[fixed] Scene Volume Incr/Decr volume dropout

Home Skillet

Inspired
Just wondering if anyone experiences a very brief volume dropout when activating Scene Volume Increment or Decrement. I'm using my MFC-101, so I'm not sure if there's something I may have misconfigured in my MIDI settings. I understand I shouldn't compare the II to the III but didn't experience volume dropout with the II. Is this expected behavior?

As you say, the II doesn't have any dropout, but the AX8 does. When I asked about it, Matt or somebody said that the CPU (or memory, I don't remember which) on the AX8 couldn't keep up so there was a short dropout. I'm surprised the III has this issue because it has so much power. (unless it is something related to the MFC)

Just wondering if anyone experiences a very brief volume dropout when activating Scene Volume Increment or Decrement. I'm using my MFC-101, so I'm not sure if there's something I may have misconfigured in my MIDI settings. I understand I shouldn't compare the II to the III but didn't experience volume dropout with the II. Is this expected behavior?

No, not connected to Axe-Edit at the same time.
Ok, Let me check mine .... hold tight

No, not connected to Axe-Edit at the same time.
Ok I just checked my Set-Up...
Axe FX III MMGT 22
It’s not happening with my gear.
All I hear is the 1db Boost or Cut when I engage Inc Or Dec.
I don’t hear a Volume Dropout...

Mine does this too. Axe Fx III AND MFC 101 mk iii. Additionally, if I go up or down like 10 clicks or so, there will be a long dropout followed by a weird delay effect, like the Axe is “catching up.” I posted about this a few months back, and a couple helpful people commented, but no real solutions were made available. I hope you get better traction.

Mine has dropout also when I engage inc/Dec :(
Not good when adjusting mid-solo.

I thought this feature was meant as a convenient way to level scene volumes and not for use during performance; at least that's how I use it. It autosaves each time you hit it which would explain the dropouts. I should just caveat all that by saying I don't have a III; I have a II and an AX8.

I thought this feature was meant as a convenient way to level scene volumes and not for use during performance; at least that's how I use it. It autosaves each time you hit it which would explain the dropouts. I should just caveat all that by saying I don't have a III; I have a II and an AX8.

Sometimes I need to add a little more or less volume during a show...

Sometimes I need to add a little more or less volume during a show...
It’s not meant to give a momentary volume boost. It’s to allow setting a new value. If it causes an audio gap while playing, adjust it in between phrases. Or have another boost block or similar available for that moment if it keeps happening.

It’s not meant to give a momentary volume boost. It’s to allow setting a new value. If it causes an audio gap while playing, adjust it in between phrases. Or have another boost block or similar available for that moment if it keeps happening.

I use this feature live too. Its incredibly useful, but the dropouts really suck on AX8. I know there is no solution if its CPU related, unless there was an option to disable saving. Its really convinient to boost up and down in 1 dB increments.

I guess you presume that when you program your presets right at home they simply fit with the band so you don't need to correct settings?
I think that never happened to anyone...programming at home and it fits. There's always some corrections to make until it really fits. Among the things that are wrong volume balancing the sounds is an important point.

The main idea, whether your gear has a Level Incr function or not, is to have your levels dialed in — in the band context — before the first downbeat of the gig. That means you do your Incr/Decr stomps in rehearsal or at sound check. Once the gig is underway, any level adjustments you need to make should be global, and doable with an output knob or a null filter with a fixed boost. And those adjustments are only to satisfy what you need to hear in your monitor. THe guy at the desk will be tweaking FOH anyway, rendering your adjustments useless out front.

The main idea, whether your gear has a Level Incr function or not, is to have your levels dialed in — in the band context — before the first downbeat of the gig. That means you do your Incr/Decr stomps in rehearsal or at sound check. Once the gig is underway, any level adjustments you need to make should be global, and doable with an output knob or a null filter with a fixed boost. And those adjustments are only to satisfy what you need to hear in your monitor. THe guy at the desk will be tweaking FOH anyway, rendering your adjustments useless out front.
While I agree in principle with you and chris, this isn't how it always works.

First, there isn't always someone at FOH (or someone who's paying that much attention). I've played many shows where the person sets levels at soundcheck and may or may not even stay at the board - much less actually noticing whether some specific part is at the right volume. Of course, touring bands and larger venues etc have their own dedicated soundman but many of us don't. Ever played in a local club where the "soundman" is also the bar-back? Half the time you can't find them even when you need them for something major.

Second, even when I dial it in *perfectly* at practice (and at gig volume), I'll get to a venue and there are many variables - stage layout, room acoustics, etc - that sometimes require the ability for quick boosts or cuts. It's great to have FOH who are committed to our sound and familiar enough with our songs that they know what to do, but playing in bars you often don't get that option - so it's up to us to fix on the fly. +/- is a great solution for this, and it was much easier to use on the II which doesn't have a dropout ;-)

It’s not meant to give a momentary volume boost.
As I said here, it’s not meant for a “lead boost” moment. Many other ways to do this (filter block, eq, etc.)

If it causes an audio gap, simply don’t use it while playing guitar. Tap it between phrases.

I didn’t say things should be dialed in perfectly before the gig. That’s exactly why a feature like this exists. But it’s simply not a “lead boost.” It’s a level adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom