Firmware Version 7.12 is Ready

Wow, firmware and beta editor! I've been too lazy to update the firmware lately (don't want to lose the V30 cab, can't be arsed uploading it as a user cab :lol:) , but with the new editor, maybe I'll get around to finally doing it. The CPU reductions are exciting enough alone. :)

DNW said:
Wow, firmware and beta editor! I've been too lazy to update the firmware lately (don't want to lose the V30 cab, can't be arsed uploading it as a user cab :lol:) , but with the new editor, maybe I'll get around to finally doing it. The CPU reductions are exciting enough alone. :)

Don't believe the editor works properly unless you bump up to 7.12, is that right gang :?:

Update from 7.04 to 7.12.

The cab drive is wonderful. I add a bit of drive in the clean patches... it add some "used & abused" warm cone sound... think about early Fender twin...
I also add cab drive to crunch patches, lowering the master of amp block. The sound is a little less compress and more "warm and compressed" in the upper register.

That's first run on headphones. I May be wrong! :roll: :twisted:

Smilzo said:
That's first run on headphones. I May be wrong! :roll: :twisted:

I always find that listening to the AXE FX through headphones sounds different to me than playing through full range monitors. Every time I get used to hearing my patches with headphones on, I'm always surprised after I take them off and hear it in the room through the monitors.

YMMV

I'm very sorry for asking this (perhaps) stupid question, but what is a MIDI librarian? :oops:

EDIT: Nevermind, Google is my friend. And after a crapload of pure luck (I don't know how I did it) I managed to update to 7.12.

I liked the AxeFx reverbs from the start on - later I found that my Lexicon reverb sounds better (to my ears) - now I have the Lexicon IN the AxeFx - GREAT !

AxeFx 7.12 with this nice Reverb, my own CAB IR's and some tweaking gave me my dream blues sounds - very impressed again.

BennyBanana said:
I'm very sorry for asking this (perhaps) stupid question, but what is a MIDI librarian? :oops:

EDIT: Nevermind, Google is my friend. And after a crapload of pure luck (I don't know how I did it) I managed to update to 7.12.
This is funny. I can visualize some poor guy who has no clue and actually stumbles through the process of (a) identifying a proper and functional midi librarian, (b) installing it, (c) configuring it properly, (d) decyphering its stunningly non-intuitive interface, and last but not least, (e) successfully updating the Axe-FX firmware. I mean, the probabilities of that working for someone who knows what they're doing are moderate, imagine someone who manages to "luck" through it all.

I'm not teasing you, BennyBanana, just flabbergasted that you didn't have to ask any more questions. You should buy a lottery ticket, this is a lucky streak you're going through.

Radley said:
Cliff - the new extended reverb predelay sounds huge! Mucho Thankx! :p

added the predelay increase to 500ms in to the WIKI release notes, since it wasn't in the regular one.

Dpoirier said:
BennyBanana said:

This is funny. I can visualize some poor guy who has no clue and actually stumbles through the process of (a) identifying a proper and functional midi librarian, (b) installing it, (c) configuring it properly, (d) decyphering its stunningly non-intuitive interface, and last but not least, (e) successfully updating the Axe-FX firmware. I mean, the probabilities of that working for someone who knows what they're doing are moderate, imagine someone who manages to "luck" through it all.

I'm not teasing you, BennyBanana, just flabbergasted that you didn't have to ask any more questions. You should buy a lottery ticket, this is a lucky streak you're going through.

Haha, definitely. :mrgreen:

I still don't know how I did it though... :? I just put midi cables all over the place, not sure if I selected midi thru somewhere, and then pressed send. It obviously worked somehow, because I now have the 7.12 if I check Firmware in the Ultra. But if I were to guide someone through how I did it I would'nt have the slightest idea... :oops: :lol:

Btw, when upgrading to 7.12 the MIDI IN LED wasn't lit. Should it be unlit, or is mine broken?

BennyBanana said:
Dpoirier said:
BennyBanana said:

Haha, definitely. :mrgreen:

I still don't know how I did it though... :? I just put midi cables all over the place, not sure if I selected midi thru somewhere, and then pressed send. It obviously worked somehow, because I now have the 7.12 if I check Firmware in the Ultra. But if I were to guide someone through how I did it I would'nt have the slightest idea... :oops: :lol:

Btw, when upgrading to 7.12 the MIDI IN LED wasn't lit. Should it be unlit, or is mine broken?
:D :D :D :D :D

Nothing wrong with your Ultra, the led does not light on firmware, or bank uploads for that matter. Only on the smaller messages. Not sure why, maybe a sysex thing.

The tempo led stops blinking with bank uploads. When it starts blinking again it's done. Of course with firmware the Axe restarts, that's a good clue that it's done too.

Thank you Cliff!
The improved tuner is great, works a lot better now (and it was good already).

But:
Did you change something at the amp or cab block?
I've two main rhythm patches, with nothing more in there than:

first patch: [amp=new recto]-[ParaEQ]-[cab=4x12 German w/R121]
2nd patch: [amp=usa IIc+ 2]-[ParaEQ,bypassed]-[cab=4x12 Cali, no mic]

After update to 7.12 (from 7.08) both patches sound like they are a bit muddier, which means more response between 100 and 250 Hz, or slightly
more upper bass and lower mids.
I recorded a short clip, then put fw 7.08 back on and then recorded the same material, and I still hear a difference between both (at first I thought I'd only feel it when playing my guitar).
I even analysed the frequency spectrum and compared, with similar results, although I'm not sure about the accuracy.

Am I fooling myself, or got something changed?
Other users with such experience?

Seb

Sebastian said:
Thank you Cliff!

But:

After update to 7.12 (from 7.08) both patches sound like they are a bit muddier, which means more response between 100 and 250 Hz, or slightly
I recorded a short clip, then put fw 7.08 back on and then recorded the same material, and I still hear a difference between both (at first I thought I'd only feel it when playing my guitar).
I even analysed the frequency spectrum and compared, with similar results, although I'm not sure about the accuracy.

Seb
+1

In case you didn't see my post right above your own:

"NOTHING CHANGED IN THOSE AMP OR CAB MODELS!!!!!!!!"

As the man said... nothing has changed... but if you perceive changes then you really should post clips that can be scrutinized to make a case for yourselves.

browlett said:
I always find that listening to the AXE FX through headphones sounds different to me than playing through full range monitors. Every time I get used to hearing my patches with headphones on, I'm always surprised after I take them off and hear it in the room through the monitors.

YMMV

Most headphones, even supposed flat response studio grade headphones, have both a colored and limited frequency response. Often, part of the culprit is the quality of the headphone amplifier. Additionally, various studio grade headphones can sound night and day from each other. Also keep in mind that when listening on headphones, the relationship between the left and right channel is very different than with listening through studio monitors--there is more apparent separation in the stereo field and there isn't the same interaction between the two channels, so comb filtering due to phase differences and other important issues aren't noticed. Headphones can be a good reference for certain things, but unless you are ONLY going to use headphones to play, it is always preferable to create your patches through reference monitors (if for recording) or through your power amp and speaker set-up (if for live use).

Cheers,
-Matt

Sebastian said:
Thank you Cliff!

But:

Seb

FractalAudio said:
Nothing changed in the amp models or those cabs.

Well I experienced it also, so I got back to 7.06 to check it

It seems that the LEVEL parameter in the AMP block acts more like a master parameter.
What I mean is that if you turn it up if give you more distortion.

firmware 7.6 - expression pedal hooked on the LEVEL modifier of the AMP block
http://www.voes.be/temp/axe-fx_07.6.mp3

firmware 7.12 - same thing, notice how much more distortion I get
http://www.voes.be/temp/axe-fx_07.12.mp3

(of course using the same guitar, same patch and no postproduction)

Once again people not reading the release notes and then claiming a bug exists...

Quote:
"Increased amount of drive available in Cab block. Any presets using the Drive parameter will need to be auditioned."

Back
Top Bottom