1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

[fixed] Scene Volume Incr/Decr volume dropout

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx III Discussion' started by Home Skillet, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

You're right. Sometimes the gig requires an on-the-spot volume change. But when that happens, it's usually a global need. If the acoustics require more guitar, you need more guitar across the board, not just for a single scene in a single preset. Which is a perfect opportunity to reach for a Level knob once and be done with it.

jefferski likes this.
  2. jefferski

jefferski
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Yes and no. When it happens, it's usually one of my lead scenes that isn't balanced right, while the rhythm is at the right level. So just turning the whole thing up or down won't solve the issue.

andyp13 likes this.
  3. pauliusmm

pauliusmm
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Sometimes depending on the venue, stage size, my band dynamics, and many other factors my lead preset is too loud or too quiet.
    This “level adjustment” sometimes needs to happen during performance.

I havent teseted this feature on the III yet, but i hope theres no drop out.

My point is: its a killer feature and im glad we have it. If it was more suitable for live adjustment it would get even better.

4. chris

chris
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

yes. this feature is meant to be used during performance.

again, i'm simply saying don't use it while you are playing any notes.

play a phrase
    notice it's quiet
    while not playing, tap the Increase button
    play a phrase
    notice it's louder, but if you need to adjust, tap the button again while not playing

5. andyp13

andyp13
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Same, usually my clean rhythm sound is ok, I also use the inc/Dec on my solo scene as sometimes it’s too quiet or a little too loud.

6. vangrieg

vangrieg
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

How do you notice something is quiet during a gig? I mean, you’re on the stage, how do you know how you sound to the audience?

7. chris

chris
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

It seems they’re judging what they hear on stage. A valid indicator of something being quiet.

8. Tom Morris

Tom Morris
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Up till 2.05 firmware Volume Increment/Decrement only worked on output 1. Personally I use output 1 for my stage monitoring and output 2 to front FOH. So in that way it doesn't affect FOH. Slacking haven't installed 2.05 which adds the ability to Volume Increment/Decrement to output 2. The hick-up isn't a deal breaker just a thing. Not a good thing to do on a held singing note but a handy tool none the less. Sure am happy that it's a feature.

9. pauliusmm

pauliusmm
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I can notice my lead preset is too lout or quiet RELATIVE to my main rythm preset that im playing most of the time.

jefferski likes this.
  10. Home Skillet

Home Skillet
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I get both sides of the fence here in terms of when to dial in levels. In a perfect environment I wouldn't need to adjust while performing, but there are some venues where this isn't the case. I guess my main question at this point is, would this be impossible to make this feature where the sound doesn't drop out? The Axe-Fx II can do this without drop out. I understand this is a complete re-platform of the Axe-Fx II and I shouldn't compare the two. I'd just like to know if it can be done.

11. blackmoreguitar

blackmoreguitar
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I need to try this again on my II because I don't remember it being without drop outs; I know the Ax8 has drop outs. My Ax8 board has a dedicated foot switch for volume increment / decrement, which is used to tweak scene levels in rehearsals. At a gig if I felt couldn't be heard, or a scene was too loud or whatever, I would just wait for a suitable gap in the music and step on the switch then if I wanted to tweak volumes. I have to say at all the gigs we play, which admittedly isn't that many, I have no idea what the sound is like out front until people tell me afterwards, so messing with volumes during a gig is potentially a recipe for disaster.

Mind you on the AX8, my solo boost level is controlled by a knob in a box expression pedal so I would use that to tweak boost levels for solos, but do it during sound check ideally. On the Axe II I use an RAC12; this has a dedicated knob controlling the level on a global filter block for solo boosts, but the Axe II stays home these days.

12. Home Skillet

Home Skillet
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

This has been fixed in FW 2.05. Thanks FAS Team!

"Changed Volume Inc/Dec behavior so that muting is not performed."

Hooligan likes this.
  13. Rain

Rain
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Don't update yet... problem with 2.05 Firmware they pulled the Link ...

14. Rain

Rain
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Firmware 2.05 Link is Back Online

Home Skillet likes this.
  15. Rain

Rain
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Downloaded 2.05 everything is working perfect....

Home Skillet likes this.
  16. Tom Morris

Tom Morris
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Was glad to see this was addressed in firmware 2.05 final.

Home Skillet likes this.