1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

[fixed] Scene Volume Incr/Decr volume dropout

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx III Discussion' started by Home Skillet, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Home Skillet

Home Skillet
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Just wondering if anyone experiences a very brief volume dropout when activating Scene Volume Increment or Decrement. I'm using my MFC-101, so I'm not sure if there's something I may have misconfigured in my MIDI settings. I understand I shouldn't compare the II to the III but didn't experience volume dropout with the II. Is this expected behavior?

2. jefferski

jefferski
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

As you say, the II doesn't have any dropout, but the AX8 does. When I asked about it, Matt or somebody said that the CPU (or memory, I don't remember which) on the AX8 couldn't keep up so there was a short dropout. I'm surprised the III has this issue because it has so much power. (unless it is something related to the MFC)

3. Rain

Rain
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Hi, are you Connected to Axe-Edit at the same time ?

4. Home Skillet

Home Skillet
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

No, not connected to Axe-Edit at the same time.

5. Rain

Rain
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Ok, Let me check mine .... hold tight

6. Rain

Rain
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Ok I just checked my Set-Up...
    Axe FX III MMGT 22
    It’s not happening with my gear.
    All I hear is the 1db Boost or Cut when I engage Inc Or Dec.
    I don’t hear a Volume Dropout...

7. Hooligan

Hooligan
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Mine does this too. Axe Fx III AND MFC 101 mk iii. Additionally, if I go up or down like 10 clicks or so, there will be a long dropout followed by a weird delay effect, like the Axe is “catching up.” I posted about this a few months back, and a couple helpful people commented, but no real solutions were made available. I hope you get better traction.

Home Skillet likes this.
  8. andyp13

andyp13
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Mine has dropout also when I engage inc/Dec :(
    Not good when adjusting mid-solo.

9. Home Skillet

Home Skillet
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Thanks for checking, I appreciate it.

Rain likes this.
  10. Home Skillet

Home Skillet
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Exactly. btw, are you using an MFC-101 with your III?

11. blackmoreguitar

blackmoreguitar
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I thought this feature was meant as a convenient way to level scene volumes and not for use during performance; at least that's how I use it. It autosaves each time you hit it which would explain the dropouts. I should just caveat all that by saying I don't have a III; I have a II and an AX8.

simonp54 likes this.
  12. andyp13

andyp13
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

No, I’m using an RJM GT16

13. andyp13

andyp13
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Sometimes I need to add a little more or less volume during a show...

14. chris

chris
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

It’s not meant to give a momentary volume boost. It’s to allow setting a new value. If it causes an audio gap while playing, adjust it in between phrases. Or have another boost block or similar available for that moment if it keeps happening.

15. Tom Morris

Tom Morris
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Mine does the hickup, AFXIII MFC101 MKIII with a two button momentary switch connected to the MFC.

16. pauliusmm

pauliusmm
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I use this feature live too. Its incredibly useful, but the dropouts really suck on AX8. I know there is no solution if its CPU related, unless there was an option to disable saving. Its really convinient to boost up and down in 1 dB increments.

17. 666was999

666was999
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I guess you presume that when you program your presets right at home they simply fit with the band so you don't need to correct settings?
    I think that never happened to anyone...programming at home and it fits. There's always some corrections to make until it really fits. Among the things that are wrong volume balancing the sounds is an important point.

18. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

The main idea, whether your gear has a Level Incr function or not, is to have your levels dialed in — in the band context — before the first downbeat of the gig. That means you do your Incr/Decr stomps in rehearsal or at sound check. Once the gig is underway, any level adjustments you need to make should be global, and doable with an output knob or a null filter with a fixed boost. And those adjustments are only to satisfy what you need to hear in your monitor. THe guy at the desk will be tweaking FOH anyway, rendering your adjustments useless out front.

666was999 and blackmoreguitar like this.
  19. jefferski

jefferski
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

While I agree in principle with you and chris, this isn't how it always works.

First, there isn't always someone at FOH (or someone who's paying that much attention). I've played many shows where the person sets levels at soundcheck and may or may not even stay at the board - much less actually noticing whether some specific part is at the right volume. Of course, touring bands and larger venues etc have their own dedicated soundman but many of us don't. Ever played in a local club where the "soundman" is also the bar-back? Half the time you can't find them even when you need them for something major.

Second, even when I dial it in *perfectly* at practice (and at gig volume), I'll get to a venue and there are many variables - stage layout, room acoustics, etc - that sometimes require the ability for quick boosts or cuts. It's great to have FOH who are committed to our sound and familiar enough with our songs that they know what to do, but playing in bars you often don't get that option - so it's up to us to fix on the fly. +/- is a great solution for this, and it was much easier to use on the II which doesn't have a dropout ;-)

666was999 and King’s X - Jason like this.
  20. chris

chris
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

As I said here, it’s not meant for a “lead boost” moment. Many other ways to do this (filter block, eq, etc.)

If it causes an audio gap, simply don’t use it while playing guitar. Tap it between phrases.

I didn’t say things should be dialed in perfectly before the gig. That’s exactly why a feature like this exists. But it’s simply not a “lead boost.” It’s a level adjustment.

666was999 and jefferski like this.