have sold it.
This. It’s (very) personal but if there’s no more money left after buying the flagship the HR108s are in my humble opinion the best possible option; they’re not thát bad and for me the cost / quality ratio is a big pro.

This. It’s (very) personal but if there’s no more money left after buying the flagship the HR108s are in my humble opinion the best possible option; they’re not thát bad and for me the cost / quality ratio is a big pro.
Yes, that is definitely true. But having this gear now doesnt mean you can save up for something else to get to the most exclusive level.

This thread is for "modding" the 108 to get more out of the speaker sound quality and that is exactly what this mod does. It doesnt require nothing extra just some settings and best part: it works! For free!
As a 108 user I was already satisfied with the sound. This mod is like another firmware came out 😀. Thnx @WKSmith 🍻 Cheers

Hey there,

As I'm setting this to OUT3, i see that my signal on the right out is higher then the left out.
I looked at several presets on OUT1 and see that it is across all of them. I cannot find a setting in de setup anywhere that the output is panned some to the right channel . Left = -40 and right is -32. Its off -8 standard , never noticed this before.

20220109_141259.jpg

Anyone got an idea how to fix this so both channels are leveled.

Thnx in advance

Another question:

Are you using both inputs on the speaker? I only use one per speaker but wonder why 2 inputs and only use one.

What are your settings with the contour and ground?
I have contour high (flat line) and ground pushed in.

20220109_145732.jpg

Thnx in advance

Cheers

Yes, that is definitely true. But having this gear now doesnt mean you can save up for something else to get to the most exclusive level.

This thread is for "modding" the 108 to get more out of the speaker sound quality and that is exactly what this mod does. It doesnt require nothing extra just some settings and best part: it works! For free!
As a 108 user I was already satisfied with the sound. This mod is like another firmware came out 😀. Thnx @WKSmith 🍻 Cheers
Well that's actually what I ment to say but maybe I misformulated being a non native English speaker...

Hey there,

As I'm setting this to OUT3, i see that my signal on the right out is higher then the left out.
I looked at several presets on OUT1 and see that it is across all of them. I cannot find a setting in de setup anywhere that the output is panned some to the right channel . Left = -40 and right is -32. Its off -8 standard , never noticed this before.

View attachment 94013

Anyone got an idea how to fix this so both channels are leveled.

Thnx in advance
I had to adjust one of my amps in a dual amp preset to get the L&R levels to match. I try to run the levels up to just below clipping so they are much closer to 0dB
Search for gain staging and block levels.

The 108 switches I set flat and I have not needed to lift the ground yet. And I use just one input.

Hey there,

On the headphones the output is not good for my setup, so I changed my headrush 108 out setup to out 3. That worked good, but in the end I came to the discovery I could not play USB audio to the out 3... so bummer for the backingtracks. Even out 2 doesnt work with windows out of the box... grrrr.

Here is a PEQ block that is exactly the settings from the global EQ for the 108. On headphones it is bypassed and when using the 108 I enable it.
Now all is going through OUT1 and working just fine

Cheers

Attachments

• HR108_PEQ_MOD.blk
    478 bytes · Views: 99
Last edited:
I had to adjust one of my amps in a dual amp preset to get the L&R levels to match. I try to run the levels up to just below clipping so they are much closer to 0dB
Search for gain staging and block levels.

The 108 switches I set flat and I have not needed to lift the ground yet. And I use just one input.
WKSmith (or anyone else) - have you had the chance to pull up the numerical values for the individual Q settings? Thanks in advance!

I just wanted to thank @WKSmith. I just received my Factal FM3 the other day and through headphones, which will be 80% of my playing, sounds amazing. I bought the Headrush FRFR-108 two days later and amazing went to mediocre... too much bass across the spectrum of presets. Changing the EQ type and adjusting as was shown made the Headrush sound much better. I was on the fence about returning it but now with these tweaks, I'm pretty happy with it.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey there,

On the headphones the output is not good for my setup, so I changed my headrush 108 out setup to out 3. That worked good, but in the end I came to the discovery I could not play USB audio to the out 3... so bummer for the backingtracks. Even out 2 doesnt work with windows out of the box... grrrr.

Here is a PEQ block that is exactly the settings from the global EQ for the 108. On headphones it is bypassed and when using the 108 I enable it.
Now all is going through OUT1 and working just fine

Cheers
I prommised to have it also in another thread as download. Would you mind so I share it with others?

Here are the Qs for the original settings on my FM3
Filter1 2.327
Filter2 7.720
Filter3 6.632
Filter4 .958
Filter5 1.573

on the FM9 The closest I could get with the software knob ...
Filter 2 7.743
Filter 3 6.651
the other filter controls 1,4,&5 match the fm3 settings

Here are the Qs for the original settings on my FM3
Filter1 2.327
Filter2 7.720
Filter3 6.632
Filter4 .958
Filter5 1.573

on the FM9 The closest I could get with the software knob ...
Filter 2 7.743
Filter 3 6.651
the other filter controls 1,4,&5 match the fm3 settings
Thnx man.. appreciate it it works very good

Back
Top Bottom